Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '73 2.0 fuelie garage find rescue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris Steineger
Hello,

I just bought my first 914. Its a 1973 2.0 car that was parked inside past 15-20 years. Before, that it was always a Calif car, so no rust at all. And lottsa nice options. Green and tan. Car was previously owned & maintained by a retired Porsche mechanic.

I've pulled the calipers and gas tank for cleaning and rebuild. I did get the engine to fire by using a remote starter and dribbling gas down the fuelie throat. It sounds amazingly good given the long hibernation.

Q: what recommendations do you have regards cleaning & rebuilding the fuel injection system ? Obviously, I'm cleaning the tank and lines under the car. What vendors are recommended to rebuild fuel distributor or supply injectors and the lines in the engine compartment ?

Q: anybody have a spare tool kit for sale ?

Chris Steineger
Kansas City, KS
913-269-3722
JeffBowlsby
Hey Chris, welcome to 914s!

An FI and brake system flush/refresh is usually the first thing to be done after any hibernation...these cars are best when they are driven. Check or replace any worn/defective parts you find. Use OEM where available. Replace the fuel, engine oil and transaxle oil.

For the FI system, sounds like you are on it. Have the injectors cleaned/flow tested, replace fuel filter+gaskets+rubber fuel hoses+vacuum hoses, check the tunnel fuel lines that they are not clogged or heat damaged, and the fuel tank for varnish build up or corrosion.

Electrically, clean all grounds on the car, check fuses and lights. Check your engine bay wiring for condition, broken harnesses and wires, and clean corrosion from all contacts and relays. Use DeOxit spray cleaner and mechanically burnish all contacts and ground connections.
ctc911ctc
Chris,

Welcome to 914world. welcome.png

Since I recently un-mothballed a similar car 40 years in storage, here is what I learned:

1. replace ALL fuel lines PERIOD, if you still have Nylon (plastic) lines running through the tunnel (not under the car - right??) replace them with Stainless Steel (tangerine racing). There are a few pictures on the web of 914's as burn-downs, this is one of the reasons - broken fuel lines.

2. Injectors - clean them - I used Hurst Injectors - former Bosch injector employee, german dude.

3. Since it was stored in CA, most likely dry and hot! Replace ALL vacuum lines. If you have a D-Jet (1.7/2.0) everything is about vacuum. if you have idle trouble, you will be chasing other vacuum leaks - search on that topic and there are many post within these hallowed walls.

4. Brakes - complete rebuild if they are dodgy, not worth playing with.....I used PMB performance.

There are perhaps 20 more items, mostly related to hell-hole which perhaps you have been blessed not to be concerned with.

I was in your position 9 months ago, there is no issue that has not been covered within 914world, there are too many real pros on line every day just trying to help. Great fun, great site!
driving.gif

QUOTE(Chris Steineger @ May 27 2019, 12:01 PM) *

Hello,

I just bought my first 914. Its a 1973 2.0 car that was parked inside past 15-20 years. Before, that it was always a Calif car, so no rust at all. And lottsa nice options. Green and tan. Car was previously owned & maintained by a retired Porsche mechanic.

I've pulled the calipers and gas tank for cleaning and rebuild. I did get the engine to fire by using a remote starter and dribbling gas down the fuelie throat. It sounds amazingly good given the long hibernation.

Q: what recommendations do you have regards cleaning & rebuilding the fuel injection system ? Obviously, I'm cleaning the tank and lines under the car. What vendors are recommended to rebuild fuel distributor or supply injectors and the lines in the engine compartment ?

Q: anybody have a spare tool kit for sale ?

Chris Steineger
Kansas City, KS
913-269-3722

Cairo94507
Hi Chris - welcome.png Congratulations you found the perfect car and color combination too.

Look for rust everywhere and when you find it, they all have some, treat it to stop it dead so it does not spread.

For cars this old, I always count on a complete brake rebuild including rebuilding the proportioning valve and replacing the laster cylinder. I would replace all lines, even the hard lines just to ensure you never have to mess with them again. PMB, Eric Shea, is the best place to deal with any and all brake needs and questions. Additionally, he can advise you and supply lots of other parts. He is a 100% reliable and trustworthy guy who supports our community and loves the 914.

I would replace all fuel lines and hoses. All vacuum lines and FI hoses. Pull the gas tank and have it boiled out at a local radiator shop and then coated to protect it. Make sure you use the correct hose clamps for fuel lines.

New plugs, rotor, cap and wires. Have the FI injectors rebuilt or replace them with new.

Check all wire connections and grounds. Clean everything up and make sure it is all tightly connected. Grounds, there are quite a few, are critical on these cars. Clean and tighten all.

Replace the tires - they are probably beyond their lifespan unless you already replaced them.

Of course change all filters and fluids, including the transaxle.

Check all of the suspension bushings and rubber bits to make sure they are not dried up and disintegrated. Probably add new shocks and strut inserts to the list.

Probably should replace the battery.

Pull the interior out and clean everything. You might be surprised what you find after over 45 years of sitting around.

Check all lights to make sure they all work. Lube door, trunk and engine lid hinges.

Clean the heck out of everything and see what can be done to restore the paint to a nice shine and protect it.

Mostly, have fun and enjoy the whole process. These are great cars.

Cheers,
Michael beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.