Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What oil and gear lube should I use
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ratrod87
Hello I'm a new owner of my first 914, I went to Napa this morning to get the materials to service the engine and transmission, they told me I needs 20-50 motor oil and 89-90 gearoil. I tried to look it up on my own but was getting different answers, depending on where I live and ambient temperature. I live in Central east Alabama and the temp gets around high ninteys during summer and low thirties in the winter. Can anyone recommend and oil viscosity. Thanks sincerely Jerry h
Tdskip
Good morning / welcome / Congratulations on the car

As a new owner there are two really useful things you can do to help get your knowledge ramped up here. The first is to post lots of pictures of your car on any areas that you have questions about. The second is to make extensive use of the search capabilities because they will give you insight to prior conversations that often are helpful. Now with that said, by, and I’m sure others, would encourage you to simply ask as you’ve done because it helps keep the discussions here active.

There can be some debate about how thick the engine oil should be but the recommendations you were given are OK Assuming you meant 80/90 gear oil, but make sure the transmission oil is GL5.
rbzymek
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 12 2019, 10:15 AM) *

Good morning / welcome / Congratulations on the car

As a new owner there are two really useful things you can do to help get your knowledge ramped up here. The first is to post lots of pictures of your car on any areas that you have questions about. The second is to make extensive use of the search capabilities because they will give you insight to prior conversations that often are helpful. Now with that said, by, and I’m sure others, would encourage you to simply ask as you’ve done because it helps keep the discussions here active.

There can be some debate about how thick the engine oil should be but the recommendations you were given are OK Assuming you meant 80/90 gear oil, but make sure the transmission oil is GL5.

A better way to search the site is to use Google and type:

site:914world.com subject

I seems to work better than the built in search function. Welcome as a new owner!
Ray
IronHillRestorations
If you are limited to NAPA, get Valvoline VR 20-50 racing oil. You want a high zinc oil. If you are going to mail order, get Driven DT50 or Penngrade 20/50.
johnhora
If NAPA is your local parts house they usually have these on the shelf.
These work fine for the 914 and are at a decent price.

Sta-Lube 80W90 Gear Oil GL5- 1 qt NAPA Part #: SL SL2472
Valvoline Motor Oil 20W50 VR1 NAPA Part #: VAL 679082

Welcome to the crazy 914 world.... welcome.png
Ratrod87
QUOTE(johnhora @ Sep 12 2019, 12:44 PM) *

Awesome thank you for taking the time to help me, I'm still getting use to using this site and learning to navigate it. I'm having a hard time posting pictures , I'm not very good with computers or smartphones lol.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Ratrod87 @ Sep 12 2019, 01:28 PM) *

Awesome thank you for taking the time to help me, I'm still getting use to using this site and learning to navigate it. I'm having a hard time posting pictures , I'm not very good with computers or smartphones lol.

engine looks clean. maybe later try to upgrade from single to dual carb.
Did u acquire the car running? the reason I ask, if it was not driven for awhile, maybe just use castrol synthetic 20/50 for now and change the oil again after 1k miles or less before using better/expensive oil like bradpenn or other suggested by other member above.

enjoy ur 914 and for sure u will hook to this 914 or i say 914s?
Ratrod87
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 12 2019, 02:35 PM) *

Did u acquire the car running? the reason I ask, if it was not driven for awhile, maybe just use castrol synthetic 20/50 for now and change the oil again after 1k miles or less before using better/expensive oil like bradpenn or other suggested by other member above.

Yes I acquired the car running, but had not left the PO's garage for the past 3yrs due to the transmission stuck in 3rd gear. That was a easy fix so I wanted to change the fluids before we put some miles on it. I plan to put dual carbs on if during the winter if I can't find the stuff required to put it back to fuel injection.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Ratrod87 @ Sep 12 2019, 05:59 PM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 12 2019, 02:35 PM) *

Yes I acquired the car running, but had not left the PO's garage for the past 3yrs due to the transmission stuck in 3rd gear. That was a easy fix so I wanted to change the fluids before we put some miles on it. I plan to put dual carbs on if during the winter if I can't find the stuff required to put it back to fuel injection.

oh yes about the 3rd gear issue. Maybe you can just use cheaper oil for now and drive it a few hundred miles then change oil again.
I suggest also next is upgrade to dual carb and enjoy the car and for sure there are so much other need more attention fixing the car and while collecting the F.I. parts for future swap. Sometimes it is hard to find a complete old FI parts that will instantly run without any issue after installation. Enjoy driving it while fixing or upgrading some items in the car. Unless you want a long project on jack stand for several years before enjoying it. Well that’s me and just my suggestion.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.