Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lock rekey part source?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
I need the wafers and springs to rekey some locks. Besides Tweet/Dan, does anyone know where to get the parts? Specifically the wafers and springs. Some people call the wafers pins. I have not been able to find a source and I'd like new parts, not used from cores. Thanks
dr914@autoatlanta.com
is this guy still around?

tweet post Apr 12 2013, 10:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,579
Region Association: South East States

These are brand new brass tumblers and copper springs for 914 and 911. Finally have one set of keys to open all of your locks. This is way cheaper than having a Porsche dealer cut you a key. (I called a Porsche dealer; they said $83.00 to duplicate one master key and $200 to order one by VIN.)

You will receive the following in each set ordered:

#1 Tumblers - four each
#2 Tumblers - four each
#3 Tumblers - four each
#4 Tumblers - four each
10 new springs

#5 Tumbler not included; reuse your own, it is found in your secondary locks (glove box, front trunk, rear trunk) for use with a master key.

Also included (not in picture, but is included in first set only; you only need one) :
1 new pair of tweezers
1 plastic container (so you can find your tumblers the next time you need to re-key a lock)

Each set is $37.95 shipped to your door. (CONUS) This is a discounted price for forum members from my Ebay shipped price of $44.95 - 15% off.

Paypal to TYPE4PLUS@gmail.com
money order
check

If you need individual Tumblers ($3.50 each shipped) Springs (5 for 3.50 shipped).

These are from a reputable source, from an American supplier.

Remember you can still reuse your old tumbler pins that don't need to be changed or keep them as spares. You should have left overs for future locks.

References on re-keying lock cylinders:

MarkB's article, here on 914 world.
http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php

How to: Repair or re-key door locks
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3496179

Rekeying Porsche Locks
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/m..._lock_rekey.htm

This is a youtube video of of two styles of ignition locks being removed from a mid 70's beetle. This ignition is like the one on a 914. The process is basically the same as for our cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rB3KYA3Xpw

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Tweets Restorations, for all of your key and lock needs.
DRROCKETDAN@gmail.com
eBay stores:

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 27 2019, 01:50 PM) *

I need the wafers and springs to rekey some locks. Besides Tweet/Dan, does anyone know where to get the parts? Specifically the wafers and springs. Some people call the wafers pins. I have not been able to find a source and I'd like new parts, not used from cores. Thanks
mepstein
I don't want to talk bad about Dan since he's treated me well but lately there have been a fair amount of people with issues. I don't think he's been available or responding to inquiries so I'm hoping to find a different source for parts. I'm sure he got them from a supplier, I just can't seem to track one down.
mb911
I think tru-6 can do it now..
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 27 2019, 06:02 PM) *

I think tru-6 can do it now..

I’ll reach out to Shawn but I’m just looking for the wafers and springs. The rest is easy.
914_7T3

@mepstein

I bought from this guy "rocketdan" on Ebay, but he is out of stock.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-911-91...Y-/262744210027

I would message him through EBay to see if he is getting more in stock.
914Sixer
Rocketdan is the same person as Tweet/Dan
914_7T3
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 27 2019, 05:48 PM) *

Rocketdan is the same person as Tweet/Dan

Oops, so not very helpful then.................
simonjb
I got my parts for my 1971 911 from a guy in Australia. Keys4Classics.com. Was very good. Stay away from Dan/tweets. I never got my original door handles and locks back.....
Rand
Check with Curt / Cabinetmaker here. He does this.
mepstein
Thanks guys beerchug.gif
Rob-O
Do you know which wafers you need? I think they’re labeled 1-4 (but I’m pretty sure there is actually a ‘0’ too). I’ve got a bunch of springs and wafers in bags. PM me and I’ll get what you need in the mail. Heading to the post office tomorrow to send off my sun visors for the 914Rubber GB.
FlacaProductions
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 24 2019, 06:43 PM) *

Check with Curt / Cabinetmaker here. He does this.

@TheCabinetmaker
"Curt Curtis. 914 locks, repaired, refurbished, and rekeyed"
mepstein
Thanks. I pretty much figured out how to do it. I just was wondering where to get supplies.

I do have to figure out how to read the keys, or find someone local, so I can get some new ones made with the correct code without just copying the old ones.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
this guy?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Refill-Pack-For-ES...m4383.l4275.c10

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 25 2019, 09:09 AM) *

Thanks. I pretty much figured out how to do it. I just was wondering where to get supplies.

I do have to figure out how to read the keys, or find someone local, so I can get some new ones made with the correct code without just copying the old ones.
mepstein
I reached out to him and he confirmed what he states in the description.
“These wafers will not work in Auto locks”

It’s cheap enough to buy and try but ....

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 25 2019, 12:29 PM) *

this guy?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Refill-Pack-For-ES...m4383.l4275.c10

914Sixer
Don't go with VW wafers either, they are a different thickness.
fiacra

I asked this question on another thread and the answer I got was that the key code will simply be the sequence of wafer numbers. Have to admit that I don't know if the number is stamped on the wafers, but if you can figure out which number wafers you have and what order they are in then you should have the key code. Anybody able to confirm that?
mepstein
QUOTE(fiacra @ Sep 26 2019, 06:58 PM) *

I asked this question on another thread and the answer I got was that the key code will simply be the sequence of wafer numbers. Have to admit that I don't know if the number is stamped on the wafers, but if you can figure out which number wafers you have and what order they are in then you should have the key code. Anybody able to confirm that?

That was my guess. Only some of the #2 keys are marked but I measured and recorded the different sizes. I’m not sure from which end you start the code but I’ll ask the mobile locksmith that comes to our shop.
type2man
If you have extra wafers but do not have the correct numbers, you can file down the wafers to make them work. You can either file the by hand, or install the key and file the excess to make it work in the cylinder.
mepstein
QUOTE(type2man @ Sep 26 2019, 08:07 PM) *

If you have extra wafers but do not have the correct numbers, you can file down the wafers to make them work. You can either file the by hand, or install the key and file the excess to make it work in the cylinder.

That works but is the wrong way to do it.
914forme
Do you have a complete set of wafers? They could be reverse engineered, get the sheet in the proper thickness and just run them through a water jet, or laser cutter.
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 26 2019, 08:30 PM) *

Do you have a complete set of wafers? They could be reverse engineered, get the sheet in the proper thickness and just run them through a water jet, or laser cutter.

I like that idea but I only needed a couple. If someone does want to do it, I now have new ones to copy. I believe they are the same as 911 wafers. Seems like a no-brainer for 914rubber. @mikey914
Mikey914
Ok,
Tweet has mentioned that he wants these also, so yes I will do these.
Mark
simonjb
I thought this might help others. Stupidly I sent my locks and only key to Tweets/Dan who never returned them. So I found some new door locks and wanted to align everything to the same key code. I removed the ignition tumbler and the wafers and emailed a picture of my wafers from the ignition in the correct order. See picture for sequence.

They decoded the wafers from the emailed picture and sent me back the correct Porsche key code (HPXXX to protect the innocent) along with new wafers and the correct sequence plus 3 new keys. This is for a 911, but I am sure its the same process

Make sure key is in when you pull out the Tumbler
Then remove and pull out existing wafers
I have shown how the numbering sequence works

If I ever need a new key I now have the correct Porsche code

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
simonjb
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
simonjb
You can see the small springs and also the wafer number number on the wafer.
Rob-O
QUOTE(type2man @ Sep 26 2019, 04:07 PM) *

Or just leave that wafer out.
914Sixer
Please BEWARE NOT ALL Locks have Numbered wafers
mepstein
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 5 2019, 07:20 PM) *

Please BEWARE NOT ALL Locks have Numbered wafers

agree.gif almost none of mine were numbered so I measured the lower tab on each one and posted it on my pic. With the measurements, you can easily measure them yourself and put them in numbered containers.
aharder
So I went and looked in my key stuff and I found one of these.
As you can see, I measure 1 side and it measures as a 4, the other measure as a 3.
Who can tell us what this one is? I have 2 on them in my stash.

Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(aharder @ Oct 5 2019, 06:32 PM) *

As you can see, I measure 1 side and it measures as a 4, the other measure as a 3.

Click to view attachment

That's a valet wafer. There should be one of those in each trunk lock and the glove box lock. It doesn't matter what position it goes in. It just replaces any random wafer. With the valet wafer in place, the black key will open the lock but the red (valet) key will not.
914forme
If doing the production run you could laser etch the number in. At least it would help you when you get them mixed up before assembly. Depending on the wear location, it might not be there when you disassemble hopefully never.

the numbers in the pictures look struck, and I am guessing from the small raised section, the tolerances are not that critical.

I would not want to be the poor soul who struck each one of those day in day out. screwy.gif

I would just use a markzalls and be done biggrin.gif
Rob-O
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 5 2019, 04:44 PM) *

QUOTE(aharder @ Oct 5 2019, 06:32 PM) *

Click to view attachment

That's a valet wafer. There should be one of those in each trunk lock and the glove box lock. It doesn't matter what position it goes in. It just replaces any random wafer. With the valet wafer in place, the black key will open the lock but the red (valet) key will not.

agree.gif
That’s exactly what that is.
frostyf
Hi All,
Not sure if 914 Rubber is going ahead with a run of the wafers? I'm trying to redo my barrels as my key only turns the ignition barrel. I must have replaced barrels (or complete doors) on my car and on the valet locks in the Front trunk pull and glovebox lock.

After looking at an add on Parts Geek for new fuel tanks (was in the garage section) I spotted they also sell replacement ignition switches with two keys. Does anyone know if these have the same wafers in them and whether I might get enough spare wafers to sort out my existing barrels if I buy one - they're selling for either $12.95 (part no 17030-02554631) or a Febi/Bilstein one at $14.98 (part no W0133-1635820).

Does anyone know if they're the same size as the wafers in the originals - wonder whether to take a punt and buy one to try it out.

frostyf
QUOTE(simonjb @ Oct 5 2019, 04:14 PM) *

I thought this might help others. Stupidly I sent my locks and only key to Tweets/Dan who never returned them. So I found some new door locks and wanted to align everything to the same key code. I removed the ignition tumbler and the wafers and emailed a picture of my wafers from the ignition in the correct order. See picture for sequence.

They decoded the wafers from the emailed picture and sent me back the correct Porsche key code (HPXXX to protect the innocent) along with new wafers and the correct sequence plus 3 new keys. This is for a 911, but I am sure its the same process

Make sure key is in when you pull out the Tumbler
Then remove and pull out existing wafers
I have shown how the numbering sequence works

If I ever need a new key I now have the correct Porsche code

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Hi,
What was the cost for the new wafers/tumblers?? I spotted further down the company Keys4Classics.com. Do you know if the wafers are the same as the original Porsche ones (in terms of thickness)??

914Sixer
Hard to say about replacement ignition lock wafers. VW and Porsche early wafers are NOT interchangeable.
TheCabinetmaker
914 and 911 share the same wafers. Vw wafers will not work. Too big. The kits shown on the eBay post appear to be the proper wafers. You might need to file the wafers if you have an old worn out key. I try to use a new cut key for rekeying. Not all wafers are marked. My service includes complete disassembly, cleaning, replacement of questionable or worn parts, and proper non oil based lubrication.
frostyf
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Nov 22 2019, 02:34 PM) *

914 and 911 share the same wafers. Vw wafers will not work. Too big. The kits shown on the eBay post appear to be the proper wafers. You might need to file the wafers if you have an old worn out key. I try to use a new cut key for rekeying. Not all wafers are marked. My service includes complete disassembly, cleaning, replacement of questionable or worn parts, and proper non oil based lubrication.

Hi Curtis,
I've sussed out my wafer coding and wanted to ask how much you charge for your services. Will check to see if you're in the vendors forum now.

I'd like to try and do this myself but its getting hands on some spare wafers. At the minute I need a no 4 but also need to check my other lock barrels.

Thanks,
Nick
TheCabinetmaker
Pm sent, Nick
Mark Henry
I'm doing a 914 six left hand key mod for my /6 conversion someday, I have a 911 ignition switch (964 part #) but no key. I see how to do it in this thread http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php
My question is can the tumbler be removed without the key?

Also I have the twins, I have two matching 914's, I was thinking about matching both cars the same so I only have one key for both cars. Good idea or not?
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 26 2019, 09:40 AM) *

I'm doing a 914 six left hand key mod for my /6 conversion someday, I have a 911 ignition switch (964 part #) but no key. I see how to do it in this thread http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php
My question is can the tumbler be removed without the key?

Also I have the twins, I have two matching 914's, I was thinking about matching both cars the same so I only have one key for both cars. Good idea or not?

I’m pretty sure you can use any key to remove and reinstall the tumblers, the incorrect key won’t allow it to turn to the run or open position.
I have 5 - 914’s and I’m slowly working them towards all one key. I have found every lock to be gummed up inside so I figure I might as well make the change while I service the lock.
NoFeO
Hello George,

How may I purchase the kit you described?

Thanks.

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 27 2019, 02:45 PM) *

is this guy still around?

tweet post Apr 12 2013, 10:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,579
Region Association: South East States

These are brand new brass tumblers and copper springs for 914 and 911. Finally have one set of keys to open all of your locks. This is way cheaper than having a Porsche dealer cut you a key. (I called a Porsche dealer; they said $83.00 to duplicate one master key and $200 to order one by VIN.)

You will receive the following in each set ordered:

#1 Tumblers - four each
#2 Tumblers - four each
#3 Tumblers - four each
#4 Tumblers - four each
10 new springs

#5 Tumbler not included; reuse your own, it is found in your secondary locks (glove box, front trunk, rear trunk) for use with a master key.

Also included (not in picture, but is included in first set only; you only need one) :
1 new pair of tweezers
1 plastic container (so you can find your tumblers the next time you need to re-key a lock)

Each set is $37.95 shipped to your door. (CONUS) This is a discounted price for forum members from my Ebay shipped price of $44.95 - 15% off.

Paypal to TYPE4PLUS@gmail.com
money order
check

If you need individual Tumblers ($3.50 each shipped) Springs (5 for 3.50 shipped).

These are from a reputable source, from an American supplier.

Remember you can still reuse your old tumbler pins that don't need to be changed or keep them as spares. You should have left overs for future locks.

References on re-keying lock cylinders:

MarkB's article, here on 914 world.
http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php

How to: Repair or re-key door locks
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3496179

Rekeying Porsche Locks
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/m..._lock_rekey.htm

This is a youtube video of of two styles of ignition locks being removed from a mid 70's beetle. This ignition is like the one on a 914. The process is basically the same as for our cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rB3KYA3Xpw

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Tweets Restorations, for all of your key and lock needs.
DRROCKETDAN@gmail.com
eBay stores:

GregAmy
Our current go-to for locks and re-keying is @TheCabinetmaker . Did me a solid last month.
mepstein
QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 4 2022, 07:54 AM) *

Our current go-to for locks and re-keying is @The_Cabinetmaker. Did me a solid last month.

agree.gif Curt is great. Tweet flew the coop.
eric9144
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 4 2022, 05:40 AM) *

QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 4 2022, 07:54 AM) *

Our current go-to for locks and re-keying is @The_Cabinetmaker. Did me a solid last month.

agree.gif Curt is great. Tweet flew the coop.

agree.gif I'll third that, just got done swapping all my locks with locks that Curt did and they're perfect, finally *one key* biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Curt is in the house! All your lock needs in one place.

914locks.com, or pm me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.