Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tail shift, shift lever
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vincerobustello
I have a tremendous amount of wear in the cage on the tailshaft shift lever. does anyone have experience replacing this shaft? I found a replacement on Ebay but I am not sure what is involved in replacing the shaft. guidance and or illustration would be greatly appreciated.

VinceClick to view attachment
rhodyguy
Fairly easy as it lives at the back end of the trans. Looking up you'll see a small access cover. You need to drain the gear lube before you pull the cover and there will be some left where you have to work. Look at Fig 5.21 on page 86 of your Haynes. #14 has to be removed to start the rod piece into case. Do all of the disposables. The pin is the Tripple Rolled variety. Make sure you can remove the fill plug before you drain the lube.
vincerobustello
Thanks, I will order the shaft now that I know that I don't have to pull the case apart
rhodyguy
if they're old, now would be the time renew ALL of the linkage bushings. You're going to need a new gasket for the cover.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
remove the bottom access plate drain the trans fluid and knock out the roll bar pin. We usually weld up and grind the rear lever and rear shift bar back to factory specs rather than replacing the lever which is unavailable new

QUOTE(vincerobustello @ Apr 21 2019, 04:31 PM) *

I have a tremendous amount of wear in the cage on the tailshaft shift lever. does anyone have experience replacing this shaft? I found a replacement on Ebay but I am not sure what is involved in replacing the shaft. guidance and or illustration would be greatly appreciated.

VinceClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.