Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grinding as I shift to Reverse
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
The forum answered this not too long ago. But let's see if I have another issue.

So the answer back in April seemed to be that the cable was stretching when HOT. I adjusted and the grind went away. But a month later the TOB crapped out.

So, New TOB, Clutch, Pressure Plate, Seals, Cable, etc.... and today I drove home for lunch. Maybe 90* air temp, 230 Oil temp, 30 psi Oil pressure, 325 CHT. As I tried to back out of the driveway.... GRINDDDD. Every time. So I started the car with the clutch in and in reverse. Backed out and drove to work.

4 hours of cooling in the parking lot and NO GRIND for backing out of my parking spot. But similar system temps on the way home. Pulled in the garage and GRINDDD again as I test Reverse before I shut down.

You think I am dealing a heat related stretch again on this new cable?

Plan is to tighten it up a thread or two after it cools. Did I miss anything?
JawjaPorsche
New Cables will stretch some. Hope tightening will help.
malcolm2
Worked like a champ. 2 full turns on the clutch cable nut and shifting into R was much smoother, 1st too. still have pedal play. Of course I could not simulate the 90* air temp and did not take it to the interstate, but there is tomorrow for a full test.

I guess you just get used to the way thing work until it gets way out of adjustment. Truthfully I would not want to own this car if I had to take it to the shop for every little hiccup of which there are many.

And if it had not needed EVERYTHING to be replaced, I probably would be in much worse shape as a wrencher of this car.

Clark
worn
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 3 2019, 06:09 PM) *

Worked like a champ. 2 full turns on the clutch cable nut and shifting into R was much smoother, 1st too. still have pedal play. Of course I could not simulate the 90* air temp and did not take it to the interstate, but there is tomorrow for a full test.

I guess you just get used to the way thing work until it gets way out of adjustment. Truthfully I would not want to own this car if I had to take it to the shop for every little hiccup of which there are many.

And if it had not needed EVERYTHING to be replaced, I probably would be in much worse shape as a wrencher of this car.

Clark

You are not alone. Reverse seems to be the warning lamp for clutch problems. Spent much of today messing with transmission controls, clutch cable and shift linkage, today. Ended up turning a bronze bushing for the transmission console. Also reconfigured my shift bar. A lot of my troubles seem to be getting enough clutch travel while maintaining pedal free play. Drove a few blocks and everything seemeed to shift perfect. But i have heard that story before.
Larmo63
I love it when you 'hot shoe' it to a car show or cars 'n coffee and you attempt to back into the parking spot and it's gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................

Seems like those are the rules with 914s.
ndfrigi
maybe a silly question, do you have 2 nuts at the adjustment end to use as locking nut? If only 1 nut on the adjustment end cable, probably it loosens little by little. And also check your clutch tube from firewall and along the tunnel.
malcolm2
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 4 2019, 12:06 AM) *

maybe a silly question, do you have 2 nuts at the adjustment end to use as locking nut? If only 1 nut on the adjustment end cable, probably it loosens little by little. And also check your clutch tube from firewall and along the tunnel.

Yes, 2 nuts. I used 2 nylocs. I usually count the threads showing and take a picture so I know. This time I did it all without jacking up the car, so I did not have room to get a picture. But I am changing the oil this weekend, before the Banner Elk drive, so I will document the nut location then.

My PO fixed the clutch tube with a U-Bolt. He cut a bunch of door knob holes in the top of the tunnel trying to find the break and where to drill for the U-Bolt. Seems to be holding up well. I'll take a look at that this weekend too.

With all those holes it is easy to check for tube movement by yourself. blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.