Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine lid will not open., lid lock will not release. What to do?
drem914
post Aug 25 2019, 02:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,062
Region Association: Southern California

A little help please. How do I activate the release of the engine hinge? The cable pulls and has tension, but will not disengage the latch release. I have gone through my service manuals here, but none of them tell you how to get in if the lid latch won't release. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Some guidance from the more knowledgeable group here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

This can't be the first time this has happened.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sb914
post Aug 25 2019, 02:05 PM
Post #2

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

Try pushing on the lid while pulling the button or have someone else push down on the deck lid.
+Quote Post
drem914
post Aug 25 2019, 02:26 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(sb914 @ Aug 25 2019, 01:05 PM) *

Try pushing on the lid while pulling the button or have someone else push down on the deck lid.

I have done that and it worked once. I should have quit when I was ahead, because the second time it happened has put me in this predicament. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
All I wanted to do was hook up the trickle charger and check the oil. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
I am just wondering which part of the latch from the trunk do I have to push on to get the cam to release, if I am on the right track? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
chrisg
post Aug 25 2019, 02:38 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,455
Region Association: None

With trunk open, from inside of trunk push down on engine lid and push small tab on left side of latch to the right with a screwdriver. Just tried it on mine and it worked without pulling inside knob. Yours might need a bit of lube first ti free it up a little.
+Quote Post
drem914
post Aug 25 2019, 02:51 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(chrisg @ Aug 25 2019, 01:38 PM) *

With trunk open, from inside of trunk push down on engine lid and push small tab on left side of latch to the right with a screwdriver. Just tried it on mine and it worked without pulling inside knob. Yours might need a bit of lube first ti free it up a little.

That is what just worked. I was back into let you know thanks to all for assistance.
We all know what's next on my to-do list, latch refresh.
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Aug 25 2019, 03:06 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have to give my lip a small bump with the side of my closed fist right above the latch.
I pull the release cable with my left hand and give the lid a bump with my right and it pops right open every time.

The technical term for that is "percussive maintenance". It was invented by the master motorcycle and jukebox mechanic, Arthur Fonzarelli.
+Quote Post
Ed_Turbo
post Aug 25 2019, 03:10 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 21,151

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Aug 25 2019, 02:06 PM) *

I have to give my lip a small bump with the side of my closed fist right above the latch.
I pull the release cable with my left hand and give the lid a bump with my right and it pops right open every time.

The technical term for that is "percussive maintenance". It was invented by the master motorcycle and jukebox mechanic, Arthur Fonzarelli.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

You just got to give it a little finesse. Try adjusting the grille a little that also works.

-Ed
+Quote Post
rjames
post Aug 26 2019, 01:25 AM
Post #8

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The part on the lid that latches can be adjusted. It’s probably not aligned with the receiver (or it’s worn and needs replacing). Easy fix.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:52 AM