Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resealing an engine - what is needed and tips?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
I have a healthy 2.0L that has been sitting for at least 5+ years that I want to put back into service. The engine is out so now would be the time to reseal it.

I was hoping to get a list of what you would recommend doing and any been there / done that lessons learned.

I’ve decided to just replace the oil cooler with a new one since they are so cheap, thanks to @bbrock go that tip.

Thanks!
barefoot
Does it show any oil leakage indications as it sits now ?
As a minimum, oil cooler seals, push rod Viton seals, rocker cover gaskets plus any oil gallery plugs (replace with threaded plugs)
injunmort
I have done this just using a reinz engine gasket kit, front and rear main seals. I did not remove heads. just all pushrod tube seals, strainer oil pump/cooler, etc. any gasket without head removal. did not want to disturb piston/ring/cylinder assembly. this engine is on its third season with no oil leaks. it had sat for twenty plus years prior.
Tdskip
Thanks for the responses.

@barefoot - nothing that noticeable now, actually looks decent but then again it's been sitting and not heat cycled in a long time,

@injunmort - seems like you where happy with that kit? Would you recommend ordering it?
injunmort
I would. then you will have some extras if the need arises. the front and rear seals are not included and need to be ordered separately.
Tdskip
QUOTE(injunmort @ Jul 12 2019, 11:39 AM) *

I would. then you will have some extras if the need arises. the front and rear seals are not included and need to be ordered separately.

Thank you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.