Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hot weather driving
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
Is there a rule of thumb as to the most efficient way to drive during the summer in order to keep things as cool as possible back in the engine bay?

For example, is it better to keep the RMPs slightly higher to keep the fan pushing more air or is better to keep RPMs lower to keep the engine from generating more heat. If you can follow that logic. screwy.gif
TravisNeff
You need to drive with the engine off and have someone push you.

It's nice to hop into the car first thing in the morning and before you even start it, it is halfway to being fully warmed up

laugh.gif
MoveQik
Yeah, I've noticed it never gets too hot rolling down the driveway.
TravisNeff
I'll soon have the kids in shape enough to push me at full sprint and even make the engine noises for me. A couple of moutain dew's and I can go for 20 miles. Cheaper than gas!

I think that if you lug the engine down you will create more heat, as well if you are revving the piss out of the engine. 2800 to 3500!?!? I really dunno.
jasons
I am of the opinion you should keep the R's up so the fan spins and keeps air circulating.
redshift
Stop and go? NEVER going to be happy...

Idle is rough, but long periods of idle, after holding 3000 in second don't seem much better.

M
Rand
RPMs affect different things. Move more air, cool the heads... but also create more friction that heats the oil more. Yada yada.

The way to KNOW is to have good accurate gauges for oil and head temp. If something starts pushing red then you can address it.

airsix
My understanding is the typeIV fan cavitates at higher RPM's and actually moves LESS air when you spin it fast. Higher road speeds = higher head temps. The only way to know for sure what's going on is to use oil and head temp gauges. Hopefully the wise ones (John Larson and Jake Raby) will join this thread.

-Ben M.

ps- didn't mean to imply that others here aren't wise. wink.gif
BMartin914
The faster I spin that engine, the cooler the heads are. Exactly the opposite for the oil. Double-edged sword.

Never saw head temps above 300* at this past weekend's track event. Oil temps however approached 260* dry.gif
nebreitling
i believe that i recall someone *wise* once saying that maximum effeciency of the fan is at 4600 rpm. but cruise at 4600 rpm and you'll be cooking your oil on most engines (w/ out an extra oil cooler).

certainly, never cruise at less than 3000 rpm. 3200-3600 seems to be a nice balance to me.

in any case, i would rather change the oil a little more often and run cooler head temps.
MoveQik
Thanks for the info. Sounds like good gaugees are in order. Any recommendations?
LukeD
I have a VDO Cht in the console and a calibrated, Numerical oil temp VD0 were the e-bralie light used to be. try Palo Alto Speedo do a Google for the website. After having them and Seeing how they react to different situations I wouldn't feel comfortable driving without them.

Luke
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.