Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 speedo inop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EXBOXR
Hi gang, I just bought a 914-6 recreation and the previous owner had the transmission
Flipped, So I guess the cable does not reach. So what has been your experience with
Making it work. I hear there is a GPS version that looks pricey. Thank you for the help.
I feel like I'm speeding to much.
I live in Santa Rosa CA. I see that there are 914 guys in Petaluma.
Ron Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
jrblackbox
welcome.png Nice car! More pics please!!
Cairo94507
welcome.png Welcome to the madness. That looks like a nice car. Please post pictures and let us all enjoy that car. beerchug.gif
Luke M
welcome.png It looks like a 915 with a Vellios kit installed if that's the trans/engine pic you posted. It may require a electronic speedo and associated hardware to make it all work.
The 915's with the electric speedo had a sensor mounted on the side cover.
Take a better pic of that and post it here to confirm.
tygaboy
I'm one of the folks in Petaluma. I'm helping another Santa Rosa 914 owner with some work on his car, probably this weekend. Please feel free to swing by and meet a couple locals, if you can make it. PM me and we can connect to coordinate details.

And I'd LOVE to see your car! aktion035.gif
Chris
sb914
welcome.png yes more pics please.nice car !
rgalla9146
Given that your car has a Carrera 3.2 engine it's very likely the trans is a later 915.
That's the good news.
The bad news is the diff is flipped..... putting the magnetic sensor disc for the speedo on the other
side of the case.
I see some fancy welding and fabrication in your future to run a OEM speedo.
PanelBilly
I have a speedo app and I use my phone. If you run Waze it has the speed on it too
porschetub
QUOTE(Luke M @ May 23 2019, 10:58 AM) *

welcome.png It looks like a 915 with a Vellios kit installed if that's the trans/engine pic you posted. It may require a electronic speedo and associated hardware to make it all work.

Yep that's the one,always wondered about flipping a 915,presume it works obviously with no lubrication issues otherwise someone would have only done it once biggrin.gif .
Seemed to remember there is a kit that mounts above CV with a optical sensor and trigger wheel however think I saw it on Pelican and it was for a 911.
Crazy looking car with those huge flares......
mepstein
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 22 2019, 09:03 PM) *

Yep that's the one,always wondered about flipping a 915,presume it works obviously with no lubrication issues otherwise someone would have only done it once biggrin.gif .
Seemed to remember there is a kit that mounts above CV with a optical sensor and trigger wheel however think I saw it on Pelican and it was for a 911.
Crazy looking car with those huge flairs......

They flipped the diff, not the entire trans.
ClayPerrine
You can get a 911 electronic speedo and a box from autometer to drive it. It looks stock, and doesn't change if you change tire size.

Directions are here.
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 22 2019, 09:34 PM) *

You can get a 911 electronic speedo and a box from autometer to drive it. It looks stock, and doesn't change if you change tire size.

Directions are here.

agree.gif so much easier than driving off the trans.
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 23 2019, 01:17 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ May 22 2019, 09:03 PM) *

Crazy looking car with those huge flairs......

They flipped the diff, not the entire trans.

Whoops ,teach me to read first headbang.gif headbang.gif
EXBOXR
Thank you for all the replies! Yes I think I'll look into the electronic speedo and the pickup unit. The flares are off a 930 and the front and rear valences are hand made by a guy named Joe George. It does have a 915 trans with a Vellios kit. Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.