Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another one takes it from behind...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
infraredcalvin
Crap, got rear ended yesterday, thankfully it wasn’t too hard and nobody was hurt, but not what I wanted on my shakedown run after getting everything up to snuff for next weeks autocross...

That was a really nice, straight rear chrome bumper...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JOEPROPER
That would upset me. hissyfit.gif headbang.gif Glad you're ok. Now you need to fix it.
sithot
Lucky. Could have been worse!

DIMINISHED VALUE CLAIM!!!

ValcoOscar
Glad you're ok....

I've got ONE last bumper

Pm me

Oscar

I'm in OC

Click to view attachment

infraredcalvin
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Apr 20 2019, 09:45 AM) *

Glad you're ok....

I've got ONE last bumper

Pm me

Oscar

I'm in OC

Click to view attachment

Oscar, I was hoping you’d chime in on that smilie_pokal.gif
Tom_T
Take Oscar up on his bumper offer & make their insurance pay for it all!

Yes - could've been worse - like mine that was right after a high dollar (in `85 $s) rolling resto/rebuild, which has had me hung up for 34 years now! sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Front end was damaged too, cuz the ditz pushed it 2 feet forward into a parking structure column at the LF corner - so both ends mashed! mad.gif

Click to view attachment

Hey Oscar - I have a nice rechromed rear bumper already, but do you have any cherry front chrome bumpers with the tit-holes & back braces? confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
dr914@autoatlanta.com
thankfully not too bad. The bumper shop could straighten and rechrome for 400 I am sure, then just a bit of pulling on the rear panel and it is saved.

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Apr 20 2019, 09:21 AM) *

Crap, got rear ended yesterday, thankfully it wasn’t too hard and nobody was hurt, but not what I wanted on my shakedown run after getting everything up to snuff for next weeks autocross...

That was a really nice, straight rear chrome bumper...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
Thanks, guys I was pretty mad cause it was such a stupid hit at a 4 way stop. She rolled into me, probably distracted... but the look on her face was one of those - great, another thing to pile on a string of bad luck lately. I’m a bit there myself, but taking in stride. Usually I drive my 930 on Friday’s, I’m glad I was driving this instead of that or even my dd as the hassle would have been much higher, the cost to fix either of those would have been exponentially higher as well.

I had actually told myself when buckling in, “I hope I don’t get rear ended today”... some how I knew it was coming...
ValcoOscar
Hey Tom

I only have ONE front that is not a rechrome candidate...its straight but most probably PAINT quality at best.

I'm holding this rear for Pat.

Tom...if you have a decent front I can still recondition at GB prices.

I've got 3 of Bens @mb911 GT fronts at chrome and one front that belongs to Nathan. All else done and delivered. 108 bumpers

Oscar

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 20 2019, 10:03 AM) *

Yes - could've been worse - like mine that was right after a high dollar (in `85 $s) rolling resto/rebuild, which has had me hung up for 34 years now! sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Front end was damaged too, cuz the ditz pushed it 2 feet forward into a parking structure column at the LF corner - so both ends mashed! mad.gif

Click to view attachment

Hey Oscar - I have a nice rechromed rear bumper already, but do you have any cherry front chrome bumpers with the tit-holes & back braces? confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

infraredcalvin
One of my buddies had never realized the spoiler was painted yellow on the back, which really doesn’t go with the car. The PO told me he had it painted yellow so that “dumbass drivers” wouldn’t rear end him...

dry.gif
Mikey914
Except the color blind ones.....
Yes could be much worse. Take Oscar up on the bumper they don't get much better than that. A relatively easy fix, with the right parts.
Coondog
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Apr 20 2019, 10:05 AM' post='2707101']
thankfully not too bad. The bumper shop could straighten and rechrome for 400 I am sure, then just a bit of pulling on the rear panel and it is saved.

$400.00 blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif maybe in Atlanta but not in Calif..........
mepstein
[quote name='Coondog' date='Apr 20 2019, 02:12 PM' post='2707123']
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Apr 20 2019, 10:05 AM' post='2707101']

$400.00 blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif maybe in Atlanta but not in Calif..........
[/quote]
The $400 that Oscar did on the group buy was a gift to the 914 community first.gif
Chi-town
I have a decent rear for $200
Tom_T
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Apr 20 2019, 10:17 AM) *

Hey Tom

I only have ONE front that is not a rechrome candidate...its straight but most probably PAINT quality at best.

I'm holding this rear for Pat.

Tom...if you have a decent front I can still recondition at GB prices.

I've got 3 of Bens @mb911 GT fronts at chrome and one front that belongs to Nathan. All else done and delivered. 108 bumpers

Oscar

Thanx Oscar!

Unfortunately I don't have a front restoration/rechrome candidate as yet Oscar, but I'll keep your offer in mind if I find something descent to use.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
infraredcalvin
Might as well keep this updated, you guys can go though this nonsense with me drunk.gif

A quick recap:

I bought this car late last year from world member @jacquot , I’ve been prepping and upgrading the safety equipment so I could run DE and autocross with the hopes of wheel to wheel racing later on.

I finally got the seats and harnesses mounted with decent headroom for a helmet (without cutting out the floor cross brace). I decided to drive to work for the first time since all the prepping as a shakedown run - about 30 miles each way. Had a little snafu with the fuel pump in the am (I kicked the fuse out of the holder), but was quickly fixed in the gas station parking lot and I was on my way.

Headed home for the day was where I got punted. A little sore today, I’m going to have some issues later on with that, I can tell, but back to the car.

Today I reluctantly cancelled my registration for the POC autocross next sat, and informed my Luftgetkult buddy that we wouldn’t be arriving to luft6 in the 914 to celebrate the 914’s 50th. sad.gif

After the hit I was able to get her started ok and drive her home. Gauges were losing power every time I hit the brakes, blinkers weren’t working either. Turned out to be a missing fuse. Must’ve jarred loose with the hit, ended up finding it on the floor later in the day. Hmm, between that and the fuel pump issue earlier, it might be time for a JWest upgrade???

I also took survey of the body damage from above. I’ll jack her up in the am and verify motor and trans mounts are unaffected.

infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 20 2019, 10:03 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom, Ive seen pics of your car, sorry to see it like that. I’ve seen so many come on here showing their rear end damage I always felt it was only a matter of time. These taillights are low and not as bright as the in your face things you see today... then there are the distractions...
North Coast Jim
And when you have this fixed don't forget to add a third brake light. Mine was a Walmart buy and I got 2 lights. Added this one to my car and the other to a friends, OLAF's, 914. Easy install and I hid the wires holding them in position with butyl left over from my windshield install.

Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
Ok, first round of bad news. Been having a lot of trouble even finding a local shop to work on a 914, any ideas in so cal are welcome.

A member here that does collision work did me a favor and took a quick look at some photos. The hit was hard enough to buckle both rear fenders as well as punch the rear panel in by one of the taillights. The resultant damage is inward and downward. For a correct pull it was recommended that a shop with a Celette bench and 914 fixtures do the work to pull out correctly.

I’m looking for a good estimate to fix, for the insurance company, I’d rather not have it totaled. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat
mepstein
Sounds like you are into real money. Look for a good Porsche shop. If they can do high end 911’s they should have no problem fixing your 914. Good luck with the repair and glad you weren’t hurt.
lierofox
QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Apr 22 2019, 05:52 AM) *

And when you have this fixed don't forget to add a third brake light. Mine was a Walmart buy and I got 2 lights. Added this one to my car and the other to a friends, OLAF's, 914. Easy install and I hid the wires holding them in position with butyl left over from my windshield install.

Click to view attachment

I ended up making a bracket and putting mine on the engine lid, since mine doesn't have the Porsche lettering on it. IPB Image

But yes, high mount stop lights, can't recommend them enough.
SteveL
you're going to need a left rear taillight and lens, bumper top, and bumper. Sounds like Oscar has a great bumper, and I bet George has an NOS left taillight and bumper top in the special stash that could be bought. Get the price quotes and forward them to the body shop/insurance company of the person who hit you. You have the right to repair the car with all OEM factory parts.
Tom_T
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Apr 25 2019, 05:12 PM) *

Ok, first round of bad news. Been having a lot of trouble even finding a local shop to work on a 914, any ideas in so cal are welcome.

A member here that does collision work did me a favor and took a quick look at some photos. The hit was hard enough to buckle both rear fenders as well as punch the rear panel in by one of the taillights. The resultant damage is inward and downward. For a correct pull it was recommended that a shop with a Celette bench and 914 fixtures do the work to pull out correctly.

I’m looking for a good estimate to fix, for the insurance company, I’d rather not have it totaled. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

Pat - I sent you a PM.

Tom
///////
infraredcalvin
Got it Tom, thanks a bunch!
Spoke
That sucks. Unfortunately welcome to the club of being on the same road as distracted asshole drivers.

Hopefully the insurance company will be kind to you.

Here's my 914 being returned home after a 1/2 mile trip ended with a rear-end. Funny thing while we were both sitting in the State Trooper vehicle afterwards, the young girl was talking to her dad on the phone and said "It's not too bad"

The 914 was totaled but I did get $8700 for the total and bought the car back.

Click to view attachment

I un-fucked up the car as best I could using basically a boat winch from HF and a scissor jack from my Audi to push and pull the metal out in my garage along with a lot of hammering and bondo.

Click to view attachment

I used some of the money to buy this almost rust-free '74 2L with a burnt clutch.

Click to view attachment

Although no where near perfect the 914 is still running.

Click to view attachment

I sold the green '74 for a good penny and bought this beast so the wreck of my '71 914 worked out in the end. Now I have a 914 with a 2056cc engine and an '86 930.

Good luck with your repairs and working with the insurance company.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
How does insurance work in CA? Will the offending driver's insurance be paying for the repairs? That's how it works in PA.

If their insurance will be paying for the repairs, they will try to cheap out as much as possible.

With my accident, it was recommended to gather all receipts, repairs, new parts purchased, purchase price of the car, etc., and I got for sale info on beater 914s, mid, and high end 914s to show value of the car.

Plus I totally detailed the car to make it look as good as I could. When the insurance adjuster arrived at the house, I had a local 356 restorer friend stop over. It couldn't have worked out better with Chris there. He had on his sweater with Porsche logo and talked very knowledgeable about the 914 and repairs to it.

The adjuster had never seen a 914 before and had no idea what it would take to fix it. That's where Chris's experience and suggestions were valuable. The adjuster asked Chris who could repair this and he said no one around here but he knows a shop in New Jersey who could do the work.

rhodyguy
When the carport fell on the 75', the adjuster told me all 4 damaged fenders were an easy fix as they just bolted on. "Can you show me where the fasteners are located?". He looked for them as I stood there watching. He had owned a body shop and knew all about 914s, or so he said.
Tdskip
Oh crud - sorry to see what happened.
KELTY360
You might want to contact McMark (Original Customs). I know he’s in Michigan, but he’s got a Cellite and has offered a service for transportation. Worth a try.
90quattrocoupe
One of the things I like about agreed to insurance. I previously had a car that was totaled and I had agreed to insurance on it. When the other person's insurance tried to low ball me, I just showed them the policy and they paid my agreed to value.

Greg W.
infraredcalvin
@ValcoOscar tried to PM you a few times, must not be getting through.

Please contact me regarding the bumper, the shop is looking for it to start the rear panel pull.

Things going well, shop is doing a diligent job with the repair.
pete000
This is my biggest fear driving the 914 in today's world of giant tanks and distracted drivers on their wireless devices.

I have been seriously thinking about mounting these on my rear trunk lid when driving. driving.gif
Tdskip
Good to hear this is progressing and you are happy for the work.
mepstein
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jun 4 2019, 04:38 PM) *

This is my biggest fear driving the 914 in today's world of giant tanks and distracted drivers on their wireless devices.

I have been seriously thinking about mounting these on my rear trunk lid when driving. driving.gif

Buy Spoke's brake lights. They are significantly brighter than stock or single led bulbs and don't melt your tail light housing.
drem914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 4 2019, 02:46 PM) *

Buy Spoke's brake lights. They are significantly brighter than stock or single led bulbs and don't melt your tail light housing.

agree.gif
76-914

That will be my Christmas present to myself this year. piratenanner.gif
infraredcalvin

Definitely considering the leds, especially since I was thinking about putting smoked lenses on after the fix... chair.gif Yeah, not too smart.... lol-2.gif
thelogo
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Apr 25 2019, 05:12 PM) *

Thanks,

Pat

R and R auto body 330 s irwindale ave

There is a guy on irwindale in azuza who
Does amazing work . many hot vw mag cars .
He did a great job on my 914 .

But i would pay him cash and then go after the insurance co. Just my 2c.

Dont even let insurance look at it .cause they of course
Will want ti total it ,low ball you and screw you .

Fix it and send em the bill
914Toy
Back to your original question, Art’s Place in Costa Mesa does very nice metal restoration and paint work on my 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.