Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuching DJet issues *SOLVED*
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
BeatNavy
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

In addition to having a solid running car you now know a boat load more about it, particularly D-Jet. Hardest problems to solve are the compound ones, where multiple issues send mixed signals making the troubleshooting process a bear.

Way to stick with it, and congrats!
76-914
QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 17 2019, 05:55 PM) *

Issues fixed. Had multiple things going on. Distributor vacuum canister leaked. Replaced with the 123 distributor.

Tiny vacuum leak ended up being a worn throttle body linkage shaft (at least that’s what I’m calling it). Was a very minor leak, but a leak just the same. It didn’t show up on the smoke test I did, but it did show up when I tried pressurizing the system. Replaced with a NOS throtyle body I found on ebay (got lucky there, price was reasonable, too). It doesn’t have the safety spring like the later models, but I doubled up on the TB return spring for piece of mind.

Engidlebidles at a perfect 950rpm.

Next step was to tune the air fuel mixture. The rebuilt MPS I got from Jeff had been reset to factory default settings, but was way too lean for my car as I had originally thought. I adjusted the MPS using Chris/Tangerine Racing MPS adjustment tools in conjunction with the Plex wideband sensor I installed last year.
My AFR is now 13.5 at partial load, and 12.5 at WOT. Idle is at 12.2. I may try bringing the idle mixture up a bit with the ECU knob.

The car drives fantastic. Having a steady idle after 12+ years of ownership is a thing of beauty. And just in time to enter the car into the Edmonds car show in Sept 8th!

What a journey! Although extremely frustrating at times, I sure learned a lot through the process.

Thanks for all the input/help from everyone!

A huge congratulations to you. I like your approach; check everything and repair it. Newbies take note: these are 50 year old cars. You cannot rely upon any 50 year old part. Looks like your good for another 50 now! beerchug.gif
Jett
Great persistence. My car is at Chris’s German auto and the more they touch it the worse it gets... I’ll have Chris call you to get this fixed smile.gif
DRPHIL914
Way to go!! Good for you for hanging in there. As usual
With d-jet it’s always related to the distributor, vac function and leaks, and the MPS. I have yet to see a MPS that once “set to factory specs” that has not been too lean and needed to be adjusted less lean. Sounds like you nailed it and those are good numbers!
Rand
Thanks for sharing the solutions. Often people don't.
ssuperflyoldguy
appreciate the write ups, diagnosis & help from everyone. So many threads on the internet never have closure (like what finally solved it) - Bonus, I have a 75, removing smog too but it's a 2.0 with Bus Heads - this thread will help me get mine back running (I hope, parked it a few years ago because it was running rough and I smelled fuel) have it up on jackstands finally and will install my stainless steel fuel lines soon!

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.