Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transfer Silver Dot to a gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
Can you transfer a silver dot from a stock 914 gauge to a reasonably early 911 combo gauge w/o the dot? If so, can someone give the basic run down of how best to accomplish this task? Thanks.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
no they are different and so is the black ring, so will not match at all, send to Hartmut at palo alto and he will install a new face, needle assembly and new correct ring to match your tach and fuel gauge

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 18 2019, 07:34 AM) *

Can you transfer a silver dot from a stock 914 gauge to a reasonably early 911 combo gauge w/o the dot? If so, can someone give the basic run down of how best to accomplish this task? Thanks.

Literati914
So.. It's can't just be as easy as : removing the ring and glass (911 fuel/temp combo gauge) and glueing (contact cement) the silver dot from the 914 gauge to the center of it? Then putting the 911 gauge back together and installing in the dash? That wouldn't work?

914Sixer
Silver dot gauges have a center metal post that the cover goes over.
Literati914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 18 2019, 12:38 PM) *

Silver dot gauges have a center metal post that the cover goes over.

I figured that was a possibility... but then again, if the silver dot was stuck on the new gauge with cement - it wouldn't matter if there was a post or not, right? ...wait, when you say "cover" are you talking about something other than the silver dot ?

Let's try it this way:

-Can the ring/glass of the 911 combo gauge be easily removed ?

-Can the Dot be easily pried off the 914 gauge ?

-Will the 914 Dot fit under the glass of the 911 gauge ?

I must be missing something, what is it? THX.
rhodyguy
First time removing a ring can result in foul language. Maybe a little blood. So easily? No.
defianty
Easily done. I did mine.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2498212

Just be careful with the silver dot they're quite fragile. Oh, and I just glued mine on.
914forme
agree.gif So easy to do, it is not even funny.

The Dr. loves Palo Alto, and he is 100% correct about the shaft sizes and the needle hole being different between late and early gauge sets on Tachs and Speedos.

But the combo gauges, you just need to drill the correct sized hole in the proper location and install it. Hint if you do not want to try re-crimping the silver dot, the cap comes off and can be epoxied to the head of a machine screw. It is as simple as bolting it in place.

I did a writeup on how to disassemble the combo gauge on this site. It is not hard to do, and I have shed more blood due to cheap computer cases than I have on gauges for Porsches.
Literati914
QUOTE(defianty @ Sep 18 2019, 02:06 PM) *

Easily done. I did mine.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2498212

Just be careful with the silver dot they're quite fragile. Oh, and I just glued mine on.
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 18 2019, 02:47 PM) *

agree.gif So easy to do, it is not even funny.

The Dr. loves Palo Alto, and he is 100% correct about the shaft sizes and the needle hole being different between late and early gauge sets on Tachs and Speedos.

But the combo gauges, you just need to drill the correct sized hole in the proper location and install it. Hint if you do not want to try re-crimping the silver dot, the cap comes off and can be epoxied to the head of a machine screw. It is as simple as bolting it in place.

I did a writeup on how to disassemble the combo gauge on this site. It is not hard to do, and I have shed more blood due to cheap computer cases than I have on gauges for Porsches.

Good, Thanks for the info guys! So, what's the best method for removing the dot? Also, I'm still confused.. is there a pin attached to the bottom of the dot.. or is there a pin that comes out of the 914 gauge, that the dot slips on to?
zig-n-zag
The plastic silver dot is glued on. Under the silver dot is a metal plate 11.7mm x1.5mm, and this plate is attached to the post. Darn good glue.
914forme
agree.gif Nailed it, If you want to save the entire assembly, I drill out the pin with a very small amount of the wall left. I then take some pliers and slowly bend the edges up all the way around. The entire thing will drop out with a tap from a punch, I place the dot into a hole I drilled into a wood base.

To reassemble I have a holder that holds the center dot in place and I can take a die I made and get it all lined up in the press. Give it a bit of pressure and it is reseated.

I do all of that for what, because when you put it back into the new face, I normally add a bit of epoxy to make sure it does not fall off.

Don't want it to be like the needle in my buddies Cayenne with the sport chronologically clock, where you see the hand at the bottom of the gauge where it fell off. Lots of them show up on Ebay with the small sweeps fallen off.
mepstein
Timmothy put silver dots on all my gauges. It might not be “correct” but to me, it looks great.
Literati914
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 18 2019, 09:32 PM) *

agree.gif Nailed it, If you want to save the entire assembly, I drill out the pin with a very small amount of the wall left. I then take some pliers and slowly bend the edges up all the way around. The entire thing will drop out with a tap from a punch, I place the dot into a hole I drilled into a wood base.

To reassemble I have a holder that holds the center dot in place and I can take a die I made and get it all lined up in the press. Give it a bit of pressure and it is reseated.

I do all of that for what, because when you put it back into the new face, I normally add a bit of epoxy to make sure it does not fall off.

Don't want it to be like the needle in my buddies Cayenne with the sport chronologically clock, where you see the hand at the bottom of the gauge where it fell off. Lots of them show up on Ebay with the small sweeps fallen off.

Man, you're making the 'glue-it-to-a-machine screw' idea sound like the easy way!! beerchug.gif
jmitro
well I.....ahem.......spent $450 for a new silver dot on my later gauges.
But North Hollywood speedo also completely restored my original odometer, keeping mileage intact AND backdated the needle from black dot to silver dot biggrin.gif
euro911
Nice job, Stephen !!!

IPB Image
ConeDodger
I had mine done by Hollywood but they’re under new ownership so I can’t speak to what your experience might be...
John
Open the gauges.

Remove silver dot from one gauge (drill out the rivet from the back of the faceplate)

Mark and drill a hole in the center of the faceplate you want to add silver dot to.

Glue silver dot into faceplate

Reassemble gauge

I prefer to use the glass from 911 gauges instead of the plastic from the 914 gauges.

Click to view attachment
defianty
QUOTE(John @ Sep 19 2019, 08:42 PM) *

I prefer to use the glass from 911 gauges instead of the plastic from the 914 gauges.

The early 914 gauges were glass too. biggrin.gif
Literati914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 18 2019, 11:36 PM) *

Nice job, Stephen !!!

IPB Image

You're not kiddin' !! Love it. I have to ask, was that panel powder-coated or rattle canned?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.