Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need New Cooling Fan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Str1974
I'm making process with my new 914 (almost a year old now). Replaced many things on it, but noticed that the engine cooling fan has several fins missing or broken off. I'm looking to replace the part (#021119031). I'm not finding any new out there, says discontinued etc. Some used ones on ebay, Auto Atlanta sells used ones for $179, but I'm a little skeptical buying used unseen. Could have hairline cracks etc. Would rather get a new one for piece of mind. Seems to me the cooling fan is pretty much one of the main parts that one needs to be in almost pristine shape. Maybe I'm wrong, but the part seems to be the same for Bus engines. Are there aftermarket tuners that make a good reproduction worth buying or should a cheap used one on ebay suffice? Any thoughts and advice?

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
ConeDodger
I’ve got one taken apart in a box. I was going to rebuild it but when I turned around, someone had stuck a Carrera motor in the damned thing. PM me if you can’t find something close.
Chi-town
I have a used one with no broken blades
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Aug 30 2019, 02:05 AM) *

No issues with used fans.

These fan blades are not stressed parts and are not known for stress cracking leading to missing blades.

Most likely explanation is that someone stuck a screwdriver though the timing plug hole and tried to jamb the crank and/or turn the crank using the fan blades. That will lead to them breaking.

FYI - you'll likely find a better fan, at a better price by posting a wanted to buy ad on the parts forum.
ClayPerrine
PM me. I have a bunch of spare fans. You are welcome to one, just come get it. I will be available all weekend.

I am in Hurst, just west of DFW airport.

Clay
Tbrown4x4
Don't forget to verify the timing marks on your replacement fan. You don't want to find out they're wrong after it's all put together.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 30 2019, 09:07 AM) *

PM me. I have a bunch of spare fans. You are welcome to one, just come get it. I will be available all weekend.

Clay

Ha! Greatest forum in the world. first.gif Can't beat free and you get to meet a 914 expert in the process!
yellowporky
I bought a restored one from Bruce Stone on here
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you can get away with three blades in a row broken. Many racers break off even numbers of blades to make the fan less a drag on the engine believe it or not!!!

Finding cooling fans with no broken blades is always the problem, as owners use a screwdriver to turn the engine from the fan breaking the blades. We have not seen any cracks on the fan hubs though. Remember although the fans are all the same, the timing markings are different for 1.7, 2.0 which have zero and 27 markings, and 1.8 which only has 7 btdc marking

QUOTE(Str1974 @ Aug 29 2019, 09:59 PM) *

I'm making process with my new 914 (almost a year old now). Replaced many things on it, but noticed that the engine cooling fan has several fins missing or broken off. I'm looking to replace the part (#021119031). I'm not finding any new out there, says discontinued etc. Some used ones on ebay, Auto Atlanta sells used ones for $179, but I'm a little skeptical buying used unseen. Could have hairline cracks etc. Would rather get a new one for piece of mind. Seems to me the cooling fan is pretty much one of the main parts that one needs to be in almost pristine shape. Maybe I'm wrong, but the part seems to be the same for Bus engines. Are there aftermarket tuners that make a good reproduction worth buying or should a cheap used one on ebay suffice? Any thoughts and advice?

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Superhawk996
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 30 2019, 10:20 AM) *

you can get away with three blades in a row broken. Many racers break off even numbers of blades to make the fan less a drag on the engine believe it or not!!!

confused24.gif I guess if you're going to run an external oil cooler anyway but has anyone done the HP calculation between pumping looses (air cooling fan improvement vs. up-sized oil pump and/or pumping at higher head pressures degradation?).

I'm not going to argue with what successful racers do but I certainly wouldn't recommend that for the street. laugh.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 30 2019, 10:07 AM) *

Clay

After I posted, I noticed you were in Dallas. Clay has got you...
Str1974
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 30 2019, 12:30 AM) *

I’ve got one taken apart in a box. I was going to rebuild it but when I turned around, someone had stuck a Carrera motor in the damned thing. PM me if you can’t find something close.

Will do, thanks.
Str1974
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Aug 30 2019, 08:09 AM) *

Don't forget to verify the timing marks on your replacement fan. You don't want to find out they're wrong after it's all put together.

Good advice, thanks.
Str1974
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 30 2019, 07:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Aug 30 2019, 02:05 AM) *

No issues with used fans.

These fan blades are not stressed parts and are not known for stress cracking leading to missing blades.

Most likely explanation is that someone stuck a screwdriver though the timing plug hole and tried to jamb the crank and/or turn the crank using the fan blades. That will lead to them breaking.

FYI - you'll likely find a better fan, at a better price by posting a wanted to buy ad on the parts forum.

Great, thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.