Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 915 Transmission Bott Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bates
I have my 3.0 SC motor ready, and my 915 transmission ready. I called WEVO to order a 915 sideshift conversion, and that part is no longer available.

Has anyone actually seen or installed one of the Bott Fahrzeugtechnik 915 conversions?

Thanks

Click to view attachment
brant
I have not personally used one
but the general thing that you hear, is that the Bott conversion is very high quality and very very good.

also you will still need to have a qualified shop flip the ring and pinion gear over in the tranny before install
Mark Henry
There's a thread somewhere, a member swapped out a Velios kit for the Bott. They looked similar but he said the Bott was 100x better quality and implemented. He still ran into a small issue IIRC something with the speedo drive. Requires tranny disassembly

Try doing a search.
rgalla9146
My GT project currently has a 2.0 six and a side shifter.
A carburated 3.0 and a Bott 916 are waiting patiently to be installed.
I flipped the diff and installed the Bott kit myself.
I do have Porsche trans experience 901,911,914,915
I haven't driven the trans yet.
I did have a problem when installing a internal shaft support.
I had to lift the support off it's mounting surface to allow the side cover to sit flush
on the housing.
I had to set this part of my project aside to complete the chassis and test the 2.0
that is in the car now.
I do recommend the Bott kit.
The parts are well made and are a direct copy of the original 916.
We should stay in touch
Rory
Steve
Check the members vendor section.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=102988

Martin Bott has a thread there, with lots of feedback. I’m also running the Martin Bott Kit with my 3.2 and 1986 915 trans. I’m having some goofy shifting issues, but I think it’s related to the install not the product. For now I just live with it. It’s really nice having gears that match the motor. Total cruiser!
Luke M
Ron S is the member that installed the Martin Bott 915 kit.
He had a vellios kit but swapped it out for Martin's kit.

Here's a link : http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=214068&hl=
Dr Evil
I havent installed one yet, just did a Wevo. I like the Bott design better, and the rave reviews are compelling. As stated, you will need to flip the diff and some things may need machined. Flipping the diff is not just flipping, BTW. It needs to be measured and adjusted to get everything right.
mepstein
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 26 2019, 02:08 PM) *

I havent installed one yet, just did a Wevo. I like the Bott design better, and the rave reviews are compelling. As stated, you will need to flip the diff and some things may need machined. Flipping the diff is not just flipping, BTW. It needs to be measured and adjusted to get everything right.

I was told you need to set the lash but not the pinion depth if it’s a simple flip.
larryM
have the complete Bott kit on shelf, plus the required 911 console & rod - decided not to bother with it - FS if anyone interested - located Sac'to area
mepstein
QUOTE(larryM @ Apr 27 2019, 02:35 PM) *

have the complete Bott kit on shelf, plus the required 911 console & rod - decided not to bother with it - FS if anyone interested - located Sac'to area

Mechanical or electric speedo.
I might be interested for the right price.
@larryM
Luke M
QUOTE(larryM @ Apr 27 2019, 11:35 AM) *

For which 915 trans is the kit for?
I believe Bott makes a few different ones IIRC.
larryM
QUOTE(Luke M @ Apr 27 2019, 12:20 PM) *

the electronic speedometer version - i also have the electric speedo to go with

AND Kahlers rebuilt 915 on shelf - 915/61 #..7191399 '77-'79 911 SC - 8:31 ratio -

(not flipped yet - cuz it was intended for a track 911SC that i sold as unfinished roller) - 915 itself is likely worth more to a 911 guy than to any 914-conversion idea
mepstein
All my 915 trans are early mechanical speedos.
Bates
QUOTE(larryM @ Apr 27 2019, 05:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Apr 27 2019, 12:20 PM) *

the electronic speedometer version - i also have the electric speedo to go with

AND Kahlers rebuilt 915 on shelf - 915/61 #..7191399 '77-'79 911 SC - 8:31 ratio -

(not flipped yet - cuz it was intended for a track 911SC that i sold as unfinished roller) - 915 itself is likely worth more to a 911 guy than to any 914-conversion idea

I am interested in buying your Kit.

Is your 'kit' for an aluminum case or mag case transmission?
I do not understand what the difference in the AL vs Mag kits are, but there is a difference.
I have a transmission just a bit earlier than your 915/61, with Magnesium case. It has electronic speedo ring.
Maybe interested in your speedometer also.

Bates
[quote name='Ecke Liebhaber' date='Apr 24 2019, 05:36 PM' post='2708366']
I have my 3.0 SC motor ready, and my 915 transmission ready. I called WEVO to order a 915 sideshift conversion, and that part is no longer available.

Has anyone actually seen or installed one of the Bott Fahrzeugtechnik 915 conversions?

Thanks

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Ecke Liebhaber @ Apr 24 2019, 02:36 PM) *
I called WEVO to order a 915 sideshift conversion, and that part is no longer available.

That's why my 915 is getting a cable shift setup. No more soup stirring shift rod to deal with ...
stirthepot.gif
914 Ranch
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 5 2019, 07:34 PM) *

I called WEVO to order a 915 sideshift conversion, and that part is no longer available.

That's why my 915 is getting a cable shift setup. No more soup stirring shift rod to deal with ...
stirthepot.gif

Now that you've got my attention, if I want more power I'm going to need more tranny. I have had 2 cable shifters in sandrails and they are good.
Bates
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 5 2019, 07:34 PM) *

stirthepot.gif

Best design of cables I have ever used.
Internal anti friction 'splined' cable cover.
Amazing how little 'splop', or dead movement.these cables have none.

https://www.boatid.com/seastar-solutions/se...1516844880.html

available in 1 foot increments
Bates
I wish this would adapt to a 915.
Subaru adapters are getting very nice;

http://zerodecibelmotorsports.com/products...er-adapter-kit/

mepstein
QUOTE(Ecke Liebhaber @ May 6 2019, 07:08 AM) *

There is more call for mid engined suby conversions than mid engined 915 conversions. The parts are so much less expensive.
I have the http://www.cableshift.com kit I'm going to give it a try and maybe switch to whatever McMark comes up with for SirAndy.
Steve
QUOTE(Ecke Liebhaber @ May 6 2019, 04:08 AM) *

I have $10k in my 915/916 trans.
$1k for core 915
$2.8K? for Martin Bott kit after EURO to USD exchange
$1.5K for limited slip.
The rest to rebuild it, 930 drive shafts, CV's, clutch, shifter, shiftrod, adapters, etc....

If your doing an LS or Subi conversion, I would not waste a dime on a 915.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 26 2019, 02:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 26 2019, 02:08 PM) *

I was told you need to set the lash but not the pinion depth if it’s a simple flip.

Correct. If not disturbed (same shim going in) then the pinion is fine. Back lash setting is a pain in the ass. Just time consuming, but you can make tools if you have the measurements.
jhowar
QUOTE(larryM @ Apr 27 2019, 12:35 PM) *

Is your Bott kit still for sale? Price?
Luke M
QUOTE(jhowar @ Apr 14 2021, 09:01 AM) *

I purchased the Bott kit from Larry early last year and had PMS install it in a 84 915 trans.
Going to use it in my 6 once I get it back together.
Steve
I love mine!! Let me know if you have any questions!! Nothing like gearing that matches the motor.
jhowar
QUOTE(Luke M @ Apr 14 2021, 11:02 AM) *

I purchased the Bott kit from Larry early last year and had PMS install it in a 84 915 trans.

Thanks for telling me, great photos!
jhowar
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 14 2021, 12:10 PM) *

I love mine!! Let me know if you have any questions!! Nothing like gearing that matches the motor.

Steve, I ordered the Bott conversion for my 915/63. Are you using the OEM shifter? Which linkage from Patrick are you using?
jhowar

Luke, I ordered the Bott conversion for my 915/63. What shifter and linkage will you be using?
Steve
QUOTE(jhowar @ May 6 2021, 06:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 14 2021, 12:10 PM) *

Steve, I ordered the Bott conversion for my 915/63. Are you using the OEM shifter? Which linkage from Patrick are you using?

I'm using the 911 shifter from Rennshift. JWest sold me the parts to convert my 914 side shifter Rennshift to a 911 Rennshift. It works great!! To shift from 2nd to 3rd, you just push up on the shifter and since the rennshift is spring loaded to the center, it automatically puts you into 3rd like butter.
I am using the PMS shift rod. My car already had the PMS firewall bearing. So, depending on what you are using for a firewall bearing, it might be different. I would call up PMS for recommendations and to make sure you get the right parts.
Otherwise, i think this is the correct part number.
https://patrickmotorsports.com/products/tra...2aedd&_ss=r
Luke M
QUOTE(jhowar @ May 6 2021, 07:00 AM) *

Luke, I ordered the Bott conversion for my 915/63. What shifter and linkage will you be using?

I'll be using a rennshifter (early style) with all of the PMS rod linkage/firewall bushing from shifter to trans. It's not cheap but it all works together.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.