Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear sway bar banging on bumpy roads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PNW_Boxer993
Hi 914world members,
I have researched the topic of rear sway bar hitting the trunk on lowered cars on this forum (thank you all for sharing!) This is the case for my 914 - and it appears that the "easy" fix is to turn the sway bar upside down (or reverse it.) . I wanted to post pictures of my current installation to ensure that this would be the fix for me. Opinions/recommendations welcome. Also - level of effort/complexity related to the fix and anything else I should be addressing during the fix. Thank you in advance for your assistance! Cheers, Tony

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
Looks to me like you've got a bad bushing at one of the brackets, which will make a clunk
porschetub
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jul 14 2019, 02:59 PM) *

Looks to me like you've got a bad bushing at one of the brackets, which will make a clunk

agree.gif hard to say anything else..cheap as cheese to replace.
PNW_Boxer993
Thank you both! Let me take some better pictures and upload. I will also highlight the spot where it appears to be hitting. Will upload more pictures tomorrow.
rgalla9146
Your car is too low.
The bottom collars an the Bilsteins are very high on the shock...with a spacer ?
You have aftermarket springs which look too short. And too stiff.
Unless you have these parts for a reason get stock springs, remove the spacer
and set the lower collar on the third groove (from the bottom) of the shock .
The car will be as low as necessary without the bumping.
I'm assuming they are Bilsteins by the color and the grooves but the lower collars are not familiar to me.
My suggestions apply to a lower collar as pictured.
914Sixer
Body mounts to the bar are NOT stock and are incorrect. Stock mount does not bolt on like that. Bar mounts hould be welded to trunk floor pan. Second the springs are not stock either, that's why they are so high.
76-914
agree.gif Perry AND Mark are correct in their assessments. 6th perch if it is a six. beerchug.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 14 2019, 09:52 AM) *

agree.gif Perry AND Mark are correct in their assessments. 6th perch if it is a six. beerchug.gif

3rd perch on a 6
rgalla9146
incorrect bar mounts.
aftermarket springs.
unknown lower cups.
link bushes.
race car ?
all bets off
76-914
6th on this six confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 14 2019, 10:48 AM) *

Click to view attachment

sad.gif three pics of Bilsteins and three different lower cup arrangements.
What engine is that ?
mepstein

Click to view attachment

I used the Billstein lower collars, set it on the 4th groove and it's too low, I intend to raise it to the 6th groove. Rory is using a different lower perch that effectively raises the lower height to about the 6th groove. Just a different way of getting there.
Larmo63
agree.gif

He seems to have a few issues going on.

The bar itself could be mounted upside down too.
SirAndy

You can mount the bar upside down on purpose which will change the angle where it connects to the drop links which in turn will prevent the bar/links from hitting the trunk floor.

I know there's picture of that setup on here somewhere ...
idea.gif

914Toy
Take the bar off unless you are competitively driving on a racing track.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 14 2019, 11:24 AM) *

914 LTD sells that kit
sixnotfour
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jul 14 2019, 02:42 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 14 2019, 11:24 AM) *

914 LTD sells that kit

forgot the link popcorn[1].gif
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Origin...hMAAOSw2gxYxyN5
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(914Toy @ Jul 14 2019, 11:52 AM) *

Take the bar off unless you are competitively driving on a racing track.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but can you tell more about this solution? I removed the bar on my 1976 V8 car for exhaust clearance reasons. It's a narrow body and will never be much of a track car (not intended to be). It's lower than stock.

IPB Image

Does the rear bar hurt handling or is it just that it doesn't help any?

Why did Porsche install it on the later cars? Due to the new, heavy bumpers or the taller stance?
SirAndy
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Jul 14 2019, 03:08 PM) *
Does the rear bar hurt handling or is it just that it doesn't help any?

Neither ...

I added a stock rear bar to my '70 and it makes it handle noticeably better.
smile.gif
914Toy
My earlier comment applies to a stock suspension and car weight - do not need a rear bar for street driving.jn
brant
I love a rear bar on a street car. Really fun. Definitely improves a stock-ish car with mild spring rates. (140)
PNW_Boxer993
Thank you to everyone for their feedback. Given some of the compounding issues highlighted, this has become more than what I am
comfortable with. Will seek some additional local help to resolve. Thank you everyone! Tony.
76-914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 14 2019, 08:06 AM) *

Click to view attachment

sad.gif three pics of Bilsteins and three different lower cup arrangements.
What engine is that ?

The Dark Side; Subaru 6 biggrin.gif
76-914
Ahaa!
Eric_Shea
Mounted upside down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.