Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any tips on setting up a Hex bar for dual Webers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Hi guys - I'm going to swap out the giant single Weber that is currently on the aka Turbo car for two properly sized Webers soon and I wanted to ask if there are any tips / techniques etc for getting the hex part set up properly.

It doesn't look that complicated but the searching I've don't suggests there is some heartburn that some people encounter.

Thanks!
ConeDodger
Call @McMark . He has very accurate linkage that synchs easily. Hex bar is junk for tuning and carbs are hard enough!
Carl La Fong
With all due respect to McMark and Cone Dodger, I have used a hex bar set up for the past 14 years with great success. Set up properly, as mine are, both throttles open simultaneously, reach WOT at the same time with NO play in the linkage at all. Linkage geometry is the same on both carbs. McMark makes great stuff but if you already have the hex bar, it can be made to work just fine. smile.gif .
Tdskip
I already have all the bits, so would like to make what I have work (please).
Mark Henry
But I can tell you that's a lousy set up because the drop links are not square to the throttle shafts. wink.gif
sixnotfour
http://www.empius.com/Instructions/99-4428-0.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2hkBh4nkTM

the newer version has stand offs to make arms straighter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2hkBh4nkTM

Tdskip
Thanks for the instructions @sixnotfour

Very helpful.
michael7810
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Aug 15 2019, 12:18 PM) *

With all due respect to McMark and Cone Dodger, I have used a hex bar set up for the past 14 years with great success. Set up properly, as mine are, both throttles open simultaneously, reach WOT at the same time with NO play in the linkage at all. Linkage geometry is the same on both carbs. McMark makes great stuff but if you already have the hex bar, it can be made to work just fine. smile.gif .

I agree with Ellyut I mean Carl
johnhora
Tdskip...
please take a pic of what you have it will help us see what you are dealing with
both systems will work..it takes time on each...I've used and tuned both
and if you already have the parts why not give them a try and save some money right
as you probably know the problem with boxer engine is the offset of the intake ports at the heads...
thus the carbs are not directly across from each other and the crossbar and other linkage arrangements have to compensate for this angle.
this same problem has plagued the VW hotrods for ages way before type 4 engines
some have created offset intake manifolds and air cleaners with offset bracket post...
CB Performance comes to mind on these...they've making some nice stuff for ever.
the thing on the crossbar is it works best if it's straight across the engine as can be...
then the drop links don't bind as much...
the real thing to tuning is to not have any linkage attached to the carbs while dialing in...then attach the linkage with as little bind as possible.
And yes you can run a engine with out any linkage attached if you have preset your carbs....just blip the carb on #1 side...it's where your going to start anyway

Probably the best book on this is the Weber Tech Manual, by Bob Tomlinson

The Key is Patience My Brother! smile.gif

Tdskip
Thanks gentlemen, will take my time and make sure they are dialed-in prior to attaching the crossbar.
Carl La Fong
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 15 2019, 02:33 PM) *

But I can tell you that's a lousy set up because the drop links are not square to the throttle shafts. wink.gif

Both throttles open at the same time at the same rate and reach WOT at exactly the same time. I know it works that way because I looked at the throttles when my wife pushed on the "pedal on the right". Nothing was working until I realized she was pushing on the brake. When she discovered where the "pedal on the right was", everything worked as I described.
rhodyguy
Buy one from Triad. For reasons too newmerous to list. When shopping, ask if the throttle cable holder is included. Be prepared to Fab up one if you go the CB route. You may have to shorten the crossbar too. I did when I bought one. The end springs suck. Dave is a member/vendor.
sixnotfour
Let us not forget ,,,,,we are cheep .....let him run what he has,,hell ...He will probably sell it....
It's good enough for where he is in the 914 world..,?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.