Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project: Nugget - Intro
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris914n6
So I picked up this 71 from a local member, who just wanted the 1.7L block and tailshifter for his racing pastime. Currently looks like a burnt chicken nugget but is the special order Gold Metallic underneath. Interior is missing, all rubber & plastic is sun destroyed, but the chassis is solid.

Currently debating if I should buy the original 1.7FI eng/trans while I still can and spend beaucoup time and money on a full resto (needs a new everything), or use up some of my parts stash (2.oFI & side shifter, 2 seat interior & 6x15 cookies) and build a car I’d want to drive a few years before needing to sell it off in 5 to 10 to fund retirement.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB ImageIPB Image

Chris914n6
Rust, mostly from packed dirt, and a bunch of surface.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Chris914n6
Time capsule and the reason it was parked in 1982. icon_bump.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Chris914n6
Looks like it was resprayed Gold once and then painted Copper Metallic with some pimp pin striping.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Claybar and Polish on the only nice spot... shiny

IPB Image
Chris914n6
What's the dealio with these wheelio?

2 have wide spokes (1 3/8") that are thin (1/2"). 2 have narrow spokes (1") that are thick (3/4"). Caps are American Racing. 5.5x15

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
IronHillRestorations
It's a little roached out, but I've seen worse. It looks solid chassis and the gold is a cool color IMHO. Could be a great starting place. You should see some of the salt belt cars that have been saved, so in that regard you're ahead of the curve.

(whispers)...go the distance...
mepstein
So let’s say you spend $50k making it new/the way other people like it. How long will it take to recoup? Or you build the car you want and enjoy it. Then sell it for market value. You just have to decide who you are building it for.

My feeling is the only way you make a profit on restorations is to have a customer writing a check for parts and labor from day one. When you build it, hoping they will come, you never get paid in full for your labor.

Case in point- if building restorations on spec made money, shops would buy a project, restore it and then sell for a profit to a buyer vs dealing with a customer from day one.
76-914
Your best return would be to sell it to someone that is looking for a good 914 shell. Get the one that you poke.gif almost drove to WCR running. beerchug.gif
Chris914n6
I think my best course is to build it from my parts stash. I need to start cleaning out the garage.

Don't worry Kent, it's #5 on the todo list biggrin.gif The Nissan6 only needs head gaskets and a few while-I'm-theres.
rick 918-S
Nice start to a great car with a great color driving.gif I vote part stash. smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif
roblav1
I'd sell that tub! I've seen far worse, especially in northeast. But every time I take these cars apart, I find far more problems than anticipated.
Tdskip
Parts stash
76-914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 15 2019, 07:41 PM) *

I think my best course is to build it from my parts stash. I need to start cleaning out the garage.

Don't worry Kent, it's #5 on the todo list biggrin.gif The Nissan6 only needs head gaskets and a few while-I'm-theres.

You're killing me!
Dave_Darling
The wheels are likely purchased onesey-twosey as the owner found "deals" or damaged one. They're aftermarket, and likely by different manufacturers.

The car is a money loser. It will not be worth the money you put into it in 5 years. Probably not in 10 years. Maybe in 20? Hard to tell, my crystal ball is foggy.

If you want a project to mess with and enjoy the work on, and you're OK with not making your money back, go for it. If you are a super smart shopper who can get great deals on everything, and can do all of your own work (especially body work, welding, paint) then you have a better chance of making your money back.

But if money is one of your top priorities, you probably need to find another car.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.