Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Theft deterant. What do you use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
UROpartsman
For cars with an electric fuel pump, a kill switch in the fuel pump circuit is always good.

If parking a car that uses blade fuses for a while (airport, etc), make a dummy fuse by drilling through the fusible wire portion. Then replace the EFI/coil/fuel/etc fuse with the dummy fuse while parked. A smart thief who is familiar with the car might look for a kill switch or missing fuse when the car doesn't start, but won't probably won't think to pull all the fuses looking for a bad one.
thelogo
I always thought most 914s were stolen
By means other then driving them away

(Flatbed)

jd74914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 23 2019, 11:28 AM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Sep 23 2019, 09:45 AM) *

Lo tech solution

Takes a brave man to overcome this security system

Yes, German is the prefered breed for this kind of work.

agree.gif I'd say more stupidity than bravery. At least in the case of my shepard. I'm 100% sure he'd lay his life on the line for us [especially my wife] without hesitation.

A homeless looking dude came up behind me at a gas station a few weeks ago and literally turned and sprinted away across the street when his teeth came out. We had a good laugh. biggrin.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 22 2019, 07:50 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 20 2019, 01:09 PM) *

After my stolen 914 ordeal a few years back, i'm a happy subscriber to the hidden switch PLUS hidden tracking device methods.

The hidden switch will make it hard for someone to just drive off with your car, however, in my case the thieves came prepared with a trailer and just pulled it right out of the driveway.

That's where the tracking device comes in. It'll run for many hours on its own backup battery (if the main one is disconnected) and it'll phone home with its current GPS location allowing you to track the car.

popcorn[1].gif

Get a cheap prepaid cell phone. Load a "mommy tracker" program on it, the kind used to track kids. Then wire it into the electrical system so the battery stays charged.

If your car disappears, just pull up the mommy tracker program, and you know right where it is. I suggested this to a co-worker who had a 67 mustang fastback. One day he came out and found his 'stang was gone. He panicked, and forgot all about the program until I reminded him. The car was parked in Oak Cliff in Dallas. We drove out there at lunch and stole it back.

These are definitely the best ideas. Everyone I know who has ever had a car stolen has been via tow, not hot-wire, etc. Guess that just means they were more targeted thefts than random but still, tracking is so easy and relatively fool-proof.
bretth
I thought of an very impractical but interesting theft deterrent today. My daily driver was in storage while I was moving to a new home. When I got it back, it now smells of mold inside. So I put a ozone generator inside the car this afternoon while it was sitting in my driveway. Problem is that I had to leave the key in the ignition so that I could run the heater fan to circulate the ozone through the vents. At first I was concerned about leaving the car unlocked with the keys inside but then I realized that the lung burning ozone would have sent a potential thief running for fresh air.
Rand
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 20 2019, 05:47 AM) *

thankfully no one targets 914s these days, usually hondas and toyotas. The easiest thing to do if someone is trying to drive it away is to pull the distributor rotor. If someone is trying to tow it away, lock the steering wheel in full turn lock, that would make it hard to pull onto a flat bed

You are very wrong on this point. Many 914s are targets. Just ask our admin.
Pull the rotor.
Maltese Falcon
If this question was asked about 120 years ago;
Click to view attachment
Triaddave
Removable steering wheel, also helps tall or big drivers get in or out. I like the "lock it in a turn" post too.
PanelBilly
An old cell phone hidden in it. Might get taken but I can trace it myself.
914bub
I use a grounded rotor,drilled from the bottom. I know people think other people don't walk around with 914 ignition rotors in hand but if targeting an event with several 914's around it wouldn't surprise me if they did. If you've ever chased a grounded rotor problem it can have you scratching your head. The fake vacuum line/coil wire is another one. Crimp wire ends on your hose for authenticity! My favorite "kill switch" is the cigarette lighter trick. Use the cigarette lighter for the ground leg on a relay to control what your killing power to. I haven't used that one in years and it might not be ideal these days given the number of chargers used in lighters these days but it sure is decret.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 23 2019, 01:28 PM) *

Lo tech solution

Mark,
I could be wrong but that looks like a Belgian, and purebred to boot. Incredibly great agility dogs.
fiacra
I find the best security system with a German car is also German...

Click to view attachment
fiacra
@koozy you might recognize your old car...

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 25 2019, 04:06 PM) *

Lo tech solution

Mark,
I could be wrong but that looks like a Belgian, and purebred to boot. Incredibly great agility dogs.

I don't remember her lineage but she came from a Maine breeder that did a lot of police dogs and search and rescue. She was what I called a "German" German Shepherd, not a big American shepherd. I always had people stopping me to comment on her. She protected our family like it was her job but couldn't have been more gentle with kids and puppies. She passed away and we got a yellow lab. Sort of like going from a GT3 RS to a VW Beetle. laugh.gif
koozy
@fiacra I sure do miss that car. Great to see it enjoyed locally. You should come out and autocross her with LPR PCA. You will have a blast and the folks out there will be happy to see the car. That car's name was Stella. I'll see if I can find some old Autocross photos and send them to you.

And, to contribute to this thread my standard theft deterrent is a hidden ignition kill switch. It is incredibly simplistic but highly effective.
jd74914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 28 2019, 10:12 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 25 2019, 04:06 PM) *

Lo tech solution

Mark,

I don't remember her lineage but she came from a Maine breeder that did a lot of police dogs and search and rescue. She was what I called a "German" German Shepherd, not a big American shepherd. I always had people stopping me to comment on her. She protected our family like it was her job but couldn't have been more gentle with kids and puppies. She passed away and we got a yellow lab. Sort of like going from a GT3 RS to a VW Beetle. laugh.gif

Just curious, how do you tell a lean and small German apart from a Belgian? My german is very compact and dark and as such looks a lot like one, though his line has been somewhat recently imported from Germany. Belgians are incredible agility dogs but so are the little Germans, much better than the 100 lb dogs. Our vet maintains the more "German" style shepards are far healthier than the more common oversized ones bred here because their joints are actually up to task.

We just got a golden puppy. The Shepard loves him, but man is he dumb and difficult to train. Our Shepard is all ahout food and pleasing us. One side eye and he knows he's in the wrong, this golden forgets right after he gets in trouble. The differences between dog breeds are incredible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.