Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master Brake Cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ross
Hi Guys,

I have noticed a little "moisture" on the floor, at the corner/near the gas peddle area. I actually had a stain on the carpet in this area. The stain cleaned up easily. The moisture doesn't smell like gas, so I don't think that the fuel lines are leaking in the tunnel. But I am wondering if the master brake caliper could be leaking on the "plunger" side. A while ago I took the cover off of the area under the car that reveals the fuel lines and master cylinder and didn't see any leaks. I will check again this weekend. Have any of you all experienced any of these symptoms?

Thanks again!
Tom_T
QUOTE(Ross @ May 8 2019, 06:23 PM) *

Hi Guys,

I have noticed a little "moisture" on the floor, at the corner/near the gas peddle area. I actually had a stain on the carpet in this area. The stain cleaned up easily. The moisture doesn't smell like gas, so I don't think that the fuel lines are leaking in the tunnel. But I am wondering if the master brake caliper could be leaking on the "plunger" side. A while ago I took the cover off of the area under the car that reveals the fuel lines and master cylinder and didn't see any leaks. I will check again this weekend. Have any of you all experienced any of these symptoms?

Thanks again!

Look with a flashlight down into the bottom "floor" of the fuel tank/windshield-washer-bottle/MC compartment for pooling &/or holes/leaking of brake fluid, & also look underneath the car with the steering rack cover off (4-6 screws IIRC) for leaking & corrosion too.

Brake fluid can eat through the sheet metal floor pans just like water induced corrosion, & cause damage - especially at the welded mounts of the steering rack struts to the floor panel - which a definite safety problem!

Then also check the MC & lines/hoses as you plan to do.

Replace & repair as needed, which could include some sheet metal repairs &/or reinforcement for the floor/steering rack struts.

Don't ask me how I know! dry.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
Yep. I just made it into my garage and slowed to a stop. MC was original. Replaced and all was good. Don’t get the cheap URO one. I also replaced the soft lines since they go bad as well. One problem is the brake fluid ruins the bushings in the pedal assembly so that might have to be addressed. Bdstone914 rebuilds them better than new.
Ross
Thanks Guys.. I will give it a look this weekend
Mikey914
More than likely beerchug.gif the seal on the pedal side. You will know soon enough.
bdstone914
@Ross
Remove the pedal board and inspect the area. You may find a pool of brake fluid in the pedal set.
Pull the drivers side carpet, pedal pads and remove the two allen head bolts (5mm wrench) from the left and right sides o the pedal board.
Remove the pedal board. It comes out the bottom first and then up and over the pedals.
Pull thee boot on the master cylinder on and press the brakes hard. Watch fo fluid coming out the end of the master cylinder.

You are going to need access to this area to replace the master cylinder.
The area under the pedals is one of the most rust prone spots on the car. See pics below. You will probably want to remove the pedals and clean the area to prevent future rust.
Good luck, have fun.
Bruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.