Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Awww crud - mystery heads, can anyone help identify these?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
So I pulled the turbo intake and single Weber off the red car yesterday, that was discussed here Removing turbo set up

I went to put the dual Weber’s back on and there is no way it will bolt up. The bolt holes and spacing don’t line up. Looks like the heads on there have a significantly larger intake port and bolt spacing is different.

Blue is what I took off.

Red is standard 2.0 intake.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
I think the old phenolic spacers may be homemade or induction system specific. No telling what was done to the heads to make the manifolds fit. Try a set of CB tall manifolds and see if they fit.
Tbrown4x4
Can you take
A picture of the head? Intake ports, I mean.

Also, your engine tins might have been modified .
barefoot
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 8 2019, 01:23 PM) *

I think the old phenolic spacers may be homemade or induction system specific. No telling what was done to the heads to make the manifolds fit. Try a set of CB tall manifolds and see if they fit.

forget the bolt hole spacing, the ports are much closer together. Not sure how you could modify heads that much ???
Tdskip
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Sep 8 2019, 12:49 PM) *

Can you take
A picture of the head? Intake ports, I mean.

Also, your engine tins might have been modified .

Here you go - some funkiness on either side of these ports I hadn’t noticed before (first time taking the fuel system off).

Click to view attachment
HAM Inc
They look a little like Okrasa T1 heads, but hard to be sure from that close up shot and I haven't seen any of those heads in years.

Perhaps a pic showing more of the engine would help us identify what you have there.
SirAndy
Never seen a head where the 3 studs lined up like that ...
unsure.gif

Tdskip
Never head of Okrasa before, interesting.

It's a Type 4 2.0 case, but heads are different (obviously).

There was some discussion of this earlie - @McMark thinks they may be aircraft heads.

Prior discussion of these heads
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Sep 8 2019, 01:22 PM) *
Perhaps a pic showing more of the engine would help us identify what you have there.

agree.gif

sixnotfour
looks like you may found bigfoot....returbo and go for it.... driving.gif headbang.gif aktion035.gif stirthepot.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 8 2019, 04:32 PM) *
returbo and go for it.... driving.gif headbang.gif aktion035.gif stirthepot.gif

I'm inclined to agree with this. Clean it up good, put the turbo back on and run it ...
driving.gif
rhodyguy
CBs aren't going to work. The fin distortion on the right side behind the 1/2 of a threaded hole is odd. Is that melted aluminum?
Tdskip
First of all - you guys are awesome.

It's always been temperamental - shocker - to a point where it is a pain to live with. Love-love-love the suspension and brakes (all 911 stuff) so I think I am going to pull it out and put a 2.0 in for now.

Eventually this will get the 3.2 when I'm ready for that.

Once this thing is out I may fool around with getting the intake set up for regular induction after I get a better sense of what the hell it is.

Thanks for all the responses - hope everyone has had a good Sunday so far.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 8 2019, 05:58 PM) *
Once this thing is out I may fool around with getting the intake set up for regular induction after I get a better sense of what the hell it is.

From the looks of it, someone put some work into this motor to make it work with a turbo.

Chances are, regular induction won't work well on it.
shades.gif
Spoke
Looks like the original spark plug holes in the tin are covered with a piece of metal which is riveted in. There are rivets just above each spark plug as the spark plugs exit the tin right with the intake.
dakotaewing
Looking at the image of the heads, it looks like at one time there were 5 studs, or at least the 2 studs on the ends were used at a different time, and is no longer the case?
porschetub
Lots of chopping and welding,hard to understand why ?.
maf914
Tdskip,

Interesting thread and mystery heads! What have you got there? And where did it come from originally?

When you get a chance, remove the sheet metal cooling tins and post some photos of the heads. I think we would all like to take a look. idea.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 8 2019, 09:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 8 2019, 05:58 PM) *

From the looks of it, someone put some work into this motor to make it work with a turbo.

Chances are, regular induction won't work well on it.
shades.gif

Good morning guys.

@SirAndy - I think you were right. Your, any other guys, observations here had me do something that seems obvious in hindsight. I spent a little bit more time staring at it, with the benefit of having taking it apart, and the mixture from the carb goes through the turbo before it gets to the head. Meaning-there’s no way to bypass the turbo with all the plumbing is set up, so no wonder it was grumpy with the boost dialed out.

It looks to me like this was set up to run hard for relatively short time intervals.

I’m super curious to see what this all looks like when I get it out of the car in the tens off.
Mikey914
This is 914's world version of alien autopsy

Look at the plug placement
Tdskip
So in the next episode of my ongoing series entitled “this might be a bad idea but...” what if I bypassed the turbo altogether and just connected the Weber to the intake Y manifold as shown in the red scribble?

That would have it set up like the more common (but admittedly not ideal) single carb set up.

I’d get rid of the unnecessary S shape, and since this set up isn’t worth anything to anyone else (unique to put it mildly) so I really have Inc to loose? The Weber wouldn’t be altered.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 10 2019, 07:57 AM) *
So in the next episode of my ongoing series entitled “this might be a bad idea but...” what if I bypassed the turbo altogether and just connected the Weber to the intake Y manifold as shown in the red scribble?
That would have it set up like the more common (but admittedly not ideal) single carb set up.
I’d get rid of the unnecessary S shape, and since this set up isn’t worth anything to anyone else (unique to put it mildly) so I really have Inc to loose? The Weber wouldn’t be altered.

One last time, before i remove myself from this thread.

From the looks of it this was a custom build that included changes to the internals of the engine itself. Those heads are obviously not your typical T4 heads.

Chances are this engine was purpose build for the turbo. If that is the case, removing the turbo and running it off a single carb will give you horrible performance.
shades.gif

Tdskip
@SirAndy , OK, OK, I’ll give in to reality.

Was just trying to come up with an easy lemons to lemonade thing...

Thanks!
SirAndy
Just take the heads off and see what's in there ...
shades.gif
73-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 10 2019, 02:08 PM) *

Just take the heads off and see what's in there ...
shades.gif

Please do , inquiring minds what to know
76-914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 8 2019, 02:22 PM) *

Never head of Okrasa before, interesting.

It's a Type 4 2.0 case, but heads are different (obviously).

There was some discussion of this earlie - @McMark thinks they may be aircraft heads.

Prior discussion of these heads

They aren't Lycoming or Continental heads. AC heads and cylinders are one piece, Each cylinder needs to float independently of the one next to it because of extreme temp fluctuations. It the AC engine had heads like our T4's the cylinder would crack. Even the baffles (tins to a type 4) have slotted screw holes, in places, to allow for cylinder movement. beerchug.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 10 2019, 01:03 PM) *

@SirAndy , OK, OK, I’ll give in to reality.

Was just trying to come up with an easy lemons to lemonade thing...

Thanks!

IMO this engine is lemonade. drooley.gif I wouldn't be so hasty to assume it's worthless and no one else wants such a thing.

If you don't want to deal with it I'd swap the 2.0 you have in and let someone else work with it instead of modifying it to make it "simpler". Someone definitely put a lot of time and money into making it work in a very unique way. It'd be very interesting to see it with the tin totally off. Perhaps a reincarnation with EFI...
preach
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 10 2019, 01:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 10 2019, 07:57 AM) *

One last time, before i remove myself from this thread.

From the looks of it this was a custom build that included changes to the internals of the engine itself. Those heads are obviously not your typical T4 heads.

Chances are this engine was purpose build for the turbo. If that is the case, removing the turbo and running it off a single carb will give you horrible performance.
shades.gif

I cannot agree with Andy enough. Figure out what it is then run it as built. You may end up with a finicky outlaw but damn how many turbo guys do you know?

Disclaimer: I do have automotive masochistic tendencies...
914forme
So I will add some logs to the fire here. You have a possible unicorn, and I am guessing it could be interesting. In the mid to late 70s lots of crazy stuff was being done with the type-4 engines in racing. Lots of extra holes, welding, and modifying to make them bigger, better, faster.

I have a felling this engine might have come from the lineage of experimentation and should be saved. Drop the 2.0L into it and dig into the mystery, and if you don't want to do the dig, someone else will.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.