Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct ECU for 1.7 registered October 1971
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bibble
Hello all,

I am looking to get my ECU refurbished - the car was running very rich when it came off the road around 15 months ago. I have started to tidy up the pipes, check the mps, connectors etc but as I’m committed to retaining the original set up, I would like to have the ECU in top order, for now and the future. Took mine out yesterday and noted the serial number is very close to the rennlist table detailing the ECUs fitted but mine is slightly different - Bosch - 0280000032 as against 0280000037. The VW serial number is 022906021C which again is close with the same numbers just a different letter either A or U but seem to be either A or Bs or U ... but not a C ... My question is, is this an issue? Or just a slightly different number but essentially the correct ECU for the car? My car was first registered in the UK in October 1971.

I only ever seem to see the Bosch versions ending in 037 on eBay etc.

Also, any recommendations on a good company either in Europe to avoid customs duty or the USA to recondition my unit assuming it’s the correct one.

Many thanks for any advice

Jonathan
914_7T3
This has been the best resource for part # information on D-Jet

https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm

beerchug.gif
Bleyseng
Early ECU’s don’t have a idle mix adjustment knob as the 037 one does. Thats the difference pretty much. Rich running is usually not the ECU problem and if it works its good.
porschetub
What is giving you the indication the ECU is faulty?,there are other factors that cause a rich condition,leaking injectors ,bad fuel pressure regulator or even bad MPS to name a few in the system.
If the car runs I would say the ECU is ok,they are a very simple unit.
mepstein
Like others said, the ecu is usually the last thing that needs work, not the first.
JeffBowlsby
Checking the PNs, you clearly have the wrong ECU for your 1971 car. I could not determine which ECU you have by a quick search, but it is not for a 914.

Does it work for your car? Maybe, because D-Jet systems function similarly, but if so its just coincidence. Surely someone here has the correct ECU for your car.

Anders shows your car requiring PN 0280000015

I would start by reaching out to Bruce Stone on this board or other used parts sources.
Bleyseng
I have one for a 70-71 914 if you want it.
I understand it has the overrun circuit like the 75-76 052 ECU's have. What is that? Well, when you are driving along and you lift your foot off the gas petal you coast as the ECU shuts off the injectors until 2000 rpms when it turns them back on. My 77 VW bus with Ljet does the same thing so its to stop a over rich running when decelerating.
yellowporky
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=313564&hl=
I have one for sale on this board that is the correct part # for your car and was refurbished by fuel injection corp in Tracy Ca.
Chris

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ May 20 2019, 01:51 AM) *

Checking the PNs, you clearly have the wrong ECU for your 1971 car. I could not determine which ECU you have by a quick search, but it is not for a 914.

Does it work for your car? Maybe, because D-Jet systems function similarly, but if so its just coincidence. Surely someone here has the correct ECU for your car.

I would start by reaching out to Bruce Stone on this board or other used parts sources.

Good advise as always ,seemed a strange number off hand,Mr Anders has good info on that ,just found the ECU I'am selling isn't as I purchased for a later 1.7 and is really a 2.0 one WTF.gif …ebay really sucks sometimes,the a#shole selling it to me had painted over the ecu number with a rattle can and felt penned 1.7 914 on it headbang.gif headbang.gif .
Bibble
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 19 2019, 05:00 PM) *

Good advise as always ,seemed a strange number off hand,Mr Anders has good info on that ,just found the ECU I'am selling isn't as I purchased for a later 1.7 and is really a 2.0 one WTF.gif …ebay really sucks sometimes,the a#shole selling it to me had painted over the ecu number with a rattle can and felt penned 1.7 914 on it headbang.gif headbang.gif .

Thank you all for your advice and input. I did another trawl of the net and came up with a company in Germany EPS-Elecktronik who list the 032 ECU as being one they repair (alongside a very long list of other Porsche ECUs). They advise it was fitted to a 1.7 914 from 1969 -1972.

Also found one for sale in France quoting both the Bosch and VW numbers exactly as per mine. The advert advised it was fitted to a 1.7 from 1971-72.

Also an e-bay ad in Germany exactly the same PN again quoting it was for a Porsche 914 and a VW type 411 /412.

Could it just be a European thing? confused24.gif My car is a U.K. only car.

Best wishes

Jonathan

porschetub
I think you need the early one for your car ,just check it cause some will say it will work fine and you get ripped like I did.
You don't need a rebuilt one ,save your $$$ and invest in the rest of the system to make sure it is spot on.
Unless the car you have has a weird euro ECU just buy the right used one from members that sell on here,I buy from the UK to New Zealand and USA to New Zealand,shouldn't be a large shipping cost and you have been offered several,these aren't a sort after item.
Good luck beerchug.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Bibble @ May 19 2019, 09:30 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ May 19 2019, 05:00 PM) *

Thank you all for your advice and input. I did another trawl of the net and came up with a company in Germany EPS-Elecktronik who list the 032 ECU as being one they repair (alongside a very long list of other Porsche ECUs). They advise it was fitted to a 1.7 914 from 1969 -1972.

Also found one for sale in France quoting both the Bosch and VW numbers exactly as per mine. The advert advised it was fitted to a 1.7 from 1971-72.

Also an e-bay ad in Germany exactly the same PN again quoting it was for a Porsche 914 and a VW type 411 /412.

Could it just be a European thing? confused24.gif My car is a U.K. only car.

Best wishes

Jonathan

The 914 1.7L engines were also in the 411/412 VW cars. Damn near same exact engine with a few different bolt on parts.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
are you sure that yours is bad? Few fail and there are PLENTY available, yours did not have an enrichment knob, but would be nice to buy a used one with the knob on it. No reason to spring for some rebuilt one

QUOTE(Bibble @ May 18 2019, 09:16 PM) *

Hello all,

I am looking to get my ECU refurbished - the car was running very rich when it came off the road around 15 months ago. I have started to tidy up the pipes, check the mps, connectors etc but as I’m committed to retaining the original set up, I would like to have the ECU in top order, for now and the future. Took mine out yesterday and noted the serial number is very close to the rennlist table detailing the ECUs fitted but mine is slightly different - Bosch - 0280000032 as against 0280000037. The VW serial number is 022906021C which again is close with the same numbers just a different letter either A or U but seem to be either A or Bs or U ... but not a C ... My question is, is this an issue? Or just a slightly different number but essentially the correct ECU for the car? My car was first registered in the UK in October 1971.

I only ever seem to see the Bosch versions ending in 037 on eBay etc.

Also, any recommendations on a good company either in Europe to avoid customs duty or the USA to recondition my unit assuming it’s the correct one.

Many thanks for any advice

Jonathan

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.