Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Rod Pin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ballsyfacts914
The shift rod has a pin right after the firewall that connects the rod to the transmission. Both of the bushings were completely gone, as in not even there. Not really sure how I drove it home. Everything I can find shows how to remove the pin but the bushings are part of the process...I don't have bushings so everything on removal doesn't work.

I have tried using a vice, I have tried a punch but nothing friggin works... blink.gif

I have managed to damage ever so slightly one end of the pin but don't think it is a big deal, no mushrooming.

How do I get this damn pin out?

Thanks
JOEPROPER
I did mine today. I pressed it out with a hydraulic press, but you can use a bench vise if you have a decent one. 914Rubber has all the bushings or you can buy as a kit with a new boot and everything. Mine went pretty smooth, so while I was in there, I cleaned and painted the rod.
rhodyguy
Did you try pushing the pin into a deep socket with the vise? Big enough to receive the pin and rest on the bushings. Use an about the same diameter, just smaller the pin, bolt. Hold the bolt with a pair of vise grips. A little penetrant would help.
ballsyfacts914
I went to a machine shop that had a 20 ton press and had them drive it out for a 12 pack of beer! beer.gif
mtndawg
I’ve used a vice and socket on multiple cars.

http://914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=56765
IronHillRestorations
I also use a vise with a couple sockets, one 1/4" drive just smaller than the diameter of the pin and a deep well socket on the other side; and heat if required. I've taken dozens of those apart and I have had only had one that I couldn't get the pin out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.