Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any difference between 914-6 and same-year 911 dipsticks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mountainroads
on the -6 over the weekend. (Yes, car was well warmed and idling). FWIW, I find this measuring method a PITA and greatly appreciated the oil level gauge in my 911.

The stick felt funny upon reinsertion so removed it again and lo and behold, a crack ready to break was right at the upper-level dimple. Perhaps wrong, but I'm attributing this latest problem to age and metal fatigue multiple heat cycles. java script:emoticon('<_<','smid_2')

I did a little digging and there are several related threads on topic, but I couldn't find anything that stated you could substitute a similar vintage 911 dipstick, which I imagine should be easier to come by than a genuine -6 part, as long as there's no difference.

Attached picture shows my existing stick with an overall length of approximately 11 1/4 inches as measured from the inside of the stop clip, with the break at 7 1/2 inches, right at the dimple. I believe the "low" mark is right at the bottom of the stick

Knowledgeable feedback greatly appreciated. TIA

- MR
defianty
Here's a picture of a new one I have from Porsche. They're still available.

IPB Image
ClayPerrine
The dipstick for a 70 914-6 is part # 901 107 770 40 (the one in your picture)
The dipsitck for a 70 911 is part # 901 107 770 00

If I remember correctly, they are marked differently.

Your best bet is to find someone with a 911 dipstick and compare it with the 914-6.

Good Luck.
mountainroads
QUOTE(defianty @ Sep 2 2019, 01:14 PM) *

Here's a picture of a new one I have from Porsche. They're still available.

IPB Image

Thanks! I noticed the same 901 part number in other related threads, which made me wonder if it's truly teener-specific.

- MR
lalee914
When I got my /6 a LONG time ago, the dipstick had been brazed at the same location that yours is braking. It is pretty easy to insert it incorrectly into the oil tank which probably had something to do with the repair job.
mountainroads
QUOTE(lalee914 @ Sep 2 2019, 01:57 PM) *

When I got my /6 a LONG time ago, the dipstick had been brazed at the same location that yours is braking. It is pretty easy to insert it incorrectly into the oil tank which probably had something to do with the repair job.

Thanks much defianty, lalee, and Clay for the responses. Apparently still avail from multiple part sources. OEM looks the way to go, if a bit pricey for a short piece of (presumably) spring steel sad.gif

- MR
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.