Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Theft deterant. What do you use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
surfdogskier
We just had a car show up here in Pigeon Forge the last couple of weeks. As usual every year, a bunch of cars get stolen. An I mean nice collectables. I would think it would be a no brainer to put some type of theft deterant mechinism on these babies.

What do you guys use on your rides to help make sure your baby is where you parked it when you come out of wherever?

Looking for some ideas and details.

Thanks,
Jason
Mblizzard
Hidden switches!

Small switches that control fuel pump and spark.

As the interior light on 914 is not so good can even use it as the switch.
surfdogskier
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 20 2019, 08:07 AM) *

Hidden switches!

I like the idea using the switch in the interior light hooked to fuel pump....I see you are in Knoxville. I am in Sevierville.
TargaToy
The factory anti-theft device should be effective for at least half the population (and growing).

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
QUOTE(surfdogskier @ Sep 20 2019, 04:56 AM) *

Hidden switches!

I like the idea using the switch in the interior light hooked to fuel pump....I see you are in Knoxville. I am in Sevierville.

Yep. there are a few of us in TN!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
thankfully no one targets 914s these days, usually hondas and toyotas. The easiest thing to do if someone is trying to drive it away is to pull the distributor rotor. If someone is trying to tow it away, lock the steering wheel in full turn lock, that would make it hard to pull onto a flat bed
injunmort
jackstands
Mblizzard
QUOTE(injunmort @ Sep 20 2019, 06:13 AM) *

jackstands

Funny they come and take the jack stands and leave the car!
Optimusglen
Most of my trips with the 914 are A-to-A, or the occasional car show where I'm going to be nearby. Haven't really had to think about security but I do admit the interior light switch is a good idea.

Though, if someone really wants your car, they're going to get it.
GregAmy
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Sep 20 2019, 09:32 AM) *

I lol'd.

A locked garage and a generous insurance policy.
74ravenna
QUOTE(injunmort @ Sep 20 2019, 10:13 AM) *

jackstands

lol-2.gif
mepstein
Back in the 80's during college, I drove my 914 up to New York city to go out with some friends. I had the car for 1 year by then and it looked great with new Guards red paint and a black interior. I parked on the curb and my friends were waiting for me so in my excitement to see them, I walked away from the car. Windows down, top in the trunk. We went out that night and then all crashed in someone's loft. The next day, around noon time I made it back to my car. Nothing had been touched and the keys were sitting on the floor where I had dropped them. huh.gif
74ravenna
I agree, if they want it they're going to get it.

So I'm covered;

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
$200 is a pretty pathetic reward these days.
ValcoOscar
We hired parking security for our 2019 West Coast ramble back in June. We used a local guard service that services movie shoots here in LA area. No reports of damage or anything stolen. Just that some of our guys were drinking in the parking lot until 2am. beerchug.gif beer.gif drunk.gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif

Oscar
HansJan
The 1-2-3 distributor has a ignition-kill, turned on and off with your phone.

But I agree that the stickshift, and doglegged 1st gear will hamper the thief's effort.

billh1963
Even if they know how to drive a manual, the sloppy linkage will confound many of them enough that they may just give up!
Mblizzard
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 20 2019, 07:19 AM) *

Even if they know how to drive a manual, the sloppy linkage will confound many of them enough that they may just give up!

That is exactly what happen when my first 914 was taken in the 80s. Found it less than a mile from where was taken after the thief could not figure out 1st gear and was unable to climb a steep hill.
JOEPROPER
Click to view attachment
napasteve
Battery disconnect. Also serves to reduce anxiety of electrical gremlins while sitting in the garage.

Click to view attachment
BENBRO02
My drivers door sags just enough that you can't open it from the outside without knowing the secret.
jvmarino
Easiest for 914's would be either pull the coil wire from distributor, or pull the fuel pump relay.
GregAmy
You guys are assuming someone will drive it away. These cars are getting up in value where someone would simply take 30 seconds to insert a wrecker bar under the front wheels and drag it away.

And if the e-brake and being in gear is your deterrent for that, note that the driver's glass breaks real easy.

Google "Jerr-Dann Element".
Cal
I find that this third pedal is enough of a deterrent for the younger generation today...
SirAndy
After my stolen 914 ordeal a few years back, i'm a happy subscriber to the hidden switch PLUS hidden tracking device methods.

The hidden switch will make it hard for someone to just drive off with your car, however, in my case the thieves came prepared with a trailer and just pulled it right out of the driveway.

That's where the tracking device comes in. It'll run for many hours on its own backup battery (if the main one is disconnected) and it'll phone home with its current GPS location allowing you to track the car.

popcorn[1].gif
Robarabian
I bought a 50 dollar magnetic tracker from Amazon and a 60.00 per year air card. I charge it about every 30 days. If the car is stolen I can track it. You can set it to alert you if it moves, or even leaves a certain geofenced area. TKSTAR is the brand. Was a little goofy to set up but they have good customer service. You can track it live, set speed limits etc...

Yes, a thief can find it and throw it but most of us don't just leave the cars unattended for hours, and if it moves you get a text. Pretty cheap for under 150.00 dollars.

I put one on my Tacoma and my sons FJ cruiser.
Minerva's 914
Every time I park my car I accidentally remove multiple fuses with my foot, works pretty good actually and I don't even have to think about it.
Gmanscott55
I have a removable Momo steering wheel on mine.
altitude411
Magnavolt (and large can of Febreze) sunglasses.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U4ZYOBzEEs
914werke
Foul bodily odor's happy11.gif
type2man
You can't stop a thief, you can only slow them down. Most 914's would be towed these days, so turning the wheel is a good idea. I had a 73 beetle stolen from me years ago. My guess is one guy opens the decklid and puts a wire from the alternator to the coil. Then they both get in the car and yank on the steering wheel to break the column lock, then they both get out and push start it. This is similar to a 914. I dont think anyone nowadays can shift a 914 properly unless they have owned one so I would have to go with tow truck these days
Porschef
QUOTE(HansJan @ Sep 20 2019, 11:07 AM) *

The 1-2-3 distributor has a ignition-kill, turned on and off with your phone.

But I agree that the stickshift, and doglegged 1st gear will hamper the thief's effort.

agree.gif

Not only was the 123 distributor one of the best things I’ve added to my car, the disable function is a nice little feature.

mepstein
Sorry but these cars will move in second gear all day long. I remember Bob Seville telling the story when Pappa Smurf was still a baby and he was was surprised to find another gear after starting in second for quite a while. I always leave my car in first to keep it from rolling.

Other than someone targeting a six or a show car, I can’t imagine why someone would steal a 914 vs a modern day car.
falcor75
Snapoff steering wheel disconector. Hard to steer without something to hold onto. smile.gif
StarBear
Heheheheee.... sad, but so very true!
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 20 2019, 11:19 AM) *

StarBear
1. Never park it in a public space that's out of my sight.
2. Have a marine battery disconnect with a removable knob - I remove the knob and carry it with me.
3. Yes, turn the steering wheel until it locks (tough to flatbed away).
+ Used to have folks remove the tire valve caps (Porsche emblem) and side view mirror (who knows why), but found the kids with the caps (and BIG threat to get parents and police involved) and do #1 above.
I like the idea of the "manual" sticker, but doubt a thief would be driving it away. A little while ago someone's high end car got stolen but thieves couldn't drive it - took enough time that the cops were called and nabbed them!
Superhawk996

Love it!. I need to find one of those!

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Sep 20 2019, 10:28 AM) *

QUOTE(TargaToy @ Sep 20 2019, 09:32 AM) *

I lol'd.

A locked garage and a generous insurance policy.
StarBear
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 21 2019, 08:47 AM) *

Sorry but these cars will move in second gear all day long. I remember Bob Seville telling the story when Pappa Smurf was still a baby and he was was surprised to find another gear after starting in second for quite a while. I always leave my car in first to keep it from rolling.

Other than someone targeting a six or a show car, I can’t imagine why someone would steal a 914 vs a modern day car.

agree.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(surfdogskier @ Sep 20 2019, 04:56 AM) *

Hidden switches!

The double trick when doing this is hook the switch to the ground on the fuel pump, no thief ever think of that. Sure they will run a hot lead wire with alligator clips, but no one thinks of a bad ground. My brother did this with his Jetta back in the day, worked great, the first time. The 2nd time the thieves just dragged his car a few block and stripped it.
90quattrocoupe
I use kill switches. One on the 914, one on the Audi, one on the VW Fox and one on the Ford Van. Mostly kill switches to the ECUs.

Greg W.
RolinkHaus
Best theft device

Click to view attachment
Rand
Just pull your rotor from the dizzy. Or take away the coil wire. So many people go through so much unneeeded effort and expense. It is embarrassing.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 20 2019, 01:09 PM) *

After my stolen 914 ordeal a few years back, i'm a happy subscriber to the hidden switch PLUS hidden tracking device methods.

The hidden switch will make it hard for someone to just drive off with your car, however, in my case the thieves came prepared with a trailer and just pulled it right out of the driveway.

That's where the tracking device comes in. It'll run for many hours on its own backup battery (if the main one is disconnected) and it'll phone home with its current GPS location allowing you to track the car.

popcorn[1].gif

Get a cheap prepaid cell phone. Load a "mommy tracker" program on it, the kind used to track kids. Then wire it into the electrical system so the battery stays charged.

If your car disappears, just pull up the mommy tracker program, and you know right where it is. I suggested this to a co-worker who had a 67 mustang fastback. One day he came out and found his 'stang was gone. He panicked, and forgot all about the program until I reminded him. The car was parked in Oak Cliff in Dallas. We drove out there at lunch and stole it back.

I have thought about a taser in the seat, but if I forget to disable it, then I would taser myself right in the @ss. blink.gif
thelogo
Lo tech solution

Takes a brave man to overcome this security system
shane
Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(thelogo @ Sep 23 2019, 09:45 AM) *

Lo tech solution

Yes, German is the prefered breed for this kind of work.
Rand
QUOTE(thelogo @ Sep 23 2019, 05:45 AM) *

Lo tech solution

Wow. That's something.
Front yard mechanic
I leave a note on the seat that says "bait car take your chances" I just hope they can read blink.gif
Chris914n6
QUOTE(thelogo @ Sep 23 2019, 06:45 AM) *

Lo tech solution

Easily disabled with a tennis ball lol-2.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.