Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ball Joint Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BENBRO02
My ball joints are very stubborn. I tried a pipe wrench and they don't budge. Is there a specific tool that goes in the slots on the bottom ring to make removal easier? I haven't given up on the idea of driving to Okteenerfest yet.
jcd914
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Sep 8 2019, 01:54 PM) *

My ball joints are very stubborn. I tried a pipe wrench and they don't budge. Is there a specific tool that goes in the slots on the bottom ring to make removal easier? I haven't given up on the idea of driving to Okteenerfest yet.

Yes there is a special socket for those nuts.
It fits into the four slots, some versions have a ring that seats outside the nut to keep the socket on the nut as you loosen or tighten.

I think there was a member or vendor that was making and selling the socket.

Jim
ClayPerrine
Big hammer and a punch.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Sep 8 2019, 05:01 PM) *

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Sep 8 2019, 01:54 PM) *

Yes there is a special socket for those nuts.
It fits into the four slots, some versions have a ring that seats outside the nut to keep the socket on the nut as you loosen or tighten.

I think there was a member or vendor that was making and selling the socket.

Jim
thanks Jim
jim_hoyland
Like this ?
rhodyguy
Copious amounts of Aerokroil, tap on the outside with a hammer, spray and tap repeatedly, wait 24 hours and use an air chisel with a V shaped tip on one of the tangs. Scars the tang a bit but no big deal. Worked fast for me. Beating on it with a cold chisel and BFH? Nope. When one of those sockets lets go using a breaker bar or pipe wrench with a cheater it can be painful and bloody. Push away not towards the control arm. Don't push or pull your car off the jack stands.
mepstein
If you could get a pipe wrench on it, it will make easy work of it.
BK911
I use the special socket on an impact, and use a jack to hold the impact tight to the nut. Zap a few times, heat and penetrate fluid, lather rinse repeat until the nut spins off.
mepstein
Sorry, re-read the first post. Heat the nut with MAP gas, spray some penetrating oil or touch some paraffin to the joint while hot then pipe wrench. Heat will expand the nut and break the corrosive bond.

If you have a he socket and impact gun, go for it after you heat the nut.
Chi-town
Get the socket and a really mean 1/2" impact, put the arm on the floor, push the gun into the nut with your body weight, pull the trigger..

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.