Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bump Stop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trojanhorsepower
So I ordered the Bilstein inserts for the front. 34-001134. Haynes shows bump stops. I ordered bump stops, but they don't fit. Called Bilstein and they gave me a part number E4-AP2-Z118A01. Unfortunately this is not a good part number even on their website. It was a bad cell connection so I could have gotten part of the number wrong.
The question is are these the wrong part or am I just to wimpy to jam them on? If you have a part number for what I need please let me know.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
Bilstein, unlike Boge, does not use bump stops under the cylindrical dust cover. They are built into the shock.

@trojanhorsepower

If you have a Bilstein strut with a Bilstein insert on a 86 and up Carrera, you use the bump stop on the botton of the cartridge like the pic.
trojanhorsepower
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 16 2019, 09:58 PM) *

Bilstein, unless me Boge, does not use bump stops under the cylindrical dust cover. They are built into the shock.

@trojanhorsepower

Awesome! Thank you.

Peter
mepstein
There is usually a 2-3mm gap between the strut body and the top cap. That's normal. It looks like it should screw down flat but it doesn't. That way you know it's tight without bottoming out the cap.

Also, Bilstein says no oil in the bottom of the strut like the old days. I still put in a tablespoon just in case moisture gets in to the strut body.
trojanhorsepower
Thanks for the tips!
trojanhorsepower
Is the special nut that ties the insert to the spindle housing supposed to tighten down flush, or is that the gap you are talking about. Mine wont tighten until the flange actual touches the top of the housing.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment What washer is supposed to go under the lock nut?
914werke
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 16 2019, 06:58 PM) *
Bilstein, unlike Boge, does not use bump stops under the cylindrical dust cover. They are built into the shock. If you have a Bilstein strut with a Bilstein insert on a 86 and up Carrera, you use the bump stop on the botton of the cartridge like the pic.

FYI this is true as well on the optional Bilstein suspension pkg offered on the 914/4
I just happened to have them equipped on the LE smile.gif
mepstein
Is the special nut that ties the insert to the spindle housing supposed to tighten down flush, or is that the gap you are talking about. That’s the gap. Looks wrong but it’s right. I confirmed with bilstein the first time I did one.
Mine wont tighten until the flange actual touches the top of the housing. Correct.

The washer under the locknut is a thin washer with a small tang on the inside that lines up in the grove of the shaft so it won’t spin.
trojanhorsepower
As I reread my post, I see how poorly its written. So the gap is supposed to be there, hmm any reason not to put an o-ring in there just to keep out moisture?

Thank you,

Peter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.