Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine lid will not open.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drem914
A little help please. How do I activate the release of the engine hinge? The cable pulls and has tension, but will not disengage the latch release. I have gone through my service manuals here, but none of them tell you how to get in if the lid latch won't release. headbang.gif

Some guidance from the more knowledgeable group here. pray.gif

This can't be the first time this has happened.
sb914
Try pushing on the lid while pulling the button or have someone else push down on the deck lid.
drem914
QUOTE(sb914 @ Aug 25 2019, 01:05 PM) *

Try pushing on the lid while pulling the button or have someone else push down on the deck lid.

I have done that and it worked once. I should have quit when I was ahead, because the second time it happened has put me in this predicament. headbang.gif
All I wanted to do was hook up the trickle charger and check the oil. hissyfit.gif
I am just wondering which part of the latch from the trunk do I have to push on to get the cam to release, if I am on the right track? sawzall-smiley.gif
chrisg
With trunk open, from inside of trunk push down on engine lid and push small tab on left side of latch to the right with a screwdriver. Just tried it on mine and it worked without pulling inside knob. Yours might need a bit of lube first ti free it up a little.
drem914
QUOTE(chrisg @ Aug 25 2019, 01:38 PM) *

With trunk open, from inside of trunk push down on engine lid and push small tab on left side of latch to the right with a screwdriver. Just tried it on mine and it worked without pulling inside knob. Yours might need a bit of lube first ti free it up a little.

That is what just worked. I was back into let you know thanks to all for assistance.
We all know what's next on my to-do list, latch refresh.
AZBanks
I have to give my lip a small bump with the side of my closed fist right above the latch.
I pull the release cable with my left hand and give the lid a bump with my right and it pops right open every time.

The technical term for that is "percussive maintenance". It was invented by the master motorcycle and jukebox mechanic, Arthur Fonzarelli.
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Aug 25 2019, 02:06 PM) *

I have to give my lip a small bump with the side of my closed fist right above the latch.
I pull the release cable with my left hand and give the lid a bump with my right and it pops right open every time.

The technical term for that is "percussive maintenance". It was invented by the master motorcycle and jukebox mechanic, Arthur Fonzarelli.

agree.gif

You just got to give it a little finesse. Try adjusting the grille a little that also works.

-Ed
rjames
The part on the lid that latches can be adjusted. It’s probably not aligned with the receiver (or it’s worn and needs replacing). Easy fix.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.