Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: for the masters of 914 knowledge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
by looking at this picture, who can tell me the year, month of production and vehicle id number range?Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Sail panel dealer installed actualy not sure on vintage
Cairo94507
I do not believe I have ever seen that heavily grained material on a factory build. But I guess anything could happen. beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 23 2019, 10:18 AM) *

Sail panel dealer installed actualy not sure on vintage

nope
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 23 2019, 10:32 AM) *

I do not believe I have ever seen that heavily grained material on a factory build. But I guess anything could happen. beerchug.gif

wrong
dr914@autoatlanta.com
this car came in last night for restoration from indianna. Pretty original car except for the left front fender having been replaced, the rest of the paint was original. Upon seeing the car from a bit of a distance and seeing the sail vinyl, I told him that I could guess the year, the month of production, and the first two digits of the serial number after the 47-29. He did not believe it, but I was dead on the money.

I have had several cars like this one and they all followed the formula
Cairo94507
All right Doc, we are on pins and needles......
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I first saw this anomaly on a very very original 24,000 mile car I purchased. Upon getting the 914 I actually thought "why in the world would someone replace the side vinyl on such a low mile original car?" THEN in the subsequent years I saw it more and more establishing a pattern. Every car that had it was the same sequence, like other anomalies during different years. This is absolute factory side vinyl in an obvious very different pattern than all of the rest of the production

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 23 2019, 10:51 AM) *

All right Doc, we are on pins and needles......
914Sixer
Since Karmann built these cars along with several other car models, they used what was on the shelf that day. According to production records they were also building BMW 3.0 CS from 1971-1975. Might be a source of the vinyl in question.
914_teener
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 23 2019, 11:27 AM) *

Since Karmann built these cars along with several other car models, they used what was on the shelf that day. According to production records they were also building BMW 3.0 CS from 1971-1975. Might be a source of the vinyl in question.

blink.gif first.gif
sixnotfour
dr914@autoatlanta.com
ok here is the info:
around id number 4762903700 the factory must have run out of side vinyl for the last 300 or so cars, switched to this rough grained vinyl. I have seen this many times over the years, and it never fails that it is a 3700 and up serial number so will have the rough grain
rgalla9146
1971 is my guess
Goes along with the one year only elephant hyde interior
914Sixer
Personally I like the pattern better than the small sandpaper version. Gives more depth to the side. In the 70's when I did vinyl tops that would have been the Levant pattern. Mostly used on Ford products
dan10101
I think our 71 1.7 falls into that category. the pattern looks real familiar.
But, that was almost 40 years ago.

Click to view attachment
Bleyseng
Looks like the vinyl I used to have on my car.
Mikey914
I have seen this before, but it was on a 72. Had to check on which car it was, but figured it was a non factory option as they did come naked.
sixnotfour
I call BS that is not a 1976...its the sam charter 914-6...look at the trim .....or its the first and the last had it ??
sixnotfour
beer3.gif
sixnotfour
strange you only have a weird pic...
Bleyseng
How about this clear picture of the texture on the vinyl
Bleyseng
Does anyone know of a source for it?
sixnotfour
that is the best pic of the late 76
Bleyseng
Mine is pretty damn late-4063! I took off the sail vinyl as it was ripped and curled at the edges and wouldn't stay glued.
914werke
here is a basically a "survivor" 74 in marathon blue I just did some rust repair to ...
Note the vinyl idea.gif
type47fan
My '76 914 number 3947 has the heavily textured vinyl sails.

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
We should come up with a term for this Later than Late Targa vinyl texture. ALL 914 peculiarities/distinguishments have a term. Hell Hole. Silver dot. BRB's. Grasshopper. Hot Dog muffler. Steelies. How about:

"Elephant Hide"
"Rough Nauga"
"Dry Lake Bed"
lierofox
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 3 2019, 12:45 PM) *

We should come up with a term for this Later than Late Targa vinyl texture. ALL 914 peculiarities/distinguishments have a term. Hell Hole. Silver dot. BRB's. Grasshopper. Hot Dog muffler. Steelies. How about:

"Elephant Hide"
"Rough Nauga"
"Dry Lake Bed"

"Whatchu want?"
"You know the skin that's like, on your elbow?"
"Say no more, fam."
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 3 2019, 12:45 PM) *

"Elephant Hide"
"Rough Nauga"
"Dry Lake Bed"

Alligator Skin
sixnotfour
dry.gif
Porschef
Yes, looks like what was on my Nov 75 production car. Was pretty weatherbeaten when I replaced it with a sail panel kit. I noticed the slight difference when I installed it, didn’t think much about it.

As far as the targa vinyl goes, I don’t think it had the same grain, but I’d have to look at it to be sure confused24.gif
carl k
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 1 2019, 09:18 AM) *

Does anyone know of a source for it?

In the vintage Land Rover world, we call that texture of vinyl "elephant hide". I have an extra used driver's side piece. See the classifieds if interested.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.