Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT where to live
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
lapuwali
One also has to be careful with political perspectives. "Centrist" means very different things in California v. Alabama v. Massachusetts v. Missouri. From my experience, even SoCal Republicans would be considered limp-wristed lefties in many places in the Midwest, and everyone in NoCal is an outright Commie...Most of the school administrators in Kansas who are trying to ban evolution and push creationism don't consider themselves to be members of the radical right, and opinion that's not shared with anyone I know from New England.
Howard
But seriously, folks.
My business was bought out by a competitor 15 years ago. We jumped for joy, took the money and ran. Went all over the place looking for a better place to live. There are so many great ones, in no particular order..

Vancouver, BC
Coastal Maine
Lyme/Mystic Seaport
Hobe Sound
Italian Riviera

Guess you can tell I like the water. We visited, coveted all, and ending up staying here. Friends and family are the biggest deal and the weather sure is nice on the central coast.
Verruckt
Any suburb of Kansas City is pretty nice. Housing is but a fraction of the equivalent house in Ca. Politics is pretty evenly split. Weather, you get it all, but not too extreme in either direction. Airport no matter where you are is at most an hour away. Definitely a "car lovers" place to live. Lot's of hi-po shops, P-car stuff too. Major racetrack (new home of the Runoffs smilie_pokal.gif ) is just an hour west. Nascar track on the west side of the city too. Plenty of outdoors activities are within an easy drive. And it's in the center of everything.

Head to a library and check for a book called "places rated". They may even have a website somewhere.
Bleyseng
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Jun 24 2005, 12:45 PM)
Scottsdale(or the Phoenix metro area)

No snow
No hurricanes
No tropical storms
No tornados
No ice or sleet
No earthquakes
No rust
2 1/2 months of hot weather
9 1/2 months of perfect weather
Quality of life is awesome.

Short flight to the the CA coast(or a 5 1/2 hour drive)
4 hour drive to Rocky Point
2 hour drive to ski slopes

Did I mention that I know a good Realtor should you decide to move here? biggrin.gif

Yeah, my son Blair called from Tempe the other day to brag that it was 116 degrees.

There is no way I would move to Phoenix,Tempe,Scottsdale area as its one big effin strip mall. Endless malls along Indian Road or whatever thats called.

Washington is cheap if you don't live in Seattle.
jimtab
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jun 24 2005, 10:26 AM)
QUOTE (Jeffs9146 @ Jun 24 2005, 12:14 PM)

11 seconds from the water = Priceless!!

Ocean = Saltwater.
Saltwater + Ungalvanized Steel = Rust
Rust + 914 = No 914.

That's only if you dip the car in the saltwater or leave it out, uncovered in a bad wind storm...we get salt on the deck in a big one but in the garage....no problem. AND, nothing between me and Japan but air.....I love it.
jimtab
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Jun 24 2005, 11:55 AM)
Las Vegas must have some appeal since it has been the fastest growing city in the entire country for something like each of the past 15 years in a row. True, we have no state income tax. The housing cost had been low, until everything doubled in the past 2 years. Car insurance rates are some of the highest in the nation. (what do you expect with 24 hour bars and 100K tourist in rental cars) Traffic sucks. (but still not as bad as L.A.)

After dark in the summer used to be my favorite. Now with higher humidity caused by all the people, swimming pools, golf courses, etc, etc, It can still be 100 degrees at midnight. I liked this place a lot better when it had 200K residents. Now we have that many hotel rooms.

Sorry, but I think Las Vegas is the asshole of creation, it was bad enough when they sprayed road oil on my NEW 1974 white 914(in 74) and then refused to do anything about it because...."you have to have the licence number" hard to see thru an oily windshield...detail guys got it all off only one stain on the rear quarter but I've never been back...never will...fuck em.
JB 914
Buy a Giant RV and travel the country. once you find a place you like put it on blocks or sell it and buy a house. laugh.gif
jimtab
OK, after much thought, the best place to live is where you're happiest....all the rest is crap. aktion035.gif
Dead Air
[QUOTE=ClayPerrine,Jun 24 2005, 10:12 AM]You could move to Texas.

Gen. Sherman said: "If I owned both hell and Texas, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell"

That's what he said, I'm just tellin' ya.
Dead Air
get it? no politics on 914 club! bootyshake.gif
Verruckt
What's so bad about being called a liberal? Is it a 4 letter word or something? confused24.gif

Lighten up mueba.gif Drink beer beer3.gif take a break pissoff.gif
SirAndy
damm, i'm gone for a few hours and this thread has turned into a middle finger frenzy ... screwy.gif

now everybody, relax, take a deep breath, go for a walk, drink some booze, get laid, drive your 914, whatever it takes to calm you down ...

there is a reason why we have "the one" rule here on this site:

no more politics!

this thread is closed ...
dry.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.