Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Renegade Hybrids Axle Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
betz
I've been doing some research on 5 lug conversions and CV joint upgrades. My car will be aiming for around 165-180hp all said and done but not crazy torque (120-130 ft*lbs). I found this renegade hybrids high performance axle upgrade on pelican parts:

Link

Does anyone know about this kit? My guess in lack of popularity would be the higher price tag and the fact that it doesn't do a 5 lug conversion in one go, but looking at the price of 911 hubs, output flanges, and stub axles... the other two major options for upgrading the CV's are looking to be more expensive (911 w/ floating axle or 944 CV's). But maybe I'm missing something. 911 stuff seems really super hard to find and when I do find it the prices look like OEM porsche prices for a 40 yo rusty piece of junk.
mepstein
I just do a wtb on pelican.
betz
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 7 2019, 04:30 PM) *

Do you really think all said and done I could be in it for less than $700? I mean with the 944 setup.

Also is it even worth it for 165 hp 120 ft*lbs? Would 914 CV's do me ok?
mepstein
QUOTE(betz @ May 7 2019, 07:52 PM) *

Do you really think all said and done I could be in it for less than $700? I mean with the 944 setup.

If you have a four, I would stick with a four setup unless you are the kind of driver that breaks things. No judgements, some people drive hard and want a car that can take it. Sometimes it better to break a cv than trash a trans. The sway away conversion axles are $300-350. I doubt there any way to do it for less than a grand when everything is added up. I did the early 911 setup on mine but the engine dynoed at 240hp. 3.2 with cams, chip, exhaust, etc.
worn
QUOTE(betz @ May 7 2019, 03:52 PM) *

I expect so. I use a 944 cv for my 3.2. I love the 3.2, but I don’t expect to be breaking the stock axle, nor the 914 cv coming out of the 901 gear box. The 5 lug conversion was so I could run 911S calipers up front so as to scrub off speed.
So it depends on how you plan to use the car. I have driven a stock 4 across country, and the 3.2 was so much easier over the same distance.
Mblizzard
Ok my opinion is worth crap. But I have these in my big 4. Overkill? Without a doubt. But with these you just don’t have to worry about anything breaking. To me it was wortgythe money.
betz
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 7 2019, 05:55 PM) *

If you have a four, I would stick with a four setup unless you are the kind of driver that breaks things. No judgements, some people drive hard and want a car that can take it. Sometimes it better to break a cv than trash a trans. The sway away conversion axles are $300-350. I doubt there any way to do it for less than a grand when everything is added up. I did the early 911 setup on mine but the engine dynoed at 240hp. 3.2 with cams, chip, exhaust, etc.

I will be doing an engine swap but it's to an n/a 4cyl. I am not particularly the type of driver who breaks things. That being said, I tend to enjoy a car more when I know there is not a huge risk of breaking things. I would be super bummed if I just went WOT at like 20 mph and my CV broke. But if I dropped the clutch from a standstill and it broke, that would be my own fault.

It sounds like something I can definitely work out after the swap. In any case. Maybe I'll run it and if I ever break it, then I'll upgrade it. And be happy it wasn't my trans smile.gif
mepstein
I know someone with a small block chevy and stock 4 lug. He is careful but puts a lot of miles on his car. Just make sure the bolts are installed clean, use new washers and torqued to spec. Then check them after 100 miles.
porschetub
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ May 8 2019, 01:48 PM) *

Ok my opinion is worth crap. But I have these in my big 4. Overkill? Without a doubt. But with these you just don’t have to worry about anything breaking. To me it was wortgythe money.

agree.gif no need ,stock stuff in good condition is fine,enjoy your car by spending elsewhere like brakes for example....and other area's beerchug.gif .
mb911
What exactly is that kit even doing? At some point I will do something else on my car but for now it's just gonna be stock 914 stuff with drilled rear hubs..
Steve
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 8 2019, 06:43 AM) *

What exactly is that kit even doing? At some point I will do something else on my car but for now it's just gonna be stock 914 stuff with drilled rear hubs..

It's just adapters and bigger CV's to bolt up to stock 914-4 flanges and stock 914-4 stub axles. They mainly sell this kit for there V8 conversions. They block off first gear and turn the gear box into a 4 speed. I agree. A waste for anything less than 200hp. Even then, your just moving the breakage point to another area, namely first gear. That's why renegade hybrids blocks off first gear. When you get above 250 hp, first is worthless and it's easier to start off in second gear. So true with V8's, 3.6's or 3.2 with carbs.
Driving style, track or street also comes into play.

With my 3.2 and 915 trans. I am running all stock parts. 1986, 915 108mm flanges and CV's and early 911 108mm stub axles and CV's on the outside.
76-914
Stock CV's/axles 220 ft lbs torque in my 73. I put my foot in this thing on a regular basis and haven't broken anything in 15,000 miles. On the other hand, my V-8 914 will eat a CV for breakfast! If I were you I'd put my $$$ elsewhere. beerchug.gif
Steve
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 8 2019, 06:55 AM) *

Stock CV's/axles 220 ft lbs torque in my 73. I put my foot in this thing on a regular basis and haven't broken anything in 15,000 miles. On the other hand, my V-8 914 will eat a CV for breakfast! If I were you I'd put my $$$ elsewhere. beerchug.gif

agree.gif
It's the off the line burnouts that can blow a CV or 1st gear with a high hp motor. Also how sticky the tires are.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(betz @ May 7 2019, 07:07 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 7 2019, 05:55 PM) *

I will be doing an engine swap but it's to an n/a 4cyl. I am not particularly the type of driver who breaks things. That being said, I tend to enjoy a car more when I know there is not a huge risk of breaking things. I would be super bummed if I just went WOT at like 20 mph and my CV broke. But if I dropped the clutch from a standstill and it broke, that would be my own fault.

It sounds like something I can definitely work out after the swap. In any case. Maybe I'll run it and if I ever break it, then I'll upgrade it. And be happy it wasn't my trans smile.gif

Don't own stock in the company so this is just my opinion. Spend you money wisely but in the case of axels and most drive train parts, if its worth doing, its worth over doing!

These are extremely well made and you will never have to replace broken parts. For me after I dropped a CV joint and destroyed a SS heat exchanger, oil cooler, and head it was a no brainer to upgrade them even if I did not have 200 hp.
Click to view attachment
flmont
which company did those yellow axle's Mblizzard
Andyrew
Looks like renegade adapters
Mblizzard
QUOTE(flmont @ May 8 2019, 01:41 PM) *

which company did those yellow axle's Mblizzard

Renegade just painted them yellow for effect.
Mark Henry
I used the early 70's 911 108mm hubs, stubs and flanges, G50 CV's and sway-a-way axles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.