Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 1.8 front screen trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dt4
Hi
Could someone advise if the front screen trim is polished stainless steel or chromed please
Mine is scratched and just wondering if is polishable
Thanks
dt4
Click to view attachment
beech4rd
QUOTE(dt4 @ Sep 3 2019, 01:57 PM) *

It's an anodized finish. You can polish it. If you do so, you will remove the anodizing and it will tarnish, requiring that you polish it again and again. It does look a lot more shiny when polished, though.
The only way to return to the original finish is usually to replace the trim with new. I believe it's still available from your local Porsche dealer.

Chris
dt4
thanks Chris, do you know if it comes out separately to the wind screen or does the glass have to come out?
mepstein
QUOTE(dt4 @ Sep 3 2019, 03:20 PM) *

thanks Chris, do you know if it comes out separately to the wind screen or does the glass have to come out?

comes out separately. Buy a trim remover and watch youtube videos on how to remove.
Chi-town
Clear anodized aluminum

You have to strip the ano before you can polish it
dt4
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 3 2019, 08:25 PM) *

QUOTE(dt4 @ Sep 3 2019, 03:20 PM) *

comes out separately. Buy a trim remover and watch youtube videos on how to remove.

i have the trim removal tools, I will track down the how to video, thanks
dt4
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Sep 3 2019, 08:29 PM) *

Clear anodized aluminum

You have to strip the ano before you can polish it

thanks Dylan
Mikey914
Basically you can wet sand and polish it. If you use a 2 stage wax with a polish sealer it will last outside for quite some time. The trick is not to deform it while polishing. A 1000 or1500 grit would be a good start finishing with a 2000.
If you need new I can help out, but looks salvageable.

dt4
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 3 2019, 09:28 PM) *

Basically you can wet sand and polish it. If you use a 2 stage wax with a polish sealer it will last outside for quite some time. The trick is not to deform it while polishing. A 1000 or1500 grit would be a good start finishing with a 2000.
If you need new I can help out, but looks salvageable.

That's really useful, thank you.
I'll give it a go.
I am building a list of the parts I need to order from you so if it goes Pete Tong I can add these to the list
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.