Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hemmings 914 (not mine)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
HaraPuzo
expensive but nice build. 150K
not my car. saw on Hemmings and wanted to share.
for those who are looking for a 914 hot rod .... and have deep pockets smile.gif

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer...14/2253014.html
jdamiano
I saw this car at the Werks in Amelia Island. Awesome car.
Bruce Hinds
Awesome build. I'll be surprised if it meets the asking price for a hot rod.
Freezin 914
For that number I would at the very least expect center caps for the wheels! Ha!
Tom_T
I think it's very misleading - if not fraud - to list it as a 914-6, when it started life a /4 & lacks the 914... VIN that justifies such stratospheric prices! dry.gif

Without a 914-6 chassis, it's really hard to reach that pricing - regardless of cost to do the build, & not unlike overdoing a resto on the more humble /4s - you'll be underwater, as are these guys who built it!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
I don't think it's the least bit fraudulent.
They list the vin
They never say it's an original six.
It's pretty common to call a six conversion a 914-6.
They can price it at any price they want.
Our shop takes ragged out 911's. T, mid year,SC, Carrera's costing $10-20K and turns them into $150-200K project cars. We have about 60 in the que so there's certainly no lack of buyers willing to pay for modified cars. Just the engine on that car is around $50K.
There's some things I really like and some details I don't but it certainly is the sellers prerogative to set the price to where they want it. No justification needed.
sithot
Can always lower the price but it's hard to raise it once advertised. agree.gif
mepstein
It wasn’t very long ago that people would laugh at a 912 selling for $90K.
gereed75
As previously posted, this car was quite the hit at Werks Reunion. It is extremely well done.

Is that a 901 tail shift tranny?
mountainroads
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 29 2019, 07:38 PM) *

They list the vin
Our shop takes ragged out 911's. T, mid year,SC, Carrera's costing $10-20K and turns them into $150-200K project cars. We have about 60 in the que so there's certainly no lack of buyers willing to pay for modified cars. Just the engine on that car is around $50K.
There's some things I really like and some details I don't but it certainly is the sellers prerogative to set the price to where they want it. No justification needed.

Fraudulent? No. Although technically correct that it's a "914-6", they don't state upfront that it's a conversion, so deliberately vague if not misleading. There are two choices when creating ads like this: 1) Be transparent from the jump and people will instinctively conclude some level of trustworthiness. 2) Make people read further or dig for pertinent details, and people will conclude "Oh yeah. Car Sales."

No argument that it's a very nice build and maybe it's just me, but shouldn't a "2.9 RSR" be MFI? They put a lot of time, money, and nice bits into this engine. Serious question: Is there a good reason not to go the last mile with MFI? (Other than saving time and/or $$.)

Again beautiful build and best of luck to seller.

- MR
mb911
Besides a tail shifter they completly butchered my headers to "make them fit" when all they had to do was work with the shift linkage. So 12 welds and material vs 1 or 2 welds and almost no material.. Hmm that's just a start
Rufus
This certainly appears to be an amazing build!

The comparison between the subject 1972 conversion and Coastal6’s 1970 914-6 (a “real” -6 but NOM w/ 3.6l & 915) is interesting. The NOM “real” 914-6 sold a month ago, against an ask of $75k.

Does the tradeoff of a fresh 914/4 conversion build w/ 2.9l vs the “real” -6 chassis and 3.6l / 915 justify 2x the value?? It’d be fascinating to know what this 1972 conversion sells for ...
sithot
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 2 2019, 04:16 PM) *

Besides a tail shifter they completly butchered my headers to "make them fit" when all they had to do was work with the shift linkage. So 12 welds and material vs 1 or 2 welds and almost no material.. Hmm that's just a start

Heathens.
Bobby Smith
It's certainly an impressive build AND price. 2 things that just jump out and make me scratch my head:
1. No sway bars
2. Tail shifter
With all the time and $$$ spent, how hard would it be to add these items?
mepstein
QUOTE(Bobby Smith @ May 2 2019, 07:23 PM) *

It's certainly an impressive build AND price. 2 things that just jump out and make me scratch my head:
1. No sway bars
2. Tail shifter
With all the time and $$$ spent, how hard would it be to add these items?

That’s some of the negatives. And they screwed up Ben’s headers. Maybe they ran out of time. The overall look is great. It’s a shame they couldn’t pull off the whole package.

The guys at our shop know a ton about 911’s but sometimes they are clueless about simple things on the 914-6 builds. They were going to use an old quick 6 mount on a nice build until I told them weren’t allowed.
sithot
It’s a fact that the tea strainer filters on the Weber’s, while cool looking, absolutely screw up flow. Better suited for a poseur RWB build.
rhodyguy
RWB? Most of the time I can solve abbreviations.
sithot
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 3 2019, 11:42 AM) *

RWB? Most of the time I can solve abbreviations.

http://rauhwelt-usa.com

Sawzall butchers.
JOEPROPER
For that price, this car needs to be flawless. flag.gif
BuddyV
What are the fog light covers? Custom ?

Odd..... since the stock covers are so timeless (IMHO). Seems like a weird thing to customize when there are arguably so many other details to modernize if you had the skills.

But I am a fan of GOLD cars.... so drunk.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 29 2019, 09:38 PM) *

They list the vin

^^^^^
Well said.
Montreal914
Since this add is not directly placed here, then the rules do not apply and therefore I will comment:

I tend to disagree. biggrin.gif

Only real 914-6 should be advertised as 914-6. This is a 914/4 with a 6 cylinder engine installed in it. Nice conversion, absolutely, drooley.gif but not a real 6.

That being said, someone ready to spend 150k$ on any 914 should do his do diligence and will quickly realize it's a conversion. I would also tend to think that the seller will not try to hide that fact but he is certainly not showing it up front.

GLWTS! Seems pretty steep price but if this is where we are at, great!

...Could have had sway bars though... rolleyes.gif
raynekat
The interior looks unfinished to me. I'd rather have some carpeting and backpad in there. Too much gold paint for my eye. The stitching on the seats is very nice. Many things very nice. And if you want something just like this...it's gonna cost you a bundle to have someone build it for you. In the neighborhood of $150k no matter what kind of chassis you start with.

And yeah....I'd love to see it with MFI. Carbs are just much easier to source and install in a 914.
sithot
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 5 2019, 11:48 PM) *

And yeah....I'd love to see it with MFI. Carbs are just much easier to source and install in a 914.

And a lot easier to adjust. The one thing I’ve always disliked about a 914 is the engine bay. It’s a bad back/lumbar assassin. A six, imho, is better but not by much. I’d hate CMA an MFI setup “in the car”.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.