Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are Koni shocks still hard to come by?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
It looks like i blew out two of my Koni adjustable shocks this weekend on those fine SoCal freeways. Both the drivers side front and rear are leaking a lot of oil out the top.
dry.gif

Anyways, i remember that some years ago they were hard to come by and all the major outlets had them listed but actually didn't have any in stock.

Anyone had any luck lately in buying a full set somewhere?
idea.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 9 2019, 09:37 PM) *

It looks like i blew out two of my Koni adjustable shocks this weekend on those fine SoCal freeways. Both the drivers side front and rear are leaking a lot of oil out the top.
dry.gif

Anyways, i remember that some years ago they were hard to come by and all the major outlets had them listed but actually didn't have any in stock.

Anyone had any luck lately in buying a full set somewhere?
idea.gif

@SirAndy Picked up a set of fronts last June from Pelican and they were in stock so you can try there.

Click to view attachment
Krieger
I think it was the Red shocks that were hard to come by. They may have stopped making them a few years back. The Yellow Sports were still available last I checked. PSI at Sears Point can rebuild your old ones, but it's not cheap.
914_7T3
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jun 9 2019, 10:12 PM) *

I think it was the Red shocks that were hard to come by. They may have stopped making them a few years back. The Yellow Sports were still available last I checked. PSI at Sears Point can rebuild your old ones, but it's not cheap.

Yes, the fronts are yellow, but used a rebuilt set of reds in the rear.
koozy
Andy, Tire Rack has them. Link below gets you to both fronts and rears in a Tire Rack search

https://tinyurl.com/yyosqo6s
914Sixer
Red rears are NLA. Porsche does have the adjustable rears in black BUT they are NOT external adjustment. Koni front reds are available as Koni Classic but they are NOT external adjustment either. All Koni yellows are GAS shocks.

I have a set of NOS Front Koni's but they have to be adjusted before installation.
roblav1
You can get those rebuilt somewhere. Shock oil and seals is about it. Years ago, TruChoice used to do them.
jcd914
Koni's used to carry a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.
They had to be sent to a specific place (maybe Truchoice) and you had to have your receipt to show you were the original purchaser. I had a set that lost gas pressure and they replaced them.

No idea if that is still their policy.

Jim
Andyrew
I bought some yellows on ebay. they were pretty cheap and fit right in my struts.

Those roads are crap crap crap.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Koni-8641-1039SPOR...872.m2749.l2649
bdstone914
@SirAndy

I have used Koni rear red rear you can have for shipping cost. Maybe a pair of inserts

They are old style oil filled. Might have a usable pair. Or use these to get rebuilt and then swap them out.
Koni availability is hit and miss on new inserts and shocks. Used to have to call them when I worked at Pelican to verify actual availability.
You are better off with new shocks all around.

Bruce
SirAndy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 10 2019, 05:20 AM) *
Red rears are NLA. Porsche does have the adjustable rears in black BUT they are NOT external adjustment. Koni front reds are available as Koni Classic but they are NOT external adjustment either. All Koni yellows are GAS shocks.
I have a set of NOS Front Koni's but they have to be adjusted before installation.

They are the yellow ones that have the external adjuster on top and i too thought they were GAS shocks but both of them are leaking OIL from the top.

So now i'm more confused than usual ...
unsure.gif
jkb944t
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 10 2019, 12:25 PM) *

They are the yellow ones that have the external adjuster on top and i too thought they were GAS shocks but both of them are leaking OIL from the top.

So now i'm more confused than usual ...
unsure.gif

Gas shocks do have oil in them. A gas charged shock or strut uses high-pressure nitrogen gas to reduce oil foaming during high-speed damping, and therefore maintains performance.

Jeff B
horizontally-opposed

Koni front reds are available as Koni Classic but they are NOT external adjustment either.

Took a look at their site, but unable to find them there. Ideas for other sources online? Would like to get a look at these, as I am considering having a pair of rear reds rebuilt but need red fronts. If the new ones include spindles… idea.gif

Everyone tells me the Bilstein HDs I installed are the superior shock absorber, but my butt dyno suggests Koni reds are very hard to beat on the street short of the exotic stuff like JRZ, etc, which can be wonderful once you figure out how to dial them in. Sometimes, KISS really is the way to go.
914Sixer
Just posted some Koni Reds for sale in classified.
michael7810
PSI rebuilt my 944 Koni yellows a couple years ago. Can’t remember the cost but it wasn’t bad.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jun 9 2019, 10:12 PM) *
PSI at Sears Point can rebuild your old ones, but it's not cheap.

I'll get in touch with them and see how much they want. They're just up the road from me ...
smile.gif
sixnotfour
good ole Paragon Products
https://www.paragon-products.com/Porsche-91...truts-s/284.htm
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 10 2019, 01:00 PM) *

I know who *lists* them, that's not the problem.

I'd like to know who actually has them in stock, hence my original question asking if anyone had any luck actually getting any lately.
shades.gif
eeyore
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 10 2019, 12:00 PM) *

How could you expect the OP to do something as difficult as pick a phone and call vendors?
johnlush
Last ones I got were from Paragon. The owner (as far as I know he still is) is Jason Burkett who is a fellow enthusiast and a great source of information. Might be worth pinging him...

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 10 2019, 02:00 PM) *
SirAndy
QUOTE(eeyore @ Jun 10 2019, 02:06 PM) *
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 10 2019, 12:00 PM) *
How could you expect the OP to do something as difficult as pick a phone and call vendors?

I could just randomly call a gazillion people OR ask a question here and hopefully narrow down the targets.

Anyways, from the constructive feedback posted above your post, it looks like Paragon might be a good candidate ...
beerchug.gif
bigkensteele
I knew that red rears were adjustable before installation. Are the red fronts as well?
Andyrew
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jun 10 2019, 02:19 PM) *

I knew that red rears were adjustable before installation. Are the red fronts as well?

Yes, push down all the way and turn left or right to adjust the reds.
Olympic 914
Back in February I got a set of Koni adjustables for the rear from Ground Control.

Click to view attachment

They had the shocks in stock, but I had a wait for the springs to come in.
michael7810
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jun 10 2019, 12:28 PM) *

PSI rebuilt my 944 Koni yellows a couple years ago. Can’t remember the cost but it wasn’t bad.

Just checked - PSI charged $550 shipped to rebuild 944 front sport struts
Krieger
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Jun 10 2019, 03:04 PM) *

Back in February I got a set of Koni adjustables for the rear from Ground Control.

Click to view attachment

They had the shocks in stock, but I had a wait for the springs to come in.

Thems yella! He wants red adjustable.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jun 10 2019, 05:31 PM) *
Thems yella! He wants red adjustable.

@Krieger

No, no i don't. I never mentioned red. In fact, i did say that i have yellow ones at one point.
shades.gif
Krieger
Between both of our red cars I really got locked into red! lol-2.gif I have reds on my 4 and yellows on my 6. Both adjustable. I like them both. My 6 seems to ride a little better. But my six does have stiffer springs all around, poly bronze bushings and more suspension travel in the front.
Andyrew
Who wants reds over yellow?
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 10 2019, 07:34 PM) *

Who wants reds over yellow?

That'd be me. slap.gif
Mark Henry
Anyone want rear reds for a 911? Most definitely need rebuild, leaking.
Free + shipping

But it does depend on if I can find where I put them. wink.gif
markhoward
Try TSM Enhanced in Arizona. Much cheaper than Performance Shock. Seems they are mainly focused on motorcycle shocks but also do automotive. Have not used them yet but called a while back about redoing red 914 koni's. Pretty sure this was the place.. http://www.tsmenhanced.net/SERVICES.htm
bdstone914
@SirAndy

What front suspension do you have?

914 or 911?
If 911 what year and do you have Boge, or Koni struts in the front ?
If you have stock 914 Boge struts, Pelican has all in stock.

Wes works at Pelican and can help you with an order. Contact me by PM for details.
Or email him at whuetten@pelicanparts dot com.

Bruce
SirAndy
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 11 2019, 08:03 AM) *

@SirAndy
What front suspension do you have?
914 or 911?
If 911 what year and do you have Boge, or Koni struts in the front ?
If you have stock 914 Boge struts, Pelican has all in stock.
Wes works at Pelican and can help you with an order. Contact me by PM for details.
Or email him at whuetten@pelicanparts dot com.

@bdstone914

911 front end with yellow Koni's, got the yellow ones on all 4 corners ...
smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.