Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Homestead race fun
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gereed75
Woo hooo. These things happen so fast there is little butt clinching at the time, just post event adrenaline surge! Yikes!
gereed75
fat Finger DP
Superhawk996
rolleyes.gif That funny only because it wasn't me!

Good save from what could have been a total loss! piratenanner.gif Apparently 914 windshield not designed for 100 MPH in reverse! happy11.gif Hopefully suspension is OK!

Looked like you got some serious cowl flex that might have let trim come off and then wind got under a lip?

Was it recently installed? Butyl tape or Urethane?

Once told by our SCCA World Challenge champion driver that there are 3 types of crashes in racing:
1) The crew is going to be mad cleaning the grass, mud or gravel off the car.
2) The crew is going to be P*!!&d repairing the damage to the car.
3) Oh S*** this is going to hurt!
johnhora
just what windshield clips try to help prevent....usually
lots of air pressure there when traveling backwards at speed
glad nothing else happened during that excursion
smile.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
I was in disbelief at first. Glad the e30 driver counted on me coming back on track.
Plan on making some tabs to hold it in and I also don't plan on going backwards at 100mph again!

I did touch the wall. nothing serious. You can hear when it happens in the video.

The windshield has been in the car since I owned it. Never thought about it coming out. WTF.gif
Krieger
Wow, yeah, shit happens fast at the track. Glad your okay. I hope the hit was minor.
Jetsetsurfshop
Thinking this will buff out. smash.gif
falcor75
Wow with how quick it came out I thought you had to be running without a rear screen so the reverse airflow pushed it out rather than it being sucked out....
Krieger
Not too bad! Sound worse on the video.
Garland
Bought a 914 that had been sitting under a leaking hoist, had some hydraulic fluid on the top and windshield. After putting it on the flatbed backwards, we hit the freeway. After a few minutes at freeway speed I dodged to the left to avoid the flying windshield that the butyl had failed due to the hydraulic fluid soaking the seal. I watch that good original windshield smashed to bits on the side of the freeway.
Jetsetsurfshop
New windshield installed. Thanks to 914Rubber for the new seal. beerchug.gif
SirAndy
Add some metal tabs. Not only do they work, they look cool too ...
biggrin.gif
Chi-town
Was the one that flew out put in with butyle or urethane?
Jetsetsurfshop
Not sure what was used last time. It wasn't in there very good. The guys that installed it this time used urethane.
Will be making some tabs too.
yeahmag
Looked like a bit too much curb and maybe a lift that caused the spin?
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Aug 28 2019, 10:30 AM) *

Looked like a bit too much curb and maybe a lift that caused the spin?

Pretty sure I didn't lift. I was determined to get around that E30. I've hit that spot plenty of times just not from that lower attack angle. When I look over video of me at that corner my car always seems to be a little upset. Lesson learned.
yeahmag
What are your rear spring rates? Got an LSD in the car?
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Aug 28 2019, 12:41 PM) *

What are your rear spring rates? Got an LSD in the car?

Rear springs are 225 and its currently an open diff.
Like to hear your opinion. After this happened I thought a more compliant spring would be better.
yeahmag
Just the opposite. I’d suggest going up to a minimum of 300lbs. All of my strange oversteer issues went away then. I may move up to 400lb or higher. What are you running up front?
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Aug 28 2019, 02:43 PM) *

Just the opposite. I’d suggest going up to a minimum of 300lbs. All of my strange oversteer issues went away then. I may move up to 400lb or higher. What are you running up front?

23mm bars. I still have a rear sway bar. Thought about disconnecting it for a stint.
yeahmag
Oh yeah. You are setup way to soft in the rear. I have a set of 275s you can have for cheap, but I think you want no bar and 300lbs or more.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Aug 28 2019, 05:12 PM) *

Oh yeah. You are setup way to soft in the rear. I have a set of 275s you can have for cheap, but I think you want no bar and 300lbs or more.

I was looking at my invoice for Elephant racing and trying to figure this out. My springs are 10x2.5 and it looks like the max spring option is 300lbs.
The 9x2.25 goes all the way up to 800lbs.
I'm going to call Chuck today and see what up.
May be interested in your springs if they fit my car Lets me see what chuck says.
beerchug.gif
yeahmag
I run a 8"x2.5" (Eibach) on my car. Any choice you want in spring rate there... The 2.25" springs while lighter, require a specific collar at the least.
pete000
That's why the race cars use hold down clips !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.