Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vehicle Location Number
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Is there a VIN stamped in the trunk somewhere? If so, what is the location?
SirAndy
The VIN is stamped on top of the passenger side fender (inside the front trunk). The chassis number is stamped in the rear trunk.

VIN locations:
www.914world.com/bbs2/sources/action_public/pop_helpvin.html

Chassis Number locations:
www.914world.com/bbs2/sources/action_public/pop_helpchassis.html

smile.gif
rgalla9146
Hi Andy
May I suggest ?
Two additions are necessary in your chassis reference photos.
914 6 chassis numbers are stamped into the center of the rear trunk floor in front of
the latch receiver.
The Karmann ID tag on a 914 6 drivers hinge post has only the color info stamped
into it. Unlike the 4 cyl. cars, no chassis number is stamped in.
Rory
SirAndy
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 1 2019, 11:08 AM) *

914 6 chassis numbers are stamped into the center of the rear trunk floor in front of
the latch receiver.

I do mention the center location on early cars (not just /6s), i'll add your pic for reference.

I also mention that the Karmann plate only has a chassis number for /4 cars but maybe i should make this more clear and explicitly state that the /6 cars do not have it on the plate.

beerchug.gif

DickSteinkamp
9/75 assembled. 76MY.

Thanks to SirAndy, I found all my VIN/body numbers EXCEPT the one in the trunk...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Original paint. No rust. Am I looking in the wrong area?

914Sixer
Fourth pictures is chassis number. Late 74 and all 75,76 have the tag in the front trunk, NO number in the rear trunk. Notice it is the same as the Karman door tag. As an added bonus, most dash metal frames will have chassis number on it too. Adding pictures from a July 1974 car.
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 2 2019, 05:34 PM) *

Late 74 and all 75,76 have the tag in the front trunk, NO number in the rear trunk.

Thanks!

Just to clarify, am I reading this by SirAndy incorrectly, or does it need correction, or is there a difference of opinion on wether later cars had the chassis number stamped in the trunk?

The Chassis Number is stamped into your rear trunk floor, either in front of the rear trunk lock (early cars) or to the right of it (later models), in front of the passenger side tail-light.

Need Help Finding Your Chassis Number?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.