Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have experience with 914rubber sear bolsters?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sm914650
Seat***
Have some normal rips where bolster corners off on both seats. Thinking of ordering the bolsters from 914rubber. Anyone have any experience installing these? Wondering what the process is, and whether I need to reupholster them to the seat or just fit them in. Havnt been able to get an answer as of yet.
mepstein
I did them a couple months ago. Good product. I used weldwood contact cement and a heat gun. It takes longer than you expect but came out nice.
bbrock
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=900796

I have a few additional details from my experience starting here
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2684884
914werke
what about the match to the OE vinyl grain /pattern?
ConeDodger
Yup...
mepstein
QUOTE(914werke @ Jul 21 2019, 11:00 AM) *

what about the match to the OE vinyl grain /pattern?

Very close. A little smoother and shinier.
iankarr
agree.gif
The biggest differerence is that OEM is thicker. The slightly thinner gauge of the 914Rubber material means you need to pay a little more attention to the smoothness of the foam underneath, and how it wraps around the back of the headrest. I ended up using 1/8 inch closed foam on top of the existing, and used an upholstery needle and thread to tighten the headrest area up.

I did my driver's side (which was ripped) and didn't end up needing to do the passenger side (which was perfect) since the match was so close. No one has ever noticed...
914werke
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jul 21 2019, 10:28 AM) *
agree.gif The biggest differerence is that OEM is thicker. I did my driver's side (which was ripped) and didn't end up needing to do the passenger side (which was perfect) since the match was so close. No one has ever noticed...

I thought it was single piece already sewn together? both bolsters & back confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(914werke @ Jul 22 2019, 01:26 PM) *

agree.gif The biggest differerence is that OEM is thicker. I did my driver's side (which was ripped) and didn't end up needing to do the passenger side (which was perfect) since the match was so close. No one has ever noticed...

I thought it was single piece already sewn together? both bolsters & back confused24.gif

It is. I think he was talking driver seat/passenger seat.

The big thing I learned with upholstery is it takes time. Prep, glue drying and the little details. Don't say, I'm going to do it this weekend, Say, I'll keep working on it until it's done.

iankarr

Yep. The bolsters and back are one piece. I was just saying that because the material is thinner, it needs a little more finessing than OEM. After nearly 50 years, the lower bolsters on mine definitely needed additional foam to fill out the new cover.

I also agree with Mark. Definitely doable as a DIY, but you need time.
mepstein
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jul 22 2019, 05:02 PM) *

Yep. The bolsters and back are one piece. I was just saying that because the material is thinner, it needs a little more finessing than OEM. After nearly 50 years, the lower bolsters on mine definitely needed additional foam to fill out the new cover.

I also agree with Mark. Definitely doable as a DIY, but you need time.

I didn't need more foam but I did heat up the vinyl and do a lot of stretching.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.