Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ideas on vetting a gearbox before it’s installed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
One of the 2 L engines I bought came with a side shift transmission. This transmission was properly attach the engine and had the new looking but with surface corrosion from sitting fly wheel and clutch/pressure rate set up I posted separately.

So checking the oil condition and shift action both seem like obvious checks, but short of opening it up is there anything else I should be thinking about so I don’t burn the time installing a box that needs attention?

Thanks!
mepstein
Only way is to pull the stack. Dr Evil has instructions in his signature. I think it just takes a 13mm to get to it.

Moving the gearshift means nothing. The insides could still be trash.
Tdskip
Hi - thanks for the note, hope you had a good weekend.

Pulling the rear cover off is pretty easy, true. That would let me look at the gear teeth and sliders etc. Seals should be done anyway I suppose.
porschetub
No..or atleast the Doc said that,mine is not good and have found replacement one in my country but it has no history and is rather expensive.
76-914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jul 22 2019, 09:53 AM) *

Pulling the rear cover off is pretty easy, true. That would let me look at the gear teeth and sliders etc. Seals should be done anyway I suppose.

Might want to get a blanket under it to catch the the loose parts once you remove the rear cover. It's been about 7 years but I remember a stack of washers or bearing that will fall out. Heavy grease holds them in place when you reinstall the cover. idea.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 22 2019, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jul 22 2019, 09:53 AM) *

Might want to get a blanket under it to catch the the loose parts once you remove the rear cover. It's been about 7 years but I remember a stack of washers or bearing that will fall out. Heavy grease holds them in place when you reinstall the cover. idea.gif

Good tip! Been there, dropped those.

It’s ok to use grease to hold them in place upon reassembly?
gms
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jul 22 2019, 10:42 AM) *

One of the 2 L engines I bought came with a side shift transmission. This transmission was properly attach the engine and had the new looking but with surface corrosion from sitting fly wheel and clutch/pressure rate set up I posted separately.

So checking the oil condition and shift action both seem like obvious checks, but short of opening it up is there anything else I should be thinking about so I don’t burn the time installing a box that needs attention?

Thanks!

You cannot determine the level of wear on the dog teeth and syncros by just shifting a transaxle out of the car. I highly recommend opening it up before installing in a car, it requires minimal disassembly to inspect the gear stacks.
VaccaRabite
Do you have a running car? If so bolt it up and see if it runs. You can pull and replace a transmission in an afternoon easy. Especially if the gear oil is not full of metal flake, chances are its okay in the short run.

If it makes bad noises its bad, and needs to be rebuilt anyway... If not, happy motoring.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.