Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wooden pedal board
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tmc914
I'm new to Porsche and have only been reading about them since I bought the 914 about a year ago. While tracing a brake pressure warning wire I have fallen into the rabbit hole and found a wooden pedal plate. Seems like it should be made of metal. Is wood okay here?
Click to view attachment
Spoke
The pedal board is not metal. I think it may be wood or some type of wood-like material.
rgalla9146
On the drivers side it is thin (5/16" ? ) plywood painted black.
It would have an adjustable throttle stop mounted to the right and an adjustable
clutch pedal stop to the left.
Your picture shows a homemade item.
bdstone914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 21 2019, 05:50 PM) *

On the drivers side it is thin (5/16" ? ) plywood painted black.
It would have an adjustable throttle stop mounted to the right and an adjustable
clutch pedal stop to the left.
Your picture shows a homemade item.

Early up to 73 the pedal boards were plywood. Later were a thick fiberboard. Both did not hold up well.
They are important for the clutch and accelerator stops
914rubber.com has marine grade plywood ones.
RenoRoger
QUOTE(tmc914 @ Apr 21 2019, 05:30 PM) *

I'm new to Porsche and have only been reading about them since I bought the 914 about a year ago. While tracing a brake pressure warning wire I have fallen into the rabbit hole and found a wooden pedal plate. Seems like it should be made of metal. Is wood okay here?

Mine was a kind of composition board. It was falling apart. I took it to local sheet metal shop. Using the old one as a template they cut me one out of sturdy aluminum. Works really well.
horizontally-opposed
Interesting to hear of the degradation experienced by others. The original wood board in my early '73 seems to be in great shape every time I take it out. My pedal cluster is a mess by comparison, and is in need of a rebuild.

Wonder what the difference is? My car's chassis has logged 255,000~ miles and lived outside in the rain when my brother had the car 1986-1988~.

idea.gif
Larmo63
My '73 has the original plywood version too and it seems to be holding up quite well.

Pete, contact Bruce Stone for an expert pedal rebuild.

He's the man.
DaveO90s4
Even a 1995 928 GTS uses wooden board to cover the electrics on the passenger floor. I see things in my 1990 928 that hail from my 1956 356!! Something marketing text about "evolution etc etc" comes to mind
bdstone914
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 21 2019, 10:13 PM) *

Interesting to hear of the degradation experienced by others. The original wood board in my early '73 seems to be in great shape every time I take it out. My pedal cluster is a mess by comparison, and is in need of a rebuild.

Wonder what the difference is? My car's chassis has logged 255,000~ miles and lived outside in the rain when my brother had the car 1986-1988~.

idea.gif

I found the plywood ones dry out and eliminate. The fiber ones restore.
Should be glad to do a legal set for you Pete.
Bruce
bbrock
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 21 2019, 11:35 PM) *

My '73 has the original plywood version too and it seems to be holding up quite well.

Same here. Even though I have a new 914Rubber pedal board on hand, I decided to put my original plywood board back in my 73 because it was still in good shape.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 21 2019, 10:35 PM) *

Pete, contact Bruce Stone for an expert pedal rebuild.

He's the man.

Interesting. Mine seems near new, last I checked. I remembered thinking at one point, "Now this was a good idea...lightweight, does the job, and won't rust."

Thanks, man—was thinking I'd contact Bruce when the time comes to tackle my floors. icon8.gif

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 22 2019, 03:40 AM) *

Bruce

Hmm. Wonder if it's a temperature thing? Maybe dry heat over the decades does them in? Or?

Thanks, Bruce! When the time comes, I would like to restore the pedal set I've been pushing since high school and have you in mind.

michael7810
Can someone post a picture of the clutch pedal stop?? My car does not have one. TIA
Chris914n6
?? I have a few 75s that are ply and for all indications OEM.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Apr 22 2019, 10:19 AM) *

Can someone post a picture of the clutch pedal stop?? My car does not have one. TIA

Adjustable clutch pedal stop
rgalla9146
I just noticed different versions of wood toe boards.
notice the right side and the pedal slots
Mikey914
I the top one is a later version as the foam cavity that was added for the EGR counter. We make that style as it’s a universal fit.

We even stain them

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/p...l-floor-board-1
maf914
Various vendors have offered aluminum pedal boards. Maddogsmotorsports has these:

https://maddogsmotorsports.com/914-accessories

AZBanks
What is the trick to removing and reinstalling the pedal board. I can not figure out how to get it out of the car. Do you have to remove the pedal cluster to get the board out?
ndfrigi
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Sep 7 2019, 04:47 PM) *

What is the trick to removing and reinstalling the pedal board. I can not figure out how to get it out of the car. Do you have to remove the pedal cluster to get the board out?

No need to remove the cluster. loosen the clutch pedal stopper (if u still have it) from the clutch hole of the board. then try to remove the clutch pedal 1st out of the board then just twisting the board while trying to remove the board out of the brake pedal.
mepstein
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Sep 7 2019, 07:47 PM) *

No, you just work it over the pedals. Pull the rod out of the back of the accelerator pedal to give some extra space.
bbrock
Taking the rubber pads off the brake and clutch pedals makes it easier to get out, but you can get it out with them on too. it's just a little snug getting the pedals through the holes is all.
ClayPerrine
If you really want a metal one, I will be happy to send you the one I have. It is made of 3/8th thick diamond plate steel, and weighs about 4LBS. It doesn't have any provision for a clutch stop, and I need one with a hydraulic clutch. So I just took it out and put a stock one back in.

It is yours for the cost of shipping. If you were local to me, I would just hand it to you.

bdstone914
@AZBanks

Remove the rubber pedal covers.It is a little tricky but pull it outward at the bottom and then up and off the pedals.

Bruce
twistedstang
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 22 2019, 06:40 AM) *

idea.gif

Bruce

Those are beautiful! @bdstone914
bdstone914
QUOTE(twistedstang @ Sep 8 2019, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 22 2019, 06:40 AM) *

idea.gif

Bruce

Those are beautiful! @bdstone914

I recent one.
mlindner
Yup, just trace onto a new piece of 1/4 inch ply, sand and paint. Easy and fun. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
mlindner
But, Mikey's is a great product and priced right....
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(mlindner @ Sep 8 2019, 03:53 PM) *

But, Mikey's is a great product and priced right....

Are the 914 Rubber boards exactly Same; who makes the carpet piece that fits around the pedals ? Didn't see one at 914 Rubber
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.