Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 Oil Tank Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tailwind22
I have an original 914-6 oil tank that needs a good internal clean and flush and has had some rough silver solder patch work done. Can anyone recommend a good source to restore the tank to acceptable condition? I can then weigh the cost of restoration versus the cost of one of the after market varieties.
toolguy
I had mine hot tanked at a radiator shop. . bet they could fix it also
jmalone
QUOTE(tailwind22 @ Apr 27 2019, 08:57 AM) *

I have an original 914-6 oil tank that needs a good internal clean and flush and has had some rough silver solder patch work done. Can anyone recommend a good source to restore the tank to acceptable condition? I can then weigh the cost of restoration versus the cost of one of the after market varieties.

These were originally copper plated to prevent corrosion. I have a 911 tank that is rusted because of the failure of the copper coating.

I haven't attempted to repair it. I wonder if a chrome plating shop could re-copper the tank. Has anyone attempted this?

tailwind22
QUOTE(toolguy @ Apr 27 2019, 10:35 AM) *

I had mine hot tanked at a radiator shop. . bet they could fix it also

I don't have a good radiator shop in town that I would trust. I do believe that a radiator shop that has done collector restorations would be a good bet. I was looking for a reference to send the tank out to.
mepstein
I used aircraft stripper on the outside then lightly bead basted the corroded parts while leaving as much of the copper as possible. Then I ultrasonically cleaned it and applied semi gloss powder coat.
The real tanks are better made than the reproductions so i would make every effort to restore the original.

Pacific coast oil cooler can do the repairs for you or just a good local shop. It's nothing that special.
tailwind22
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 27 2019, 12:28 PM) *

I used aircraft stripper on the outside then lightly bead basted the corroded parts while leaving as much of the copper as possible. Then I ultrasonically cleaned it and applied semi gloss powder coat.
The real tanks are better made than the reproductions so i would make every effort to restore the original.

Pacific coast oil cooler can do the repairs for you or just a good local shop. It's nothing that special.

Thanks Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.