Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone recognize this swaybar set up?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Look familiar to anyone? Clearly aftermarket.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Well not H&H which they crudely resemble I actually do not remember the old 914 sway bar makers other than weltmeister (totally different looking) Pacesetter (totally different looking and different mounting) and H&H (a very nice bar)

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 3 2019, 07:18 AM) *

Thanks!
Tdskip
Good morning, thanks for the response.

Seems like they should work OK, just curious if anyone knows what they are.

Hope the construction work is going OK down there.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 3 2019, 07:18 AM) *

Thanks!

Click to view attachment

Homemade?
sixnotfour
unkl Al,,,,made some for meaney racing in the 80s....first one ive seen..

914forme
Looks like an H&H copy or could be some of their later stuff. Traditional H&H looks very similar but just better details.

I should have some pictures of the H&H setup in the 914-6 thread below.

Pulled this from the thread for reference, you can see the difference. I trued up the holes, milling machine curly queues took a bit of the paint off each hole. I'll clean that up latter.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Think it will work ok?

Let me see if I can get a picture of this on next to what I think is a H&H one.

Thanks, and hope everyone is having a good weekend.

914Sixer
Going to have to go with home built. Don't see any reason it will not work. Critical question is the diameter of the bar.
rhodyguy
And do stock bar bushing work with it?
Tdskip
Looks like 19mm. Bushings with it are good where it passes through the body, replacing them if/when needed would take detective work I suppose.
914forme
If you have a lathe or access to one you can make the bushing out of what ever material you wish. Just remember check your material some off gas when machined and it is not a very pleasant way to die, or get sick.

You could even key a bushing out of Oilite or Oilite plus bronze, for a decent solid bearing.
Tdskip
QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 4 2019, 07:00 PM) *

If you have a lathe or access to one you can make the bushing out of what ever material you wish. Just remember check your material some off gas when machined and it is not a very pleasant way to die, or get sick.

You could even key a bushing out of Oilite or Oilite plus bronze, for a decent solid bearing.

Yikes, thanks for the heads up.
sixnotfour
check the rod ends for slop. the chatter will drive even more crazy...than me...haha
gandalf_025
Found this on another site and cleaned it up a little.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Thanks - that sure looks familiar.
maf914
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Aug 5 2019, 05:40 AM) *

Found this on another site and cleaned it up a little.

I bought H&H sway bars and have the original copy of the H&H installation instructions including that diagram. This was old school printing. Blue/purple mimeograph on yellow paper. Hard to make decent photo copies from it.

This was from 1979. The front H&H 19mm sway bar kit was $85 and the rear 16mm kit was $62. Shipping was $6. laugh.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 3 2019, 03:11 PM) *

Think it will work ok?

Depending on the tire and front end setup that may work well on a -6.

For a -4 I'd think that size bar is too much. Just my opinion about "will it work".

The stock bar diameter is just fine on a -4 from my experience.
Tdskip
QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 6 2019, 12:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 3 2019, 03:11 PM) *

Think it will work ok?

Depending on the tire and front end setup that may work well on a -6.

For a -4 I'd think that size bar is too much. Just my opinion about "will it work".

The stock bar diameter is just fine on a -4 from my experience.

Hi Rob, thanks for the response. I've seen cars ruined by making them overly stiff in how they handle, thanks for raising the consideration.
maf914
QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 6 2019, 09:21 AM) *

For aftermarket sway bars, 19mm was a fairly common size. Weltmeister and H&H both offered 19mm bars and also had 22mm bars as well. Tarett currently offers 19mm and 22mm bars. These bars all have adjustable sway bar arms (Lever arms) which allow the roll stiffness to be altered.

My car initially had no sway bars. I added H&H sway bars, 19mm front and 16mm rear, and in my opinion, they greatly improved the handling.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.