Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts on bending plastic brake reservior lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tailwind22
Working on my 70 914-6 resto and the plastic brake reservoir feed lines that I have need a little work in the bends for a better fit. I tried to use a hot air gun but didn't have a lot of luck with the bends in the plastic lines. Anyone have suggestions?
bbrock
Yeah, get ready to fill the swear jar. Worst job on my project so far. mad.gif

I did manage to use a heat gun to get the bends in but it takes time, patience, and patience. I didn't get the bends perfect and don't think it is necessary. Get them close and then use the metal strip hold downs to hold it in place. Getting those fittings that go into the MC on is where the swearing starts. There is nothing fun about those lines.
914Sixer
Put a want to buy, should be easy to find some. Not an item that is sold very often, usually end up in the trash.
tailwind22
I've got mine correctly situated in the MC (yes, with considerable swearing) so not going to try to find a better fitting set. I think I only need to make some small progress. I probably did not heat up enough.
Chris914n6
What makes you think the vinyl tubing was bent into shape in the first place?
aturboman
Click to view attachment

They were, NOS piece.

It's Polymide tubing, same material as early CIS fuel lines.
raynekat
I agree, that they came that way (bent) from the factory.
I recently bought some factory tubing from the dealer and both pieces had similar bends as the pic above.

IMHO....The type and number of bends just wouldn't happen naturally to a straight piece of plastic tubing over time.
JeffBowlsby
Polyamide is nylon. Insert a thick gage copper wire as a mold. Use a heat gun and hold it until it cools down.
tailwind22
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jul 18 2019, 06:53 PM) *

Polyamide is nylon. Insert a thick gage copper wire as a mold. Use a heat gun and hold it until it cools down.

That's an interesting thought
90quattrocoupe
You can also use spring benders. Slide the tubing into the bender, bend tubing to shape, heat bender enough to warm nylon tube, let cool with the bender on it and remove bender. It should hold the shape.

IPB Image

Greg W.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.