Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Used Compu-Fire or Used Pertronix?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcd914
I have 3 used pointless ignition modules that came with one of my parts cars or project.
First 2 are Compu-Fire units, one loose in a box of other stuff and one in the distributor on an engine.
3rd is a Pertronix unit that was loose in a box of other stuff.

I don't actually know if any of them work but the engine that one of them is in was supposedly running on mega-squire before it was pulled from the car.
I am looking to put one of these into my 2.0l D-jet engine which is running solid core copper plug wires.

I have no recent experience with pointless ignition in a 914 but there are no points in my engine now and I need something and I have these.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Jim

worn
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 24 2019, 03:02 PM) *

I have 3 used pointless ignition modules that came with one of my parts cars or project.
First 2 are Compu-Fire units, one loose in a box of other stuff and one in the distributor on an engine.
3rd is a Pertronix unit that was loose in a box of other stuff.

I don't actually know if any of them work but the engine that one of them is in was supposedly running on mega-squire before it was pulled from the car.
I am looking to put one of these into my 2.0l D-jet engine which is running solid core copper plug wires.

I have no recent experience with pointless ignition in a 914 but there are no points in my engine now and I need something and I have these.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Jim

I suppose it will come down to personal preference along with how many of the three actually work. I have a pertronix unit in my TR6 and trust it, but that is a considerably cooler environment hanging on the side of a water cooled block than sitting on top of air and oil cooled 914. I think that I killed one by reverse polarity, so watch out for that.
IronHillRestorations
I'm not a fan of Pertronix, I wish I had better luck with them. I think the idea is great, but I recently lost money putting a whole new Pnix ignition system in a customer's 914 and the ignitor went bad in less than 500 miles
jonferns
Still running the same Pertronix unit that was installed in the late 90’s, without issue. Not sure if the newer units are any less reliable.
rfinegan
Compufire is big on air cooled Harleys

I have on one my 1.8 75 914 and no problems
Bleyseng
I am putting in a new pertronix today as I had a old guy moment and wired the old one backwards killing it. mad.gif
Johny Blackstain
I use the Pertronix in my LE however I replaced the coil, also with Pertronix, to match the module voltage-wise. Been fine for 12 years now. cool_shades.gif
Spoke
I've used Pertronix in 2 different 914's without issue.
krazykonrad
Are Compu-fire and Pertronix compatible with the D-Jet contacts on the distributor?
Spoke
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Apr 25 2019, 10:41 AM) *

Are Compu-fire and Pertronix compatible with the D-Jet contacts on the distributor?

The D-Jet contacts on the distributor are independent of the points/Pertronix. As a matter of fact, the entire D-Jet system is independent of the points.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Apr 25 2019, 10:41 AM) *

Pertronix is, LE is D-jet
dr914@autoatlanta.com
comp u fire seems to handle the heat better on the air cooled engines than pertronix, but is a bit harder to fit
Mark Henry
I have a compufire on a 009. I tried on my T1 in my '67 bus, couldn't get rid of a miss.
Ended up yanking it and now use a mallory with a pertronix.

I don't know if it was a 009 or compufire issue, I still have it kicking around, but haven't looked at it in 15 years.
914werke
BTW Compufire owns the Pertronix brand ...or vica versa
jcd914
Thanks for all the information all.

I actually chose not to use either right now and put a set of points back in it.

The engine has not been run for several years.
@ConeDodger Rob, how long ago did you give me the engine back?
I just rewired a lot of the car, re-plumbed the fuel system and installed the engine.
I figured that having one less unknown electronic unit in the mix would be smart.
If it does not start I won't be wondering if it is a bad ignition module.

After I address any FI or wiring issues and get it running I can swap in one of the units.

Thanks
Jim
ConeDodger
Jim I think three years or more? I left it at Original Customs for you to pick up...
jcd914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 26 2019, 03:08 PM) *

Jim I think three years or more? I left it at Original Customs for you to pick up...

I remember picking it up at an event there but don't remember when or what the event was.
It might run this weekend!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.