Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suprised that accumulator is -6AN
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
I ordered some parts from Summit for connecting my (hard) fuel lines to flex hose the other day. I assumed that I'd have to find stock Porsche fittings to connect the new fuel lines to the stock fuel accumulator/filter that's required for my 2.7L CIS engine. Just for the heck of it I tried one of the -6AN fitting that Summit sent me and (to my surprise) it seemed to fit the threads on the accumulator and the filter. Could that be right, Porsche using AN thread sizes for stock fittings?

One potential problem however is that the accumulator/filter fittings aren't tapered or flared for the AN fittings so what will I need to buy to get the -6 stuff to work? Maybe some kind of coupler or something? I assume it would leak without a flare on both pieces.

Here's a picture.

Doug C

ArtechnikA
we just did this the other day -- check for Dr Evil's thread.
probably searching on some combination of "fitting" "CIS" and "accumulator" will narrow it down for you.
Dr Evil
Search "nipple". ejm sent me a nipple from his CIS parts stash. It was damn near impossible to find one until he spoke up. Places to look are any German car with CIS in the junk yard. All CIS systems have the accumulator and the nipple. However, some are 5mm and some are 6mm. You need 6mm ID. VW foxes have the 5mm dry.gif . Look in some MBZ at the vaccume lines, the ends have similar. I think that AN-6 fits, but the taper, like you said, is the wrong way.

BTW, thats is a sweet looking set up smilie_pokal.gif
DougC
Hey Evil, does the fitting that ejm sent you attach to -6AN hose? That's what I would need. And you actually need two right, one for the return..well, the accumulator has two fittings, do you know what the other one goes to, I haven't really looked in to it yet. Come to think of it I think the CIS unit has a fitting that goes to the second outlet (I just don't know what it's for, maybe a warm up regulator?) I need to read up about what Artechnika had to say about the earls stuff too... I find this plumbing stuf to be sooo complicated. BTW, did I attach the nut and sleeve correctly - there's a couple of ways it could go if you're a complete -an novice like me and none of this stuff comes with instructions.

Doug C

Dr Evil
Doug,
your AN set up is correct, but will not work unless you do what Artechnika said with the big o-ring. I havent tried it as I wanted a more stock approach, but he said that he has done it before so at least it has been tested.

Your accumulator has two fittings. The outer most fitting is the one that the pressurized fuel from the fuel pump goes into. The middle fitting, which mine came with the nipple on it, is the fuel pressure out to the fuel filter and onto the engine. The warm up regulator is fed from the fuel distributor. Let me see If I can get you some pics.

As for ifit wil fit AN-6 line, it is just 6mm. No prob, but the OD will likely be 8-8.5mm for the nipples. I am using 1/4" high pressure fuel line..Make sure that you use HIGH PRESSURE fuel line and not regular. Regular is usually good up to 50psi and fuel injection/high pressure fuel line handles 70psi.
Dr Evil
Here is a digram. The accumulator is #3.
Dr Evil
Another.
Dr Evil
Consequently, 1/4" = 6.35mm. Perfectly useable biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
FYI, because you will inevitable need this info.
ejm
Doug...you have a reply to your PM
Dr Evil
Hark! Tis Ed, the nipple fairy biggrin.gif wink.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jun 30 2005, 01:06 PM)
your AN set up is correct, but will not work unless you do what Artechnika said with the big o-ring.

let's just clarify...

my approach was NOT to try to use an AN sleeve and B-nut to the accumulator. and i don't think any sort of O-ring is going to make that workable...

i'm frankly quite surprised that the B-nut screws on, because the acumulator i used was definitely metric threaded...

i used the "power steering" adapter (link supplied in the nipple thread...) that - when used in conjunction with the large-cross-section O-ring - screws over the accumulatpr threaded fitting and converts to AN-6 male. you could use an AN-6 hose end if using braided steel hose, or you could use the flared tube with the sleeve and B-nut.
DougC
ok, you guys I may have confused you with the pic of the tube nut/sleeve..I'll be using that to connect the hardline (pictured) to the flexible hose [which is Russell (-6AN) Twist-on hose, rated at 250psi]. What I'm looking for is a connection from there to the accumulator. The hose I'm using would work better with the stock set-up I guess, since it's a slip on connector..but not completely necessary if I go with the Earl's adapter and "o" ring.
Notice the schematic that Dr.evil posted shows an accumulator with only 2 connectors but look at the photo that I originally posted and you'll see it has 3, one of which is on the other side. My engine is a '77 "s" and I think this is original equiptment. So I don't know exactly what that extra connection goes to. Ed promised to look through his stuff for an extra nipple and I really hope he has one.

Doug C
ArtechnikA
the ETKA picture shows only two connections, which i suspect is for the -76 accumulator rather than the 77- you have. so i donno.

the one i used (early '80's GTI...) had only two.

i can ask the 911 list if you want - my knowledge of 911's once you get out of the LH era is a little spotty... i don't know where a 3rd connection would go - unless it's a safety-return back to the tank in case of a ruptured diaphragm... but i'm happy to learn...
DougC
Yea, I was assuming it was a return to the tank. I mean I have a return hardline installed in the tunnel and have no clue what to attach it to from the CIS unit, so maybe this extra port will connect directly to the returning hardline.(??) Kind of makes since, unless there is a return port off the distributor, I doubt that there is.

Doug C
DougC
Rich - a couple questions for you..the part number that you posted in the other thread (991955ERL), is that large-cross-section "o" ring and powersteering adapter or just the "o" ring? Have a pn for the necessary adapter? Sorry, seems like you have the Earl's stuff pretty well figured out.

Doug C
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (DougC @ Jun 30 2005, 05:30 PM)
...the part number that you posted in the other thread (991955ERL), is that large-cross-section "o" ring and powersteering adapter or just the "o" ring?

that is *just* the adapter.

i was a little (but not horribly) surprised that it did not come with an O-ring.

i can't give you exact dimensions because the car in question is 2000 mi away... so - for instance - i don't know the exact dimension of the ID of the fitting -- but we know that it can't be smaller than the major diameter of the fitting onto which it screws...

i just went to a store with a really good selection of O-rings and got the fattest one i could find that fit into the female portion of the adapter...
ejm
Doug - I've got another of the same fitting pictured in the Evil nipple thread.

These were used on Audi's...not sure what year but it was the cars recalled for fuel lines few years back
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.