Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn honks when I turn the steering Wheel ?!?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
casey944
Good morning and happy fathers day. I recently thought it was a good move to install a new turn signal switch for my 914 as the left turn signal had been acting up. I purchased the copy part that Sierra Madre sells. The quality looked good but the pieces that came on the "new" part that the guide the wires through the column were too big to fit so I retrofitted the parts from the old one I removed.

Anyway all items work fine including the signal and all other stalk features. Issue is now that the horn honks all the time when turning the wheel. I can no longer get the button to ground and have the horn honk.

I have a momo wheel hub and an OEM Porsche horn button. Any recommendations on where to look or make adjustments? I already adjusted out the piece that is attached to the turn signal switch to see if that would help but it doesn't.

Please help or let me know where I can buy a good OEM turn signal stalk as I expect that to be the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Casey

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Steve
If the turn signal screws are not all the way down, when you turn the wheel you will hit one and engage the horn. It’s a simple ground to engage the horn.
stoneman30hotmail
I had this problem and came up with this less than informative thread. But I have the answer now.
Click to view attachment
Actually my problem wasn't even quite correlated with steering wheel, but odd bumps and maneuvers. Regardless, if you do anything with the steering wheel connectors the wiring can get out of it's holddown and can rub against the bolt on the steering column joint.
The picture is lookinng from above the pedals out. So in my case I fished some electrical tape around the brown white wire and pushed the bundle back into the metal holddowns so that the bolt would clear when the wheel was turned. It's pretty tight even then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.