Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Moulding Retaining Clips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmichalik
Hi everyone,
We're about to pull the windshield moulding retaining clips out for the respray. I've taken out plenty of clips before but for some reason, these seem a little different.
Is there anything special that should be done while removing them?
Do we need to preserve any of the existing clip for future use? They appear to be a one and done but, I just wanted to make sure.
Mike
iankarr
If you're pulling the glass, the easiest way is to stick a putty knife between the trim and frame directly above each clip, then rap it with a hammer to break the plastic pin holding the clip in place. That way you can pull the rest of the clip from the trim off the car and not risk bending it. It's super soft.

If you're not pulling the glass, you'll need a trim clip tool to gently free the trim, as you'll want to keep those clips intact. There's no good way to re-install them without removing the glass.
Tom_T
Hey Mike,

Off topic, but just a heads up that if you want to come by to look/visit, display or enter your 914 at our OC Concours in Dana Point on June 15th - put the mental note in now. There's a topic on the OCR Concours in the Garage Forum, & they're honoring the 914's 50th there.

If your 914 isn't running, then bring the 02 or whatever.

PS - IIRC it's about a 45 min drive up from VC to DP, but that's without the I-5 weekend zoo traffic.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mikey914
We do stock the trim removal tool if you need it and the new improved version of the clips.

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/w...-removal-tool-1
mmichalik
Thanks for all the reply's, gentlemen.
We removed the glass about a month ago and we're just now getting to the detail prep work around the a-pillars and cowl.
You've answered my question here. I appreciate that!
I'll be ordering the new clips soon.
Mike
dr914@autoatlanta.com
tap the pin through and always replace with new.

QUOTE(mmichalik @ May 15 2019, 02:14 PM) *

Hi everyone,
We're about to pull the windshield moulding retaining clips out for the respray. I've taken out plenty of clips before but for some reason, these seem a little different.
Is there anything special that should be done while removing them?
Do we need to preserve any of the existing clip for future use? They appear to be a one and done but, I just wanted to make sure.
Mike

mmichalik
Thanks George! That's what I figured but, I just wanted to confirm.
cashiersjm
I've been working on my windshield and received the new trim clips from 914Rubber, they are really great.
Mikey914
Thanks we did make some improvements to hopefully make them last longer as well as a sllight design change. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.