Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jack point panel replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toadman
The jack point panel on the passenger side of my car appears to be cracked, not rusted.

This part is NLA from Porsche. Restoration Design, Sierra Madre and Auto Atlanta (maybe others) offer replacements. Does anyone know if there are any quality differences for this part among these suppliers?

The panel and receiver tube are offered separately. Is it possible to replace the panel by itself or should I plan on replacing the panel and tube together?

Thanks
Cairo94507
I am not sure what you mean by the panel. If you mean the small square-ish tube that the factory jack would go into, (see the circled part in the picture) as well as the sort of domed surround that the square tube goes into, then yes, I would replace both at the same time. If you mean the longitudinal that runs from the front to the rear of the car, that the domed piece is welded to, that depends on if the longitudinal really is solid or not. Take a grinder to it and you will see if there is rust or not. (As an aside, I had a minor anxiety attack when I looked at this picture and saw what my looked like at one point, in a galaxy far far away.) beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
mepstein
They rust from the inside out. Remove the old one and see what you have.
toadman
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 20 2019, 03:15 PM) *

I am not sure what you mean by the panel. If you mean the small square-ish tube that the factory jack would go into, (see the circled part in the picture) as well as the sort of domed surround that the square tube goes into, then yes, I would replace both at the same time. If you mean the longitudinal that runs from the front to the rear of the car, that the domed piece is welded to, that depends on if the longitudinal really is solid or not. Take a grinder to it and you will see if there is rust or not. (As an aside, I had a minor anxiety attack when I looked at this picture and saw what my looked like at one point, in a galaxy far far away.) beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

The dome and square tube that are circled in your picture are the parts I am talking about.
914werke
confused24.gif Both are readily available replacement steel components from various sources.
A crack in the tube may mean underlying rust that may necessitate replacement of both,
but not necessarily. If it is simply a crack it could be welded up with no ill effect.
You are correct to be cautious as the tube is intended to support the full weight of the car when jacking with the OE Jack.
Larmo63
Pictures here might be helpful?

Just saying.
toadman
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 20 2019, 07:49 PM) *

Pictures here might be helpful?

Just saying.

I agree. Pic is attached. Lighting is not great.

The dome-shaped panel is cracked. The jack receiver tube seems to be in good shape. All of the panel welds to the longitudnal also look pretty good.

I have owned the car for 18 years and have never raised it using the factory jack. I always have used a floor jack and lifted at the doughnut jackpoints underneath.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Take the paint off. Probably rusted out from the inside. Paint doesn't rust so it looks fine until it's not. Remove the paint for a better look. Once you get the plate off, the long might need some patching. The weep hole gets clogged and holds the water and dirt against the metal.
Cairo94507
If you have the desire, skills and the welder, etc, I would grind down the spot welds so you can see them better and then use a spot weld cutter drill bit and remove that piece entirely. Then grind down the longitudinal a good 4" on either side to see if you have solid metal to weld the new receiver support and tube onto. Don't be afraid to take a pick to the area and see if you can penetrate the long. Does no good to try to weld new metal to rust. Then treat the area for rust, use a good epoxy primer and then paint to match. Lots here have done this repair to their cars. If your long is good, that is a relatively easy repair. beerchug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 22 2019, 03:52 PM) *

Take the paint off. Probably rusted out from the inside. Paint doesn't rust so it looks fine until it's not. Remove the paint for a better look. Once you get the plate off, the long might need some patching. The weep hole gets clogged and holds the water and dirt against the metal.

agree.gif Yeah, that's rust. I'll bet if you stab it with a screw driver it punches right through. Looks pretty minor but I agree with Mark. Yank it off and do whatever needs to be done to the long while it is still easy and cheap.

Give the other side a close inspection and cleaning too.
roblav1
I'd cut the bottom part of it out, at the corners, and Tig in new steel. 14 or 16 gauge there.
914Sixer
Just cut off from the bottom of jack tube to end, see what you find. Replacing the whole thing may not be needed. Doing the top part is really tricky.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.