Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A little help? Stall issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
milwlandrover
Good afternoon Guys,

I had my car put away in the winter. Took it out about 1 day in March ago on a 40 degree day and it started just great. Drove about 10 miles and shut it off. The next day it didn't start . I screwed around with it to no avail.
Saturday a Volkswagen guy came to the house and we changed all the plug wires, new plugs (gapped) cleaned the distributor, set the timing, pulled all the injectors and cleaned them and replaced the injector hoses. Started it up and although it "hunted" at idle once I drove around it was running fine. After about 10 miles I lost power, it was like there was no throttle. I waited 20 minutes and it started and ran about a mile and would lose power again. It did this about 5 times and then it ran good again.
I was thinking it sounds like "vapor lock", but it was only about 70 degrees here in Milwaukee I didn't think the vapor lock would happen multiple times.
I toped the tank off with new Premium fuel.
I checked my compression and #1 plug was 90 #2 90 #3 80 and #4 was 70 but those readings were before we got the engine started so I would expect them to be low.
Any ideas?
As always, thanks for your help.
porschetub
[quote name='milwlandrover' date='Jun 11 2019, 06:21 AM' post='2721363']
Good afternoon Guys,

I had my car put away in the winter. Took it out about 1 day in March ago on a 40 degree day and it started just great. Drove about 10 miles and shut it off. The next day it didn't start . I screwed around with it to no avail.
Saturday a Volkswagen guy came to the house and we changed all the plug wires, new plugs (gapped) cleaned the distributor, set the timing, pulled all the injectors and cleaned them and replaced the injector hoses. Started it up and although it "hunted" at idle once I drove around it was running fine. After about 10 miles I lost power, it was like there was no throttle. I waited 20 minutes and it started and ran about a mile and would lose power again. It did this about 5 times and then it ran good again.
I was thinking it sounds like "vapor lock", but it was only about 70 degrees here in Milwaukee I didn't think the vapor lock would happen multiple times.
I toped the tank off with new Premium fuel.
I checked my compression and #1 plug was 90 #2 90 #3 80 and #4 was 70 but those readings were before we got the engine started so I would expect them to be low.
Any ideas?

Could be the coil is breaking down,had the same issues in the past myself,vapor lock isn't completely reliant on ambient temp its more about placement of the pump near a heat source ,the heat is an issue but in real terms its also about the fact that pumps are better @ drawing from a nearby supply than they are sucking from a distant supply,not sure where pump is however.
The factory moved the pump later on to the front of the car for these reasons.
Also try retesting your compression again with the engine up to running temp,throttle open...those numbers are really not very good,hopefully they will come up and be more even .

914_teener
agree.gif

Not good compression. Are the valves adjusted properly?
porschetub
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jun 11 2019, 10:51 AM) *

agree.gif

Not good compression. Are the valves adjusted properly?

Good point forgot to add that,just presumed they had done a full tune-up,cheers.
milwlandrover
Thanks guys, the Volks guy said I should pour a shot of Sea Foam in the spark plug hole and let it sit for (2) days then change the oil. I looked at it last night and found the oil level in the air cleaner was almost nil. I added oil and drove it for 30 minutes at road speed and about 15 minutes on the highway. It ran pretty well. Had no problem hitting 80mph. What do you guys think about Sea Foam? I've read some that say it is not only not good but actually bad for an engine. It seems it is a solvent and if I change the oil after a two day soak it could clean and help with the compression. The car has been idle.
Your thoughts.

cheers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.