Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who can cut a new key?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FlacaProductions
I have a new black plastic-head key from Porsche - and a non-Porsche/all metal key - as well as an original Porsche red key. Can any good locksmith cut the new black one for me or does that large head get in the way?
Tom_T
Should be any competent locksmith can do it.

Probably best to used the red original for the pattern, since it will be original (unless you have the little key code tag as well, which they can use). The only difference between the red & black is the red lacks the longitudenal grove needed to open the glove box, F & R trunk locks.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
FlacaProductions
Great - thanks!
bbrock
FYI, when I had a key cut from code, the locksmith cut a metal blank from the code on one side only. That is now my "master" for cutting new keys in the future. As he explained it, since it is cut on only one side, it can't be used as a key so will never be worn out. This way, I always have a fresh cut profile to make new keys from. I thought that was a neat idea and thought I'd pass it on.
Amphicar770
Ace hardware cut the blank I provided. Works great.
FlacaProductions
Thanks @amphicar770 - and THAT is a good tip @bbrock .
Gatornapper
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 22 2019, 12:23 PM) *

Probably best to used the red original for the pattern, since it will be original (unless you have the little key code tag as well, which they can use). The only difference between the red & black is the red lacks the longitudenal grove needed to open the glove box, F & R trunk locks.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Priceless knowledge, Tom. Thank you from all of us who need new black keys.

Suncoast Porsche, where I get parts for my Cayman, told me the black key has to be ordered from your local Porsche dealer......

GN
bbrock
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Apr 23 2019, 07:54 AM) *

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Suncoast Porsche, where I get parts for my Cayman, told me the black key has to be ordered from your local Porsche dealer......

GN

You can get genuine Porsche black or red blanks lots of places online in addition to through dealerships. The best price I found was through Sunset Porsche online but still about $32 for a blank key though. You can also get a non-original black key that looks similar to the genuine key but without "Porsche" stamped in, and a little different shape on the plastic part. I got one from member @Tweet for just a few dollars. If you just want a functional key, any locksmith should have an all metal blank that will work like the black key and open all the locks.
Gatornapper
Tom -

Took my original door handles to the best locksmith shop in town, removed the barrels for them, they "read" the pieces and cut new keys for me, and gave me the original code.

Their new keys worked smoothly in the new door handles I got from Chi-town at their shop when I put them back together.

Came home, new keys work fine in glove box and trunk (and door handles), but do NOT work in the ignition. ?????????

They said they can fix it - taking keys and door handles back today. I took original red key with me yesterday, and will take it back today.

Before I go - I'm sure you know exactly what has to be done......?????

TIA,

GN

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 23 2019, 08:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Apr 23 2019, 07:54 AM) *

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

GN

You can get genuine Porsche black or red blanks lots of places online in addition to through dealerships. The best price I found was through Sunset Porsche online but still about $32 for a blank key though. You can also get a non-original black key that looks similar to the genuine key but without "Porsche" stamped in, and a little different shape on the plastic part. I got one from member @Tweet for just a few dollars. If you just want a functional key, any locksmith should have an all metal blank that will work like the black key and open all the locks.

bbrock
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ May 7 2019, 05:24 AM) *

Tom -

Took my original door handles to the best locksmith shop in town, removed the barrels for them, they "read" the pieces and cut new keys for me, and gave me the original code.

Their new keys worked smoothly in the new door handles I got from Chi-town at their shop when I put them back together.

Came home, new keys work fine in glove box and trunk (and door handles), but do NOT work in the ignition. ?????????

They said they can fix it - taking keys and door handles back today. I took original red key with me yesterday, and will take it back today.

Before I go - I'm sure you know exactly what has to be done......?????

TIA,

GN

Sounds like you just need to rekey the ignition switch. Here's a great article that tells how to remove the cylinder and do the rekey: http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Home Depot should just have to be careful and precise (as opposed to cutting a 944 key which is simple)

We have two key cutting machines here and the only caveat is not to copy a an aftermarket key on to an expensive factory blank, as the aftermarket keys have usually been hap hazardly cut and usually as well, cut too deep.

As you can see by the pictures, I have enough 914 keys to start anyones 914!!!!!

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Apr 22 2019, 11:18 AM) *

I have a new black plastic-head key from Porsche - and a non-Porsche/all metal key - as well as an original Porsche red key. Can any good locksmith cut the new black one for me or does that large head get in the way?
Click to view attachment
Dr916Gt
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Apr 22 2019, 01:18 PM) *

Hanks hardware does the best job out there and they don’t charge a bunch I use them all the time. beerchug.gif
Gatornapper
Ok, more info today.

Ignition switch is NOT original, was changed, is different from all other locks - Valet key works in ignition, no where else.

Key shop duplicated Valet key so I have another ignition switch, and the keys they made yesterday work in all doors/trunk/glove compartment.

So in reality I have no Valet key. Not a problem with me.

Thanks for this great article on how to re-do the ignition key, but at this point I'm happy to just use 2 keys - one for ignition, one for doors. Just like the old days.

I have my hands full of other details already - like getting my fuel lines in and the engine running.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

This is a great forum!

GN
[/quote]

Sounds like you just need to rekey the ignition switch. Here's a great article that tells how to remove the cylinder and do the rekey: http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php
[/quote]
bbrock
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ May 7 2019, 02:37 PM) *

Thanks for this great article on how to re-do the ignition key, but at this point I'm happy to just use 2 keys - one for ignition, one for doors. Just like the old days.

I'll be honest. I've never bought a 914 with matching locks so for 35 years I thought this was how it was supposed to be (red key for ignition and black for everything else)just because that's how it worked out. It wasn't until joining this forum a couple years ago that I learned about the magic valet properties of the red key. I have now re-keyed all my locks to match and just ordered a red/black set of genuine blanks just to be fancy. Spending $25 for a red valet blank was pretty dumb since I've only had a car valet parked once in my life, and that was just last summer. My keys are fancy, but I'm not. teef.gif

Glad you are all set with your keys and locks now. beerchug.gif
Gatornapper
Thanks Brent.

Once the car is running well, no main issues, and I confront a dozen other issues (paint, maybe a dozen small rust spots, hail damage on hood and trunk, etc., I may get a nice black ignition key with Porsche on it.....

GN

[/quote]

I'll be honest. I've never bought a 914 with matching locks so for 35 years I thought this was how it was supposed to be (red key for ignition and black for everything else)just because that's how it worked out. It wasn't until joining this forum a couple years ago that I learned about the magic valet properties of the red key. I have now re-keyed all my locks to match and just ordered a red/black set of genuine blanks just to be fancy. Spending $25 for a red valet blank was pretty dumb since I've only had a car valet parked in my life, and that was just last summer. My keys are fancy, but I'm not. teef.gif

Glad you are all set with your keys and locks now. beerchug.gif
[/quote]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.