Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT where to live
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Porcharu
My job will soon be a "work from home deal" and I should be able to live anywhere that I can get broadband and within a few hours of an airport. Any suggestions on a place that is both car and family friendly?
redshift
Under a bridge, but not mine.

smile.gif

M
URY914
Pick a state with no income tax and where you can legally claim a goat as a deduction.

Paul
ClayPerrine
You could move to Texas.

Lots of friendly people, lots of 914s, and the cost of living is WAY lower than it is in the Peoples Republic of California.

The house next door to me is for sale. If you moved there, we would have 3 houses side by side with 914 owners living there. clap.gif

Oh, and I have a lift.... biggrin.gif
william harris
Fairhope, Alabama. Great town, no crime, low taxes, good weather, right on Mobile Bay and 30 minutes from the white sand beaches of Gulf Shores. God, wish I was still there. wink.gif
Jeffs9146
Discovery Bay

1 hour 15 min from Sacramento Airport
1 hour 20 min from Oakland Airport
1 hour 30 min from San Jose Airport
2 hours from San Francisco Ariport

11 seconds from the water = Priceless!!

I moved out here last year and as long as you have income with no commute it is a blast in the summer. In the winter you are 1 hour closer to the mountains!

My $.02

Jeff

PS: here is a photo from my deck!
goose2
does Wyoming have income tax?
TravisNeff
No Income tax in washington state
tat2dphreak
Clay beat me to it... no place like TX, and no state income tax!
lapuwali
An impossible question. What works for you may not work for me or anyone else. The only real thing you can do is travel and decide for yourself.

I lived all over the country while I was growing up (military brat), and day to day the single biggest difference I saw was climate, so if you're really used to NoCal weather, you may just try to move to somewhere else in NoCal. Local politics and attitudes can make a difference over the long haul, though you can usually find enclaves of NoCal liberalism even in the Deep South. You can also find radical right-wingers in New England. College towns tend to be more politically liberal no matter where they are.

If by "car friendly" you mean something less restrictive than CA, don't count on loose attitudes in other places lasting forever. Laws change. CA used to be much more restrictive than it used to be fairly recently (you had to get a 1970 914 smogged as recently as 1997).

Family friendly is also a relative term. If you're primarily thinking of being able to afford more space for a family than you can in Campbell, then you can simply move to Sacramento, or into the Sierras, where you can still get housing for 1/3rd of Bay Area prices. Little towns like Winters are an option, too (easy drive to Sac airport). If your idea of family friendly is more political, that's something you'll have to research and decide yourself. The Midwest is vastly cheaper than either coast, with housing and land typically running only 15-20% of CA prices. The weather takes some getting used to, with hot, muggy summers and bitterly cold winters. You can use something like realtor.com to investigate housing prices, and weather.com to look at historical climate averages.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Jeffs9146 @ Jun 24 2005, 12:14 PM)

11 seconds from the water = Priceless!!

Ocean = Saltwater.
Saltwater + Ungalvanized Steel = Rust
Rust + 914 = No 914.

Jeffs9146
Ocean = Saltwater.
Saltwater + Ungalvanized Steel = Rust
Rust + 914 = No 914.

It's fresh water!!

Nice and dry with no salt in the air!

Perfect for the teen!!

Jeff
URY914
I love ya like a true 914 brother, but do NOT move to Florida. biggrin.gif

Paul
redshift
lmao... guy in purple shirt...

I know him..

M
rhodyguy
western washington. but i'm partial.

pretty nice bunch of 914 owners.
not too hot, not too cold. just right. in western wa the only a/c you need is open windows.
low electricity rates.
as noted, no personal income taxes.
no reciprocity with regards to personal incomes taxes. unlike the arrangement california and oregon have.
sales tax only on durable items. not on food.
mountains. 1 hour give or take.
puget sound. 15 minutes give or take.
pacific ocean. 1 1/2 hour give or take.
an active volcano.
resonable housing prices outside of seattle.
compared to california, reasonable housing prices inside seattle.
temperate rainforest to high desert in 3 1/2 hours.

if you've never seen the state you should pay a visit.

k
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (redshift @ Jun 24 2005, 01:37 PM)

I know him..

M

focus on what's important... who's the babe in the pink skirt!

to self:
*please god, don't let it be someone's wife. please god, don't let it be someone's wife. please god, don't let it be someone's wife. please god, don't let it be someone's wife. *
redshift
I couldn't feel safe in a county with that guy around..

M
914werke
Dont listen to to Kevin ....Move to Texas lol2.gif
Jeffs9146
who's the babe in the pink skirt!

please god, don't let it be someone's wife.

All the women in the photo are single and looking!!!!!

I know him..

Do you really know him?

Jeff
Lou W
Southern Oregon, something with a little land, separate work shop with lifts. No sales tax, Calif sucks smile.gif
scruz914
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jun 24 2005, 11:39 AM)

I know him..

M

to self:
*please god, don't let it be someone's wife. please god, don't let it be someone's wife. please god, don't let it be someone's wife. please god, don't let it be someone's wife. *

Isn't the guy in the purple shirt Uncle Fester?

And Wayne, Shouldn't you be saying "Oh God don't let her be someone's daughter"? laugh.gif
tat2dphreak
you forgot the monsoon season Kev wink.gif

whatever you like TX probably has it... as long as you like hot summers... those are un-escapable here....

like deserts?: West TX
like liberal city? Austin
like snow? amarillo
like high humidity, bad traffic and mosquitos the size of hummingbirds?: Houston.
like mexico? any number of places, laredo, Eagle Pass...
like a little of it all? Big D, Baby!
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (scruz914 @ Jun 24 2005, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jun 24 2005, 11:39 AM)

I know him..

M

to self:

Isn't the guy in the purple shirt Uncle Fester?

And Wayne, Shouldn't you be saying "Oh God don't let her be someone's daughter"? laugh.gif

damn, I didn't it even THINK of that...

*please god, don't let it be someone's daughter. please god, don't let it be someone's daughter. please god, don't let it be someone's daughter. please god, don't let it be someone's daughter. *

and
*let her be 18+. let her be 18+. let her be 18+. let her be 18+. let her be 18+. let her be 18+. let her be 18+.*
flesburg
There are two places I would like to live.

1. Lexington, OH. 2 hours n. of Columbus. 10 minutes from MidOhio
2. Plymouth, WI. 2 hours n of Milwaukee, 10 minutes from Road America.

Great little midwestern towns, good place to raise kids.

Do 10 or 15 DE events per year!
Attend 2 or 3 or more major sports car races per year.

Both states are full of "gearheads"
rhodyguy
you'd be suprised how many places get more rain than wa. socal is still ahead of us this year biggrin.gif . i'll trade a little rain and pretty clean air for the lack of TORNADOS, HURRICANES, heat indexes of 118*anytime. wink.gif

k
Jeffs9146
And Wayne, Shouldn't you be saying "Oh God don't let her be someone's daughter"?

She's 38! And of course she is someones daughter!!

Scruz914: Her parents live in Aptos, not to far from you!

Jeff
larryp
Try this: Dream Towns
balljoint
Move to Canada. We have the two largest undefended borders in the world.

One with the United States.

The other with the former communist USSR.

unsure.gif
dflesburg
Dont move to Ohio - It sucks here.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (balljoint @ Jun 24 2005, 01:04 PM)
Move to Canada. We have the two largest undefended borders in the world.

One with the United States.

The other with the former communist USSR.

unsure.gif

And even the SOUTHERN Border gets bucketfuls of snow every year.

The reason the southern border of CA is undefended is that you have some really nice neighbors.

The reason the northern border is undefended is that it is too frickin' cold to go there......
balljoint
Actually much of the arctic tundra is essentially a desert. Too cold for moisture to get into the air, not enough moisture to form rain or snow. Since the definition of a desert is based on annual precipitation, the arctic is a desert.

And Buffalo gets its ass kicked by snow way more than we do.

And, yes, we have some pretty damn nice neighbours to the south.

biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
Yea, but it's still FRIGGIN' COLD!!!! biggrin.gif

We have had years where it was 70 degrees on Christmas day here.

BTW.. did I mention that I absolutely HATE being cold!!!!!

I would come visit Canada, as long as it's in summertime!!!!
airsix
The important questions to me would be:

• How much space do you need? (city boy or country boy?)
  • What type of climate are you seeking?
  • What are your political ideals? (Seriously. This is a big factor)
  • What type or recreational activities are important to you?
  • What size house and how much are you willing to pay?

Comments about a few prior recommendations:
Western Washington? barf.gif Too damp, too liberal, too crowded, too many traffic problems, nation's highest income/housing-cost disparity (yes, higher than SillyconValley). Great cold-water scubadiving though. Noplace else in the world to dive with a 250lb ocotopus. ohmy.gif

Now South-Eastern Washington on the other hand: Open spaces, predominantly conservative, no traffic, 8 inches of annual precipitation, nice and warm (average January temp 40F, average July temp 90F). International airport, skiing/snomobiling 2hours away, steelhead/salmon/sturgeon fishing 1minute away (Columbia River), reasonable housing costs, strong local economy, and Top-down teener driving 9 months per year. Only downside for me is scenery is bland.

Lots of places in Idaho I'd like to live if making money weren't a priority. I could live in Texas. No question about it.

-Ben M.
Porcharu
Wow, I knew that I would get some input but not 2 pages already.
I should have been more specific.
Car friendly = no smog check or at least a reasonable smog program.
Family friendly = reasonable cost of living and politically middle or right of center.
No income tax is a major plus. I like rain (+Oregon/Washington), hate humidity and I think I could get used to hot summers as long as I had AC.
Thanks for the great input.
balljoint
34 Celsius and sunny here today and at least that for the next week or so. That's 94 Fahrenheit.
cool.gif

Of course 5 months ago that number would have had a negative sign in front of it. Yeah it's cold in winter, but weeee like it.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (balljoint @ Jun 24 2005, 01:31 PM)
34 Celsius and sunny here today and at least that for the next week or so. That's 94 Fahrenheit.
cool.gif

Of course 5 months ago that number would have had a negative sign in front of it. Yeah it's cold in winter, but weeee like it.

About the same here.. high of 97 today.

But then again, we don't get the minus sign in front of that number ever.

BMartin914
Anywhere but Colorado. cool_shades.gif
Elliot_Cannon
DO NOT COME TO CALIFORNIA. The place sucks. No one likes it here. Stay away. Do not even think of moving here. Everything you have ever heard of this place is true.
rjkavanagh
I have a friend who moved last year to Madison Wi. He's planning a trip to Banff in February so he can be in warmer weather. biggrin.gif
Porcharu
I am a California native, lived in northern, central and southern California all my life (parents also.) I have watched the place turn from paridise to shit.
I think it's time to move, my best friend is in the process of moving to Mobile Al. He just just got a ticket in Texas for driving 85 mph (California plates on the truck- cop admitted thats we he got pulled over)
MoveQik
Scottsdale(or the Phoenix metro area)

No snow
No hurricanes
No tropical storms
No tornados
No ice or sleet
No earthquakes
No rust
2 1/2 months of hot weather
9 1/2 months of perfect weather
Quality of life is awesome.

Short flight to the the CA coast(or a 5 1/2 hour drive)
4 hour drive to Rocky Point
2 hour drive to ski slopes

Did I mention that I know a good Realtor should you decide to move here? biggrin.gif

ClayPerrine
QUOTE (srbliss @ Jun 24 2005, 01:44 PM)
I am a California native, lived in northern, central and southern California all my life (parents also.) I have watched the place turn from paridise to shit.
I think it's time to move, my best friend is in the process of moving to Mobile Al. He just just got a ticket in Texas for driving 85 mph (California plates on the truck- cop admitted thats we he got pulled over)

Don't take that for a condemnation of all of Texas. It was probably a small town cop. They are the same everywhere.

Elliot_Cannon
Mobile is a great town. I got some friends there. When you leave, take as many with you as possible. biggrin.gif
cheers, Elliot
VegasRacer
Las Vegas must have some appeal since it has been the fastest growing city in the entire country for something like each of the past 15 years in a row. True, we have no state income tax. The housing cost had been low, until everything doubled in the past 2 years. Car insurance rates are some of the highest in the nation. (what do you expect with 24 hour bars and 100K tourist in rental cars) Traffic sucks. (but still not as bad as L.A.)

After dark in the summer used to be my favorite. Now with higher humidity caused by all the people, swimming pools, golf courses, etc, etc, It can still be 100 degrees at midnight. I liked this place a lot better when it had 200K residents. Now we have that many hotel rooms.
rhodyguy
no smog for your 76 914 w00t.gif , do what you want to it. eastern wa is nice in the spring. freakin hot, in summer. i don't give a shit about political stances. i have no problem ignoring people that don't agree with ME!!! wink.gif jk

k
Root_Werks
Don't move to WA regardless of what flower man is telling you. happy11.gif Too many people are moving here already.

It rains a lot, we have high taxes, ummmmmm, there are pine cones EVERYWHERE! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif It just sucks man, don't move here. I hear Kalduhfornia is full of really nice people. unsure.gif
Porcharu
Don't take that for a condemnation of all of Texas. It was probably a small town cop. They are the same everywhere.

I'm not condeming Texas - in California he would have been thrown in jail.
Porcharu
i don't give a shit about political stances. i have no problem ignoring people that don't agree with ME!!! wink.gif jk

I don't either - but here in the peoples republic you get it rammed down your throat every day. This is the land of "freedom of speech as long as you agree with my hardcore views" finger.gif

I've been to south eastern Washington - I liked it. And you can drive across the river to buy stuff tax free in Oregon. boldblue.gif
airsix
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jun 24 2005, 12:17 PM)
Don't move to WA regardless of what flower man is telling you. happy11.gif Too many people are moving here already.

It rains a lot, we have high taxes, ummmmmm, there are pine cones EVERYWHERE! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif It just sucks man, don't move here. I hear Kalduhfornia is full of really nice people. unsure.gif

Dan, have you been on the East side? It's just the opposite. Hot, dry, conservative, and there's ROOM to roam. We shoot guns, race 3,000hp hydroplanes, waterski/jetski after work (dock is less than a mile from my office), hunt, fish, etc. Girls wear um... 'summer clothes' from April through October. It's all good. cool.gif

-Ben M.

ps - you would have less trouble with your "habit" over here. Lots of back roads for fun driving. I know someone who just the other day did a little sprint to 147mph without even seeing or being seen by another vehicle. Of course I'm not at liberty to disclose the person's identity.
ArtechnikA
Douglas County, NV.

no state income tax.
cars don't get smogged.
no salt on the roads.
good snow skiing.
good water skiing.
nearby racetrack.

i'd move back if i could make a living there...

but you either like the desert, or you don't...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.