Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roofs: differences between early and late
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KSCarrera
Can anyone tell me the differences between 'early' and 'late' roofs? I've seen reference to them being different in relation to the door window seals, but a) have no idea what year determines early or late in this instance and b) what is the difference.

Anyone care to throw some light on the matter? My car is a '75, with the correct doors/window glass, but the roof was replaced by a PO.

Thanks!
McMark
Everything you want to know and more.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=73129
Steve
If the window is all the way up and there is still a 1/4” gap, you might have an early top.
Chi-town
The gap is caused by the seal difference not the top.
McMark
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jun 10 2019, 09:37 AM) *

Early and late tops have different rear mounting blocks. So you're 1/2 right.
fixer34
I believe the very early tops did not have a liner either.
KSCarrera
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jun 10 2019, 05:24 PM) *

Ahah! My top doesn't have a liner and there's no sign of any glue to suggest there ever was... Thanks for that.
SirAndy
QUOTE(KSCarrera @ Jun 10 2019, 09:50 AM) *
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jun 10 2019, 05:24 PM) *
Ahah! My top doesn't have a liner and there's no sign of any glue to suggest there ever was... Thanks for that.

Read the thread that McMark linked in the first answer after your initial post ...
shades.gif
Chi-town
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 10 2019, 08:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jun 10 2019, 09:37 AM) *

Early and late tops have different rear mounting blocks. So you're 1/2 right.

And different latches but usually they don't hold the top up that high too create a window gap
Rand
Enjoy the liners all you want. It's the top that fits or not. Early and late are different. McMark posted the link you need.
KSCarrera
Thanks guys - I did a search earlier but somehow missed finding the thread you've all highlighted. Makes sense now – clearly have an early top, which fits OK except for that door window seal. As I have a 1500-mile trip to Germany and Belgium and then back to south west UK in 10 days time, I'll have to hope that it doesn't rain too much before I search out a later top on my return. Had enough of driving with a towel across my lap in my old 914/6...

Again, thanks for your help – have a beer on me. I'll be in the local pub on Friday night. See you there, OK? beerchug.gif beer3.gif beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.